DVR 15 - Media offline when render cache is on

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

rfernandez2007

DVR 15 - Media offline when render cache is on

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 6:56 pm

Hi,
How are you?

I'm using Davinci Resolve 15.0 on Windows 10.
Any time I turn on the render cache (smart o user), the moment the red bar turns into blue, the media stops displaying in the viewer at that place, and instead, the message Media Offline is displayed.
I turn the cache off, the media shows, I turn it on ... Media offline. When on the same clip if I move the header over the red part of the line I can see the image in the viewer; if I move it to the blue part, then the Media offline message displays.
I've done all the standard procedures: reboot computer, clean cache, etc. I created a new project and loaded a single simple clip and the behavior is the same.
I have only one internal disk on the computer so there are no chances that it is disconnected.
I've tried to check the folder where the cache generates, and I can see the creation of the folders (with random names) but I never see the cached files inside them.

I'll appreciate a lot if you could help me make this work, as it is a must for me in order to be able to play clips smoothly in the viewer.

Thank you very much!
Best regards.
Ricardo

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: DVR 15 - Media offline when render cache is on

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 10:33 pm

In the Project Settings - Master Settings - Optimized Media and Render Cache area, what Render Cache format have you selected? Try other formats, and see if it's a specific format causing the issue.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

rfernandez2007

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 2:30 am

Hi Dwaine,
Thank you very much for your answer.

I did the following.
1.Set the render cache to None in the Playback settings
2.Delete Render Cache - All
3.Select a render cache format in the Master settings
4. Play the video going over red and blue areas in the cache line

I did this for every available format in the list, and in all of them I got the same Media offline message in the viewer whenever the line was blue (cached)

What would be the next step in troubleshooting this issue?

Thanks again!
Regards
Ricardo

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 1:39 am

It's got to be an invalid cache path then. Where is the cache path currently aimed, as displayed in Project Settings, Working Folders?

If it just says CacheClip, what is the first path in Resolve Preferences - System - Media Storage.
Dwaine Maggart

rfernandez2007

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 4:15 am

Hi,
Well, I deleted all media locations from the preferences, and defined a new one with a simpler path.
In fact I left only this new location in the list. And … it started working fine.
So I guess you nailed it.

Thank you very much!!
All the best.

ryanpaul100

PostSun Sep 30, 2018 7:36 pm

Hi Dwaine, I've got a similar issue. I'm on a Mac running Resolve 15.1.1.

My media is all linked, but my viewer shows the red "Media Offline" screen. BUT the red changes according the grade that's been applied to the actual clip, AND shots that have been stabilised you can tell because the red "Media Offline" page moves around with the tracking data?? I've deleted cache files, I've tried different cache locations on both local and external drives, I've tried deleting the affected bin and re-adding footage. Do you have any other suggestions?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 03, 2018 2:03 am

If you set Render Cache to None in the Resolve Playback menu, what happens?
Dwaine Maggart

jasonts

PostWed Feb 09, 2022 10:46 pm

I just came here through Google with the same issue. It was easy to fix, but I want to share what caused it:

The setting "Cache file location" was only set to "CacheClip", not a full path. After clicking "Browse" I had to give some permission to access "network volumes". When I did and then chose my Movies folder the whole path appeared. That fixed the issue.

The question is: Why was the initial value wrong? I am on a brand new mac and a fresh install of the latest Davinci Studio version.
Thank you for the help!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Feb 09, 2022 11:17 pm

Seems likely you are using the Apple App Store version of Resolve? That would be why.
Dwaine Maggart

Return to DaVinci Resolve