Fusion FX stand alone vs Fusion in Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AndreasOberg

Fusion FX stand alone vs Fusion in Resolve

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 12:49 pm

Hiya,
What are the main differences between Fusion standalone and what is built into Resolve?
I know Resolve Fusion was slower before, has that improved? I do not know Fusion well enough to do a good comparison.

Also have BM said if they plan on keeping Fusion standalone or will just have the "merged" version in the future?
I'm considering getting the full version but no point if Resolve is almost the same.

Best
/Andreas
VFX Director - Visual Forest Ltd

Sander de Regt

Re: Fusion FX stand alone vs Fusion in Resolve

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 7:04 pm

Since the full version of Fusion gets you the full version of Resolve as well, there is no reason to only get Resolve. There hasn't been anything officially announced regarding standalone, but it will be around for a while for sure. Meanwhile integration with Resolve will continue. The biggest difference right now - for me - is the fact that Fusion in Resolve doesn't support native Fusion plug-ins yet. And especially the Krokodove ones alone are worth keeping standalone around for.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

AndreasOberg

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 8:57 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:Since the full version of Fusion gets you the full version of Resolve as well, there is no reason to only get Resolve.

Does the full version of Resolve also give you Fusion?
Andreas

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 11:38 pm

AndreasOberg wrote:
Sander de Regt wrote:Since the full version of Fusion gets you the full version of Resolve as well, there is no reason to only get Resolve.

Andreas

It will give you only the integrated fusion, not the standalone
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Sam Steti

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 2:21 pm

AndreasOberg wrote:

Andreas
The full version of Fusion standalone gives you Resolve Studio actually, not the opposite...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Singularity

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 2:53 pm

Sam Steti wrote:
AndreasOberg wrote:

Andreas
The full version of Fusion standalone gives you Resolve Studio actually, not the opposite...

Is this true? I don't see anything on the Fusion page saying that you get Resolve Studio included.
Surely it can't be true. Then everyone would just buy Fusion and get 2 products instead of 1.
Resolve 18 Studio. Windows 11 Pro. Ryzen 2700x. GTX 3060. 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 RAM. ASUS Crosshair x370.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 4:57 pm

Fusion Studio dongles will run DaVinci Resolve Studio.

I’ve mentioned in a few posts and it’s included in the v15 readme

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=77723
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

MikeRochefort

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 6:51 pm

The thing with Licensing is that with Fusion Studio it’s a hardware dongle. You get both apps but you’ll need to carry that USB (and not lose it!) in order to use both products. Resolve Studio get you one product, but two copies of that product that are serial key activated. So it depends on what you need/personal preference.

Cheers,
Mike
https://michaelrochefort.com/
3D Lookdev, Compositing, and Sysadmin
Fusion Studio 9.0.2
Fusion 16 Studio
RHEL 7.6 | Intel i7-6850K | 32GB memory | 3x GTX 1070 | 418.56

AndreasOberg

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 7:06 pm

Ah, that would have been nice to know before we bought Resolve Studio, a hardware dongle is not a problem. Well it is not that much money to buy anyway I guess.
/Andreas

Junior Ikenwa

PostMon Mar 16, 2020 10:45 am

Sander de Regt wrote:Since the full version of Fusion gets you the full version of Resolve as well, there is no reason to only get Resolve. There hasn't been anything officially announced regarding standalone, but it will be around for a while for sure. Meanwhile integration with Resolve will continue. The biggest difference right now - for me - is the fact that Fusion in Resolve doesn't support native Fusion plug-ins yet. And especially the Krokodove ones alone are worth keeping standalone around for.

it is compatible with krokdove now

Return to DaVinci Resolve