Video File Formats

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

GrifsGrifBM

Video File Formats

PostTue Sep 04, 2018 10:04 am

Hi

I'm using Resolve 11.3.1 to fit in with my Win 7 Pro 64 bit system. I really do need a manual of sorts!

When attempting to import a video clip from my Sony A77 camera, it appears that the "Sony" format of ".MTS" is not recognised.

It appears that Resolve prefers aaf, edl, xml, fcpxml. I'm wondering how to convert to one of these, if that is the right thing to do, to .MTS.

Thanks in anticipation

graham davies

Uli Plank

Re: Video File Formats

PostTue Sep 04, 2018 4:48 pm

I'm sorry to say this, but you are missing some of the very basics of digital video:
Aaf, edl, xml, fcpxml are all modern forms of EDL (Edit Decision List), while .mts is a wrapper for video codecs.

If that version of Resolve doesn't take .mts video (I suppose the codec is H.264) you should rewrap it into .mov with a tool like ffmpeg. If command lines scare you, there are quite a few front ends for it, like this: http://hdcinematics.com
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

GrifsGrifBM

PostTue Sep 04, 2018 6:32 pm

Thank you for your hopefully helpful reply. Most grateful.

I managed to locate and download a 11.3.1 manual but there's little info on file formats and their extensions. So thanks for explaining things. Maybe there are related manuals.

I've been using a couple of Coral Video apps but mainly Serif's offering for many years. In thosecases my Sony video clips were accepted and proved useable.

With Resolve being so sophisticated a package, I'm surprised at the lack of acceptance of fairly common video formats. I've scoured the internet for conversion apps without success as I could not find reference to the extensions I've mentioned. So, hopefully further research, assisted by your good self might help me to get to grips with those various extensions.

Thanks again for your help

Graham davies

Cary Knoop

PostTue Sep 04, 2018 6:59 pm

GrifsGrifBM wrote:Thank you for your hopefully helpful reply. Most grateful.

I managed to locate and download a 11.3.1 manual but there's little info on file formats and their extensions. So thanks for explaining things. Maybe there are related manuals.

I've been using a couple of Coral Video apps but mainly Serif's offering for many years. In thosecases my Sony video clips were accepted and proved useable.

With Resolve being so sophisticated a package, I'm surprised at the lack of acceptance of fairly common video formats. I've scoured the internet for conversion apps without success as I could not find reference to the extensions I've mentioned. So, hopefully further research, assisted by your good self might help me to get to grips with those various extensions.

Thanks again for your help

Graham davies

Download ffmpeg from https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ and put in a folder.

Add the ../bin/ sub folder to the system PATH.
For instructions see: http://geekswithblogs.net/renso/archive ... ows-7.aspx

Create a terminal window (type Windows Button and R) and type cmd

In the terminal window type
> cd ... the folder where you video resides
> ffmpeg -i yourfile.mts -c:v copy yourfile.mp4

Resolve should be able to read this file.

GrifsGrifBM

PostTue Sep 04, 2018 9:30 pm

Thank you Cary

Will attempt to follow your suggestions and looking forward to getting grips with Resolve 11.3.1 so as to improve on what I managed to achieve with Serif Video studio.

best wishes

graham davies

GrifsGrifBM

PostTue Sep 04, 2018 9:42 pm

Sorry

Should have mentioned that I'm using Resolve 11.3.1 Lite and hoping to make good progress with on going support of generously helpful forum members

Thanks

Graham Davies

Uli Plank

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 2:52 am

Wouldn't Resolve 12.5 also run under W7? It's much better for editing and may support that file format.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

GrifsGrifBM

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 9:11 am

Thanks again Uli

Getting used to the Black Magic website now and checked your suggestion. It appears that 12.5... needs Windows 8... Pro 64 bit to work. I was directed to v. 11.3.1 by the UK support office.

Never tempted by Win 8 so assume if Win 8 needed, Win 7 won't do.

Things are beginning to get my brain working on these matters, all due to yourselves and the UK Support Office in Cheshire who have been very courteous and helpful. More than a doddery octogenarian deserves.

One other thing if I may. When I produce slide shows they're usually a mixture of A4 Jpeg (full 300 dpi & Qual12) stills and adapted video snippets of holidays and family parties etc.. Currently it's a Christening. I'm beginning to think that Resolve may not be happy with those Jpeg stills. Must give it a try.

Anyway, thanks for your ongoing help

warmest regards

graham davies

GrifsGrifBM

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 9:17 am

Just given Resolve 11.3.1 Lite a whirl.

Clicking on File - Import - no sign of a welcome for Jpeg files.

Best wishes

graham davies

Uli Plank

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 10:42 am

BM support should definitely know better than me, I tend to delete such things in my brain when I don't need them any more…

Maybe it's a good idea to get yourself familiar with ffmpeg, since it's free and could also transcode your footage into a format that your version likes to eat. If you find it too complicated, there are always frontends for it for a few dollars.

And then, it could be that your version doesn't even like DNxHR, so use DNxHD as a codec for HDTV (on a PC).

Al Spaeth

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 2:23 pm

Many have stuck to Win 7 as it was so much better than the disaster called Vista.
No need to be stuck on unsupported Ver 11 or lose Win 7.
You can have a dual boot system with Win 7 and all your apps simply by creating a partition or adding a HDD for Resolve 15 and Win 10.
Resolve 15.3 free Win 10 64bit

GrifsGrifBM

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 10:17 am

Thank you all for your very welcome and helpful response.

Apologies for delay posting this response we've been away for youngest grandson's first birthday and Christening.

All ideas presented duly noted with thanks. Hope to get most useful version of Resolve installed and looking forward to UK magazine "Web User's" workshop on Resolve 15 in next issue in about a weeks time.

warmest regards

Igor Riđanović

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 5:56 pm

You can run 12.5 under Windows 7. V15 may even work. Try it. The worst that can happen is that you have to roll it back to V12.5.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Return to DaVinci Resolve