Convert any previous codec to BRAW

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Eugene Afanasiev

Convert any previous codec to BRAW

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 4:17 pm

Hey, bros, thanks for an awesome codec, its so BRAWous that it could really play at 4.6k realtime with scrabbing etc so I would like to transcode all other previous footage to BRAW, would there be an option for resolve to encode and finish to braw?
__
--[[BMD's cameras and Resolve all-post workflow evangelist
My old stuff: http://www.youtube.com/rebelorelse
Debug: Asus ROG Duo GX550 i9 10980 48Gb RAM RTX2080MaxQ DaVinci Resolve Studio / Fusion Studio Latest Version]]--

Uli Plank

Re: Convert any previous codec to BRAW

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 1:39 am

Nope.

And it doesn't make much sense, since BRAW and it's optimizations are tied to a specific camera. Plus, it wouldn't be RAW any more. You'd need to first decode the source and than re-encode to BRAW.

Use a good intermediate codec instead.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

John Morris

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 3:41 am

As long as its a raw file that Resolve is currently able to process, such as CinemaDNG, then I don't see any technical problem.
I would find it very useful to transcode all my BMPCC raw files to BRAW, both to save storage space and reduce computing resource requirements. I would think there would be a big demand for that.
NVIDIA GTX1070 8GB
NVIDIA driver version 430.50
DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
32G system memory
Resolve Studio 16.1.1.005 1 GPU
Linux Mint 19.2

Asit Jain

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 4:44 am

Eugene Afanasiev wrote:Hey, bros, thanks for an awesome codec, its so BRAWous that it could really play at 4.6k realtime with scrabbing etc so I would like to transcode all other previous footage to BRAW, would there be an option for resolve to encode and finish to braw?

+1

It would save me lots of disk space by convert all my archived Cinema DNG footage to BRAW.
- Asit

Eugene Afanasiev

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 9:14 am

Asit Jain wrote:
Eugene Afanasiev wrote:Hey, bros, thanks for an awesome codec, its so BRAWous that it could really play at 4.6k realtime with scrabbing etc so I would like to transcode all other previous footage to BRAW, would there be an option for resolve to encode and finish to braw?

+1

It would save me lots of disk space by convert all my archived Cinema DNG footage to BRAW.

++1 And it so f-ing fast realtime I can't believe it and also it so much convenient to keep shot by a single file instead of 1000s of sequenced images that could not be reviewed without loading them to resolve.

so so much convenience encoding to braw would offer.
maybe next .version release of Resolve?..
__
Debug: Asus ROG Duo GX550 i9 10980 48Gb RAM RTX2080MaxQ DaVinci Resolve Studio / Fusion Studio Latest Version]]--

MishaEngel

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 1:02 pm

Cineform is the go to intermediate codec.

8/10/16-bit YUV 4:2:2 compressed as 10-bit, progressive or interlace
8/10/16-bit RGB 4:4:4 compressed at 12-bit progressive
8/16-bit RGBA 4:4:4:4 compressed at 12-bit progressive

https://gopro.github.io/cineform-sdk/

The highest quality with the lowest bitrate and computer resources.

IT'S OPEN SOURCE

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 1:37 pm

People talking about BM RAW- not an "intermediate video" version of it.
They want CDNG RAW to BM RAW, but atm. only BM can provided it. Maybe one day.
Only decoding part of BM RAW is public.

Eugene Afanasiev

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 4:39 pm

MishaEngel wrote:Cineform is the go to intermediate codec.

IT'S OPEN SOURCE

Why don't you suggest something like exr dwaa instead or anything else needless?
Have you even read the previous post?
No matter what codec you'd suggested as a workaround for now, I've seen a realtime playback of 4.6K BRO. And as I can not unseen it I can only imagine how good it could be encoding everything to it. working in it as an intermediate format for all the post things.
__

MishaEngel

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 4:59 pm

Eugene Afanasiev wrote:

IT'S OPEN SOURCE

Why don't you suggest something like exr dwaa instead or anything else needless?
No matter what codec you'd suggested as a workaround for now, I've seen a realtime playback of 4.6K BRO. And as I can not unseen it I can only imagine how good it could be encoding everything to it. working in it as an intermediate format for all the post things.

Sorry for putting you in a direction that works, the answer is NO and when you would have read any review or have seen any interview on the www. about .braw you would have known that the answer is no.

I've seen realtime playback 8k cineform on a i7-6700k, but since you only need 4.6k this is probably not good enough for you.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 6:32 pm

Eugene Afanasiev wrote:No matter what codec you'd suggested as a workaround for now, I've seen a realtime playback of 4.6K BRO. And as I can not unseen it I can only imagine how good it could be encoding everything to it. working in it as an intermediate format for all the post things.

Probably because you use CDNG as a reference, which is a joke when it comes to performance. This codecs belongs to era from 20 years ago. BM should never adopt it in first place, but they were learning and wanted something free, so they have done it.
Compare BM RAW to something good, like Cineform RAW and you will realise that it's nothing that amazing at all as for current technology (not sure why people are so amazed by it- well I know because if CDNG :D ). And if you not aware Cineform RAW was developed 15 years ago :)

BM RAW is just RAW format atm (which is slightly different than RGB or YUV based intermediate codec). You can make intermediate codec based on it, but I doubt it will be much better than ProRes, DNxHR etc. You have insanely fast intermediate codecs like Daniel2, which is designed for GPU decoding and blows in terms of speed current intermediate codecs by miles. This still doesn't mean it's great as it eats you GPU and in combination with Resolve (which wants all GPU power) it may not be the best option at all.

And BM RAW is not really open source/FREE as encoding is not publicly available.

Eugene Afanasiev

PostFri Sep 21, 2018 2:36 am

Eugene Afanasiev wrote:

IT'S OPEN SOURCE

Why are you so defendous about cineform?
Have you ever tried to export 12 bit cineform in 4k and try have a nice smooth editing experience with it? And I've tried and an it is not even close comparing to BRO.
__

Return to DaVinci Resolve