Frustration with mxf

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Chris Holmes

Frustration with mxf

PostSat Sep 22, 2018 9:45 pm

Anyone else having issues with taking a 23.97 project and delivering a 29.97 drop frame mxf op1a??

I have tried doing this in 14.3 as well as upgrading to 15.1 on my Windows machine, yet both times it yields audio crackles and pops throughout. It also displays the dreaded 'media missing' red error screen for a second in the delivered video for whatever reason. These issues do not happen at all with DNXHR deliveries. As a workaround I thought I would deliver a DNXHR HQ file, and then take it to my mac workstation running 15.1 and convert it to the 29.97 op1a mxf xdcam file. This seemed to work as the audio was much improved, but I still found a loud crackle in the audio, and the 'media missing' spot in the delivered video was still there but now in a different location. The source file does not have these issues.
This is really embarrassing when I am trying to get this to a Public TV broadcast, and totally frustrating that I can't deliver a file that I need.
I think I will have to resort to delivering a DNXHR on the Windows machine and then go to the mac station to get a ProRes, as the broadcast station wants either mxf or prores.

To compound this, I would like to deliver discreet audio from the 2 mains I have, 5.1 and Stereo for a total of 8 discreet channels. However Davinci doesn't do this, it only exports 2 separate streams containing the 5.1/stereo file which does not work.

Chris
System Info
Resolve Studio 14.3
Windows 10 Pro version 1709
SuperMicro 7048GR-TR
Dual 18 Core / 4x 1080ti / Cubix Xpndr

dariobigi

Re: Frustration with mxf

PostSun Sep 23, 2018 4:35 am

The latter part of your post audio issues see a Vimeo file created by Juan Salvo in regards to assigning audio tracks in 14.3 resolve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dario Bigi, Colorist
http://dariobigi.com
New York
C: 1-646-436-4600

HPz840 - 2x 14 Core 2.6GHz - 64GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
2x RTX 2080Ti (SD 472.84)
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
Decklink 4K Extreme (12.2.2)
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

Chris Holmes

Re: Frustration with mxf

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 4:54 pm

I couldn't track the video down that you mention, but the fact is that IMF deliveries do this without issue in Resolve. I simply select, for example, a Stereo Main and then add a Surround Main in the audio delivery section and select 'one track per channel' and I get 8 discreet channels in one stream. Is there some reason MXF files cannot accommodate this?
System Info
Resolve Studio 14.3
Windows 10 Pro version 1709
SuperMicro 7048GR-TR
Dual 18 Core / 4x 1080ti / Cubix Xpndr

Return to DaVinci Resolve