Major problem with Sharing a Project

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Brent Marginet

Major problem with Sharing a Project

PostSat Sep 22, 2018 9:08 am

So PostgreSQL is all setup and working properly however Sharing a Project that was started on a Local Database is proving to be a nightmare. I know it’s working because I am successfully Sharing another project that is just being used to Transcode footage on multiple machines at the same time.

If I copy the Colourist’s Project from the Local Database and then Paste it into the PostgreSQL Database all of his stills in the Gallery go missing, just disappear. The next thing that I tried was to Export the Project with all the Stills and Luts and then Import it into the Shared PostgreSQL Database that I’ve set up. This however creates two problems, the export gives me a bunch of errors about the stills and when I import it into the Shared Database only a few of his Stills show up but they are unusable. Each still that shows up is a solid black thumbnail and the original still name is replaced by <INVALID>.

Any suggestions as to what is causing this would be much appreciated.

Mac Pro 5,1 - High Sierra - Dual 3.46ghz 6 Core CPU’s - 64gb of RAM - GTX-980Ti GPU.
This was tried on both Resolve 15.0.1 and 15.1 with no success.

Seth Goldin

Re: Major problem with Sharing a Project

PostSat Sep 22, 2018 2:42 pm

The `.gallery` folder has to be specified in Project Settings, and if you’re trying to share across workstations, you must put it in a shared volume accessible by all machines with an identical path to each.

If you’re using LUTs, you’ll have to make sure you install all the same LUTs to each machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://www.sethgoldin.com

Brent Marginet

Re: Major problem with Sharing a Project

PostSun Sep 23, 2018 4:16 am

That all makes perfect sense and yes the Gallery folder was specific and has been shared. I think you may have misunderstood my post. The problem lies in the fact that if I Copy the Project from the Local Database and Paste it into the Shared Database all of his Gallery Stills are gone when I open the Project in the Shared Database. So he has several dozen Gallery Stills in the standard Gallery Pool and many more in a Separate Gallery Bin. So not only are the Standard Gallery Pool Stills gone but the Extra Bin that he’s created with all the other Stills is just gone, vanished, disappeared as well from this shared Project.

Now if I export the Project with the Stills and LUTs I get 13 Stills Error messages. Now if I then import it into either a Local or the Shared Database on any system (including his) there are only 13 stills in the Gallery Pool, the Thumbnails are black and all of them have lost there original names and have been replaced with <INVALID> for the name below the thumbnails.

So three of us are all working around each other’s time tables to get this movie done instead of all doing our thing at the same times in a shared project. Not so pleased with our first major use of the shared project thing when it doesn’t even come close to working properly.

Return to DaVinci Resolve