How to do a News-ticker or Marquee with plain text?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Christoph

How to do a News-ticker or Marquee with plain text?

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 3:41 pm

Hi all,

I am new to DaVinci Resolve and so far I like working with it and found it pretty intuitive. Unfortunately I somewhat hit the wall by trying to add a kind of news-ticker or better marquee to a video so basically a line of plain text that is running from left to right at the bottom of the video.

I found a way to have some text running through the video using different positions and key frames, but even thought that is a start it's not what I am looking for. Somewhere I found the info that there was a news-ticker function in an earlier version but that doesn't seem to be there anymore or only in the pro version?
I am still working with the Free Version 15 and testing before I make the decision to buy.

So, is there a way to do so some kind of news-ticker with plain text?

Thankful for every help.

Christoph

Christoph

Re: How to do a News-ticker or Marquee with plain text?

PostSat Sep 22, 2018 6:58 pm

Hi all....

mhhh... only 27 viewes and no answer in over a week. :(

Somehow I get the feeling that this is either very common knowledge and therefore a pretty stupid question or the program simply can't do it.
The latter would surprise me since other programs I use for making simple short videos were able to do that without any problems. I was under the asumption that Davinci is in the same category like Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere Pro, maybe I am wrong here.

Thanks

RainerL

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 10:32 am

Hey Christoph, if you're still there, and still wondering, or maybe someone else is wondering
Came across your post needing to set up a news ticker myself and couldn't find a description how so had to figure it out myself. Turns out it wasn't so hard.
So, here's one way to make, say, a ten second ticker:
Put a L Lower 3rd title preset on the top timeline. Drag it out to ten seconds. Enter your text in the Rich Text box, e.g. "this is one way you can make a news ticker in DaVinci Resolve".
Activate keyframes and at the left side of the title clip move the end of your text so that it's just off screen - in the example text here, set Position x to about 1290.
At the right side of the title clip, position your text so that the start is just off screen, e.g in this example set position x to about -1600.
That's it. You can dress it up with a semi transparent generated media color clip or whatever. For longer text, I'd break it up and use several title clips. Hope this helps someone.

John Holt

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 8:18 pm

Hello peeps.

I wanted a news ticker that was responsive rather than having to set up keyframing.

Here's what I managed to come up with.

Using a Text node I placed a single line of long text repeating 3 times just to ensure it was long enough.
In the Layout Tab I selected "Center" and modify with expression.
In the modifier tab Point Expresion X I added the expression "1-(time/600)"
In the Point Expression Y I put the Y position I required in my case "1.3"

To change the speed change the "600" the lower this figure the faster the ticker.
This is then responsive (until the line of text runs out)

Hope that helps
John
Windows 10 Pro
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
64GB RAM
GTX1650 4GB :(
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB 1000.2 GB
Dual Monitors 32" & 27" Samsung
BM Multidock
Speed Editor
DR Studio Latest Version Fusion Studio Latest Version

Return to DaVinci Resolve