DaVinci Resolve Studio apple app store version.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nuno Santos Lopes

PostSun Sep 16, 2018 9:24 pm

Hello all,

probably this question was already made here, but i can't find any CLEAR answer.

I just bought a DaVinci Resolve Studio app version in apple app store for another workstation,
(i work as a DIT)

my question is:

This version only exports DPX frames??

Not jpg's, not tiff's and so on??

Why?

I've payed 329 euros, the same price as the dongle version which i can download in blackmagicdesign
site.....
what's the difference...??

if i want to download it from blackmagicdesign site will the studio version work after i bought it in apple app store? can i change to the downloadable version from blackmagic design site?

Thanks.

n.

Uli Plank

Re: DaVinci Resolve Studio apple app store version.

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 6:52 am

I'm very sorry to tell you, but you bought the wrong version.
The Studio version directly from BM has more features, but you can't exchange.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 9:34 am

Nuno, you can apply to App Store to return your purchase and then order Studio from a BMD reseller.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Nuno Santos Lopes

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 4:32 pm

Hi Peter,

really?

will they do that?

how can i do that?

thanks.

cheers.

n.

Brad Hurley

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 6:35 pm

Try this: https://blog.supereasyapps.com/mac-app- ... macos-app/

And if it doesn't work, I wonder if you can export a .dpx frame, download the free version of Resolve, import the .dpx frames and export your stills from the free version? I don't know if it would work and it's obviously a pain, but if you can't get a refund it would save you some money if it works, especially if you need those stills now.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Nuno Santos Lopes

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 5:35 pm

"Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 9:34 am
Nuno, you can apply to App Store to return your purchase and then order Studio from a BMD reseller.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager"

No way Peter,

i tried the refund but i got a message saying that this product is not eligible for refunds.... :(

that's not fair even not reasonable....

why is apple app store selling a version that costs the same than the one blackmagicdesign sells but with
less features?? this does not make sense and worst than that, the costumers are not warned on that.

this makes BMD not so good on the picture...

i just wanted to buy a FULL studio version....that's it.
how can this be so difficult??

RCModelReviews

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 5:51 pm

If it is advertised as a "full" version of DR and no mention is made of the limitations then I suspect your country's consumer protection laws would come into effect and you could make a legal claim for a refund. I've got to say that if *I* was in your position I'd be mighty ticked off!
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Brad Hurley

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 5:54 pm

Nuno Santos Lopes wrote:why is apple app store selling a version that costs the same than the one blackmagicdesign sells but with
less features?? this does not make sense and worst than that, the costumers are not warned on that.

this makes BMD not so good on the picture...

i just wanted to buy a FULL studio version....that's it.
how can this be so difficult??

Sorry you couldn't get a refund, but that's been my general experience with the Apple app store: I once bought Logic Pro 9 two days before Logic Pro X was released and they wouldn't even let me get a free upgrade.

The limitations you're encountering have to do with "sandboxing" in MacOS; in addition to the limitation you encountered I also think you can't use OFX plugins in the App Store version. There are a few other differences, all of which are described in the user manual (do a search for App Store).

I agree that there should be some sort of warning about this, but I imaging Blackmagic would get in trouble with Apple if they said "warning, the App Store version is missing some features." Personally I think they should just stop selling the App Store version altogether, but it's convenient for some people, especially those who live in areas without a local dealer.

Glenn Venghaus

PostFri Sep 21, 2018 7:25 am

Fell into the same trap long time ago when i found out the hard way that app store version did not support cuda gpu’s.
Just thrashed it after a rant and anger tantrum that i could not refund and bought a dongle and never looked back. Its just the usual apple stuff we mac users have to tollerate as usual.
Still a shame regardless who to blame , that there is no clear warning for potential buyers. You need to always be informed about what you buy and what the limitations are. No excuse.
And having it in the manual is useless as is a post sale read item.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Nuno Santos Lopes

PostFri Sep 21, 2018 12:49 pm

Hi guys,
thanks for your answers...
i didn't even know that this version does not support ofx plugins....
it's a shame!! not to say other thing...
doesn't seem right to me...
i really would like to know what bmd has to say about this subject....
i will probably do as Glenn said...
buy a dongle version and don't look back...
i am really disappointed...

thanks.

Glenn Venghaus

PostFri Sep 21, 2018 1:37 pm

With ofx its a bit more complicated as some work some don't or with limitations . The ofx itself has to be totally sandbox compliant etc. So your mileage may vary depending on which ofx you rely on heavily.
A dongle is your friend ;-) And you can keep your appstore version for laptop etc.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Daz Wood

PostFri Sep 21, 2018 6:31 pm

I have never owned a Mac so have no experience in how the store works, but would like to know why would DR be available on the app store if it's not the full version? Can Blackmagic get it removed?
Thank you

Daz
Davinci Resolve Studio Version
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

Brad Hurley

PostFri Sep 21, 2018 6:46 pm

Daz Wood wrote:I have never owned a Mac so have no experience in how the store works, but would like to know why would DR be available on the app store if it's not the full version? Can Blackmagic get it removed?

Blackmagic put it there in the first place. I would still call it the "full" Studio version, it's just a few functions that are crippled or unavailable. I'm sure there was some demand for it: buying via the app store is very convenient and it makes things a lot simpler when you buy a new Mac or if you have multiple Macs. But it does have its downsides.

Apart from the features that are crippled by sandboxing (which is a security feature in MacOS and a good thing in general) you of course also miss out on being able to use beta versions, which is important for some people. More importantly, new releases are delayed a bit (including new builds of existing versions, like 15.1.01 or whatever) because they need to be reviewed and approved by Apple before they're allowed on the store.

BMD wouldn't still sell via the App store if they weren't getting significant sales that way, but I think it's a double-edged sword in this case because it does breed ill-will. The "crippling" isn't BMD's fault but I doubt Apple would let them place warnings on the App Store that some features don't work, since Apple makes a significant commission off each sale.

Michael Tiemann

PostThu Nov 22, 2018 1:34 pm

The 3DLutCreator OFX plugin is really cool--if you have a dongle. It appears to not work in the sandbox of the App Store version. Mojave seems to have some new features about allowing more permissions for applications to do more things (Accessibility?). Any hope that the sandbox debacle crippling the App Store version could be fixed by BMD or its 3rd parties any time soon?
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

Uli Plank

PostFri Nov 23, 2018 3:18 am

For plug-ins, the third parties need to fix it.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve