15.1 "Change PowerGrades Path"

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

danielstonehouse

15.1 "Change PowerGrades Path"

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 6:47 am

I was excited to see Change PowerGrades Path as an option in the "…" drop down menu on the Gallery Panel in the colour page.

I had hoped this would allow you to move and set your PowerGrades to store and save to a chosen location. I was thinking setting it to a folder in dropbox would be handy, this would allow automatic PowerGrade backups, and PowerGrade sharing between machines.

I had hoped the folder structure would match the power grade folders, that filenames would reflect Labels set inside Davinci, and that drx files would be exported (containing the grades matched to the stills).

In short, I was hopeful for a file system based reworking of PowerGrades, that would allow for easy backup and management.

Instead what the command seems to do is:

After execution, new Powergrades (stills only) get saved to the new directory

Some (but not all) old Powergrades get copied to the new directory (on quit /startup)

Not hugely useful, and possibly buggy

Marc Wielage

Re: 15.1 "Change PowerGrades Path"

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 1:36 am

danielstonehouse wrote:I had hoped the folder structure would match the power grade folders, that filenames would reflect Labels set inside Davinci, and that drx files would be exported (containing the grades matched to the stills).

It is a drag that exported stills only carry the database reference number (timeline, clip number, etc.) and not the user label name assigned to it. This has been an issue since day 1.

My solution has been to embed the name/description of what the PowerGrade is so that whenever I have to transport them to a different system or re-import them to a new version of Resolve, I still know what the PowerGrade is. That's the only workaround I know that functions for me at the moment.

marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

danielstonehouse

Re: 15.1 "Change PowerGrades Path"

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 1:41 am

Very dedicated, Marc!

I believe if you use the “powergrades backup project approach” - create a new project, copy all of your powergrades into stills folders, export a backup DRP with stills and LUTS – you can preserve the labels?

Of course the downside is having to remake all of your powergrade folders, on the way in, and on the way out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc Wielage

Re: 15.1

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 8:19 am

danielstonehouse wrote:I believe if you use the “powergrades backup project approach” - create a new project, copy all of your powergrades into stills folders, export a backup DRP with stills and LUTS – you can preserve the labels?

Honestly haven't tried it. That should "in theory" work. We've wanted for a long time to be able to export stills with the user labels, which would solve the problem. For now, my workaround has hung in there since Resolve 12.5. A few things do not "stick" in Powergrades yet, like the Dirt Fix OFX plug-in.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve