Power windows not tracking during render

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

extrabyte

Power windows not tracking during render

PostSat Sep 22, 2018 3:38 pm

So I did some amall test renders of a 1300+ shot project that I'm trying to render.

What I discovered was on some of the shots, some of the power windows either don't track or skip along on their track!!!!!

What the hell???

I've triple checked everything on all the shots in the color page and all of the power windows track fine with no glitches.

Setup:

6K Red

All media on external hardware Raid 0 SSD's - 2.5GB read

Dual GTX1070's both in service for processing

Rendering to separate drive -1080p

Could this be a problem with the cache settings?

Any help would be really great as I'm under the gun to get this rendered today . . . .

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Power windows not tracking during render

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 2:37 am

Rob, please no all caps.. ive edited it this time but will delete the next.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Marc Wielage

Re: Power windows not tracking during render

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 6:26 am

extrabyte wrote:What I discovered was on some of the shots, some of the power windows either don't track or skip along on their track!!!!!

Which OS? Which specific version of Resolve?

Is the timeline at 6K or another resolution?

One thing you can try: under the "Clips" menu on the Color page, choose all Tracked Clips and then check all those to make sure there's no issues. I have not yet encountered a situation where a tracked window or mask suddenly stops working, but I have seen situations where I had handles on a clip and the handles were not tracked. And I've situations where a window was subtly visible under certain conditions, and I had to soften or narrow it (which happens all the time).

As far as I know, there is no node that basically says "make the windows stop tracking," so this is definitely an odd problem. Once in a blue moon (maybe 2-3 times in 8 years), I've seen cases where a window POPS for no apparent reason, and is inconsistent as to when and where it does so. My theory is that it's a corrupted node, and I was able to fix it by just clearing that one specific node, recreating the window, matching it to a still, and re-tracking it. I have seen this happen when pulling in old corrections on another timeline with ColorTrace, but not for a long time, maybe with version 12 or 12.5. Certainly not in the last 2-3 years.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve