More serious Fairlight bugs

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mike Halper

More serious Fairlight bugs

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 3:17 am

I’ve been working on a couple projects doing sound editing and mixing with Fairlight, and have come across a lot of issues that’s making it very difficult to be productive. Here are a few that are the biggest issues that I can remember off the top of my head right now.

1. Plugin effects work at first, but then as they are continuously adjusted, they no longer work. I’ve tried deactivating the plugin and reactivating it, changing settings for the plugin, switching pages in Resolve, and even removing the plugins and adding them again, and none of that works. Usually I have to quit Resolve and open it again to get the plugins to work, but one time that still didn’t work. I just ended up leaving the plugins removed from that particular clip for now. This has happened with at least 2 different projects that are in 2 different databases. This happened with Fairlight Noise Reduction, Fairlight Reverb, RX6 De-Reverb, and RX6 Voice Denoise, so it is not limited to just third party AU or VST plugins. It’s a Resolve issue.

2. We’re supposed to be able to edit at the sample level, but I’m finding that if I have keyframes on a clip, there’s a limit to how close 2 keyframes can be together. In other programs that aren’t DAW’s or have DAW features like Resolve/Fairlight (I.e. FCPX and Premiere), 2 keyframes can pretty much be right on top of each other. This makes some precise sound editing impossible when it is absolutely necessary.

3. One time I found that a clip that I had disabled still played back audio, even when the track was set to Mute. I had to restart Resolve to get it to recognize that the clip was disabled and the track was Muted.

4. A few times I had Resolve completely crash out while I was trying to adjust keyframes. I would try to move or delete a keyframe and it wouldn't respond. I'd try another keyframe and same issue. Then a moment later Resolve would crash. I submitted the report from the window that popped up.

5. Not as much a bug, but when quitting Resolve and reopening it, the monitoring setting keeps defaulting back to Main 1. It should stay on the last setting it was set to, or at least give us the option. It’s annoying to have to set it to what is desired every time the project is opened.

This is all on MacOS 10.13.6 and Resolve Studio 15 official release.
IMac Pro Hackintosh, 10 core i9, 64GB RAM, Radeon VII, Decklink 4K Mini Monitor, macOS 10.14.5, DaVinci Resolve Studio license

Reynaud Venter

Re: More serious Fairlight bugs

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 7:21 am

Mike Halper wrote:2. We’re supposed to be able to edit at the sample level, but I’m finding that if I have keyframes on a clip, there’s a limit to how close 2 keyframes can be together
Currently, keyframes are required to be at least one frame apart - which does limit the user.

This used to be the case with Fades, where the duration had to be larger than a frame wide, but this was changed in beta 6 to allow sub-frame fade durations.

Mike Halper

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 2:34 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:
Mike Halper wrote:2. We’re supposed to be able to edit at the sample level, but I’m finding that if I have keyframes on a clip, there’s a limit to how close 2 keyframes can be together
Currently, keyframes are required to be at least one frame apart - which does limit the user.

This used to be the case with Fades, where the duration had to be larger than a frame wide, but this was changed in beta 6 to allow sub-frame fade durations.

Thank you for responding Peter. Is that something that will change for 15.0.1 or 15.1? I hope the other bug reports I mentioned can be fixed too, especially #1 as that makes Fairlight very difficult to use and be productive with if I have to restart Resolve every 10 or 20 minutes just to be sure plugins are actually working.
IMac Pro Hackintosh, 10 core i9, 64GB RAM, Radeon VII, Decklink 4K Mini Monitor, macOS 10.14.5, DaVinci Resolve Studio license

Mike Halper

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 10:00 pm

One more... Resolve frequently crashes when I move an audio clip from one track to another in the Fairlight page. Simply moving a clip up one track has caused a crash multiple times. I even reported the issue during the betas and it's still a problem.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 31, 2018 2:42 am

Mike Halper wrote:One more... Resolve frequently crashes when I move an audio clip from one track to another in the Fairlight page. Simply moving a clip up one track has caused a crash multiple times. I even reported the issue during the betas and it's still a problem.

Did you submit a crash diagnostic log Mike?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Donnell Henry

PostFri Aug 31, 2018 2:52 am

I can also confirm the first issue mike is having with the plugins .. seems we have the same plugins installed.. if I use denoiser on a clip for example.. after a while the clip reverts back to its original state when using the fair light plugins. I constantly have to take the plugin out and add it again.. at one point I got so fed up.. I just waited until I was about to export the footage add the native denoiser plugin, then rendered. As soon as you close the program or some time pass in resolve while your’e working it just stops working.

2013 Mac Pro 6 core d 500 with egpu Radeon Vega 56
OS X high Sierra Revolve 15 official version.
GODS CREATE

Mike Halper

PostFri Aug 31, 2018 3:39 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:
Mike Halper wrote:One more... Resolve frequently crashes when I move an audio clip from one track to another in the Fairlight page. Simply moving a clip up one track has caused a crash multiple times. I even reported the issue during the betas and it's still a problem.

Did you submit a crash diagnostic log Mike?

Yes, I did, both during beta testing and after final release.

Another bug, this one with the GUI in the Edit page. Frequently I'll use the handle on the ends of audio and video clips to create a simple fade in or fade out, and I can't see the fade in or fade out. The bar for the clip just looks the same solid color. If I move the mouse over the start or end point of the fade I see the handle and can even still move it to adjust the fade, but visually I can't see the length or shape of the fade. Fixing it requires a restart.

Mike Halper

PostFri Aug 31, 2018 10:25 pm

Another bug: Unable to copy plugins/effects from one clip to another with Paste Attributes. When I copy and paste the attributes nothing happens or it only copies the EQ settings.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 03, 2018 4:19 am

Mike Halper wrote:Another bug: Unable to copy plugins/effects from one clip to another with Paste Attributes. When I copy and paste the attributes nothing happens or it only copies the EQ settings.

Can you update your signature so your system info, in detail, and OS is on every post.
We also would like a new diagnostic log when you see this next, and a drp that can show the issues as I am not seeing them.

Mike Halper

PostMon Sep 03, 2018 9:27 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:
Mike Halper wrote:Another bug: Unable to copy plugins/effects from one clip to another with Paste Attributes. When I copy and paste the attributes nothing happens or it only copies the EQ settings.

Can you update your signature so your system info, in detail, and OS is on every post.
We also would like a new diagnostic log when you see this next, and a drp that can show the issues as I am not seeing them.

Updated my sig. Interesting that you say you’re not seeing this particular issue, but it is listed as a fix for the 15.0.1 update just released, 2-3 days after my post. Not sure I understand, or are you referring to a different bug/issue that I’m reporting?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 04, 2018 1:58 am

We need more details and logs to chase the list of items.
If done are fixed for you then could u confirm here?

Mike Halper

PostTue Sep 04, 2018 3:28 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:We need more details and logs to chase the list of items.

I sent a drp for one project to Enrico Budianto of BMD that he requested on August 15. That same project has these issues. I can send another project drp tomorrow morning that is more recent.. I will test with 15.0.1 tomorrow and let you know what I experience. What logs should I be sending that would show this issue when these issues occur? I know I've sent the crash report when crashes happened, so we're good there, but a lot of the issues aren't crashes. They are just Resolve not working properly.

Mike Halper

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 2:51 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:We need more details and logs to chase the list of items.

Peter, what exactly should I send? Right now at this moment I'm experiencing issue #3. I have a track solo'd and audio playing on the track where there's no clip actually there.

Return to DaVinci Resolve