When outputting 5.1 audio track LFE channel has full range?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mike Halper

When outputting 5.1 audio track LFE channel has full range?

PostSat Sep 22, 2018 3:04 pm

I've output some video and audio WAV files with 5.1 audio. I see the LFE channel has full-range sound. This doesn't make sense. It should be low frequency only. Is there a way to configure the LFE channel to only have the low frequency audio?
IMac Pro Hackintosh, 10 core i9, 64GB RAM, Radeon VII, Decklink 4K Mini Monitor, macOS 10.14.5, DaVinci Resolve Studio license

Reynaud Venter

Re: When outputting 5.1 audio track LFE channel has full ran

PostSat Sep 22, 2018 5:46 pm

Mike Halper wrote:Is there a way to configure the LFE channel to only have the low frequency audio?
http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=75545#p418642

Mike Halper

PostSat Sep 22, 2018 6:19 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:
Mike Halper wrote:Is there a way to configure the LFE channel to only have the low frequency audio?
http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=75545#p418642

That’s for a different issue. I have a project with around 50 tracks of audio for a 5.1 mix. When I render out to the 5.1 mix the LFE channel is full range. I see no where to set an option for a low pass filter on the LFE channel. How do we do that? If there’s no option for that then I see the only way being to import the resulting 5.1 WAV files back in and separate the channels to 6 separate tracks and apply the EQ, then output again. Makes the delivery output take more than twice the time it should, which would be terrible. So how do we do it?
IMac Pro Hackintosh, 10 core i9, 64GB RAM, Radeon VII, Decklink 4K Mini Monitor, macOS 10.14.5, DaVinci Resolve Studio license

Reynaud Venter

PostSat Sep 22, 2018 8:03 pm

Mike Halper wrote:I see no where to set an option for a low pass filter on the LFE channel.
The LFE in Fairlight is always reproduced full range (i.e. no filtering is applied), an implementation identical to ProTools, Nuendo and Pyramix.

Sources feeding the LFE are either filtered, or are processed via a subharmonic synthesiser (such as Lowender), since the LFE contains low frequency content that is exclusive to it, sources which aren’t reproduced in the main speaker channels.

Mike Halper

PostSat Sep 22, 2018 10:17 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:
Mike Halper wrote:I see no where to set an option for a low pass filter on the LFE channel.
The LFE in Fairlight is always reproduced full range (i.e. no filtering is applied), an implementation identical to ProTools, Nuendo and Pyramix.

Sources feeding the LFE are either filtered, or are processed via a subharmonic synthesiser (such as Lowender), since the LFE contains low frequency content that is exclusive to it, sources which aren’t reproduced in the main speaker channels.

How do we filter the source track or apply this subharmonic synthesizer in Fairlight? For example I have multiple effects tracks, so how do I filter the signal that’s being sent from that track to LFE?

Or are you referring to the playback device such as the DCP player, media player, or BD player on the user end?

Reynaud Venter

PostSun Sep 23, 2018 5:43 am

Mike Halper wrote:How do we filter the source track or apply this subharmonic synthesizer in Fairlight? For example I have multiple effects tracks, so how do I filter the signal that’s being sent from that track to LFE?
Use an insert on the source “effects” tracks that are “LFE Only” enabled in their respective Panner,
create an LFE Track Preset and batch apply across all your “effects” tracks.

Alternatively, create a dedicated “Effects” Aux or Sub Buss (insert filters or Lowender on the Buss),
patch its Direct Out to the Return on the Main Stems, specifically to the LFE channels.

If you are monitoring via, say, a Dolby DMU, then sources routed to the LFE will not be filtered within Fairlight (i.e. the LFE channel is routed full bandwidth), instead enable the encode option on the DMU.

Return to DaVinci Resolve