DR 15 - Really Bad Playback

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mhumph

DR 15 - Really Bad Playback

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 8:04 pm

To start, I am very new to DR, and video editing in general. I have been using Adobe Premiere Elements for a while, and looking at DR as an upgrade. So far I really like it but I am having a lot of trouble with the timeline playback. It is pretty much unusable.

I fear my computer may be under powered for this software. I am on a laptop with an 7th Gen i7, 8GB Ram, Intel 620 GPU and SSD. However, since this is only a hobby, purchasing a new computer is not an option.

I have found several article and YouTube videos that try to address this issue, but none of them have made a difference. The video I am working with is 1080p at 60fps. I have added an animated title (Text+) and transitions between the clips (mostly dip to black or cross dissolve).

What I have tried:
1) Playback - use Optimized Media if available
2) Playback - Proxy Mode - Quarter Resolution
3) Playback - Render Cache - User
4) Right Click Clip - Render Cache Fusion Output - On
5) Right Click Clip - Generate Optimized Media

As a note, when I set the Proxy Mode to Half or Quarter, the red/Blue line disappears from the timeline. I thought this was the render cache line.... Does that mean it's not catching with those settings?

Are there any other suggestions to try to improve playback of the timeline?

On a different note, is the Render Quality of DR significantly better than that of Premiere Elements?

Thanks
-M

Uli Plank

Re: DR 15 - Really Bad Playback

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 12:32 am

Yes, unfortunately your Intel GPU is underpowered.
If better hardware (like a decent desktop) is not an option, Resolve is not for you.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Rob Smith

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 12:50 am

'Fraid your GPU and ram are most probably the things holding it back. I'd say Resolve is more targeted at the workstation-type setup...

That being said - I'd try *not* using any of the 'Fusion powered' effects - so that includes Text+

During all of the beta for R15 I never found a good solution for using them and having decent playback

See if that is any smoother for you :)

mhumph

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 1:09 am

Ah - that is a bummer. So far, I really like the software otherwise.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

-M

Return to DaVinci Resolve