Syncing Multiple Audio Tracks with Single Video Clip

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jose Mojica

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 11:38 am

Hi all,

I’m new to editing on Davinci Resolve. I’ve always done my editing in FCPX and then done color grading in Resolve. With 15.1 I thought I’d see if I can do everything in Resolve.

My first issue... I can’t find an easy way to auto sync multiple audio tracks to a single video clip. We have three actors, each one had his/her own track of audio, three audio tracks total recorded separately from the video clip. The video clip contains scratch audio. I’ve tried selecting the video clip, and the three audio clips, then choosing Auto Sync by WaveForm (both with the replace or add tracks option), but it only syncs to one of the tracks. It says it cannot match the other two tracks. And that happens with every clip. Is there a trick for getting it to sync to multiple tracks?

(In FCPX, i can select the video clip, and all audio tracks and just say, sync tracks and it works.)

Thanks!

Andrew Hassenruck

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 12:59 pm

I have the same issue in DVR14 when trying to sync two twin track mono recordings it only does on and makes it a stereo track. I had hoped this had been sorted out in 15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Version 18 studio
Macbook pro M1 max 64 gb ram
Mac OS 12.6
Cutting long-form documentaries and short film portraits

GeorgeDrake

Re: Syncing Multiple Audio Tracks with Single Video Clip

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 1:21 pm

Coming from Premiere I haven't found a good way to sync multiple clips in Resolve. Even bringing in an XML from Plural Eyes that opens fine in Premiere is way out of sync in Resolve.

If you figure out a good way to sync let us know!
Windows 11 | Resolve 18.0.3 | RTX 4090 24GB | 128 gigs DDR5-5200 | i9-12900K
Mac OS Monterey | M1 MAX | 64GB Ram |

Andrew Hassenruck

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 1:31 pm

GeorgeDrake wrote:Coming from Premiere I haven't found a good way to sync multiple clips in Resolve. Even bringing in an XML from Plural Eyes that opens fine in Premiere is way out of sync in Resolve.

If you figure out a good way to sync let us know!

That's true George I had similar issues with Pluraleyes
Version 18 studio
Mac OS 12.6

David Peterson

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 1:38 pm

Next time around, I recommend using timecode in your workflow.
http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/
https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding
Location Sound Recordist, in Auckland New Zealand.

Sam Steti

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 1:55 pm

I almost never had any issue with an XML coming from Plural Eyes 4... And I can tell you I'm really into this WF each year.
Don't understand...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Glenn Venghaus

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 2:15 pm

Several years of pluraleyes 4 use, zero issues ever. I n the older versions resolve could not always read the xmls but then i just washed them via some converter and tyen into resolve, but that was long ago.
Out of sync thought it never ever was.
Waht can create issues is you have used the pause button on audio recordings, whiich is a big nono as then either the beginning or the end can be synced not both. So start/stop only.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Andrew Hassenruck

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 2:20 pm

I guess syncing is a feature of Resolve that is available but is limited in how well it works. I wasn't using Pluraleyes 4 so I am glad to know that there are no issues.

When shooting with DSLR's and cheaper recorders timecode isn't an option and I am not sure if even then DVR would be able to sync several audio tracks to one video. Has anyone done this?

Thanks
Version 18 studio
Mac OS 12.6

Jose Mojica

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 3:38 pm

David Peterson wrote:Next time around, I recommend using timecode in your workflow.

We tried to use timecode but never got the workflow working sadly. However, I wonder since all the audio tracks have the same timecode, because they start at exactly the same time, can I somehow sync by waveform one of the audio tracks to the video clip, then say, now sync these two extra audio tracks by timecode. I can try that but I have a feeling it will just fail.

Jose Mojica

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 3:43 pm

Okay, so from the responses it looks like this isn’t just something obvious I missed. Good, because I was going crazy last night thinking DaVinci must have this for sure, since it’s so easy to do in FCPX.

bradyhall

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 6:24 pm

I just ran into this wall. I know Resolve is young and trying to do a billion things at once, but ye godz this is annoying. Pluraleyes was always garbage to me because it did everything in the timeline which is a joke at best. Resolve does things in the bins but if it can't sync multi-track audio then what even is the point? To be a professional editing system you need to be able to work with multi-track audio!

Sergey Mirontsev

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 6:37 pm

Jose Mojica wrote: ... We have three actors, each one had his/her own track of audio, three audio tracks total recorded separately from the video clip. ... but it only syncs to one of the tracks. ...

You can import one clip several times in different bins. And then try to sync.
Blackmagic Design Certified Master Trainer

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera (Samyang 12mm Cine, 35mm Cine)
DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.4.4.0007
Speed Editor 1.4.1
Windows 10 Pro 21H1, i7-7700, 32Gb RAM, SSD, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb (471.68 Studio)

bradyhall

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 6:48 pm

That doesn't work because it replaces the audio. I've tried many variations of trying to sync everything in one go or doing one track then syncing that synced clip to an additional audio track and it never works. It's just flat out screwed up and doesn't work right. This is awful cus now I have to manually sync this entire scene on the timeline and it will make what should be an easy edit a living, breathing nightmare.

Return to DaVinci Resolve