Fairlight audio recording

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Gionni

Fairlight audio recording

PostSun Sep 23, 2018 5:39 pm

Hi everybody,

I've downloaded the free version of Resolve 15.0.1.003- really looking forward to replace my actual workflow including Harrison Mixbus4 as my main audio app for recording and editing. Fairlight however does not seem able to see my audio input no matter what. The sound is feeding in properly as I can see level in my sound preferences window. Signal is getting in in Mixbus4 and Garage Band. I am on a hefty Mac 2009 running El Captain 10.11.6

I am doing the patching right on a new mono track. I have tried 16 and 24 bits, 44.1 and 48 Khz.
Everything seems to be set right but no sound is recorded. Also is there any level metering for the audio signal getting recorded?? If not that is quite bad. Sorry for probably basic question and hope somebody can help.

Thanks!

Brad Hurley

Re: Fairlight audio recording

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 12:57 pm

As a first check, take a look at this 5-minute video (which was for Resolve 14, but version 15 uses the same procedure) and make sure you follow every step in the exact order. Probably the most important is that Resolve needs to be shut down first, then you choose your input in the Mac's Sound Preferences. The other important thing to understand is that no input is selected in Resolve by default; you need to set up the input manually using the patch window; this is pretty different from how Mixbus and Garageband handle it, so probably unfamiliar to you although you say up above that you are doing the patching correctly. The video shows you how.

I've had no trouble recording on my Mac when I follow these instructions. I suspect Resolve doesn't play well with all interfaces, though (based on troubles others have reported). If the instructions in the video don't work for you, what interface are you using to get audio into your computer?
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Gionni

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 11:50 pm

Hi Brad,

Thank you very much. There were problems with my prior set up/interface. Today I am using a Presonus Audio Box 2 and indeed I am getting sound in - I can monitor levels and when I hit record I can see the waveform creating by on the enabled track. But when I stop the recording and go in playback mode....the waveform goes away - track looks blank - and when I hit play there is no sound...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 7.49.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 7.49.13 PM.png (425.78 KiB) Viewed 1117 times
Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 7.47.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 7.47.19 PM.png (435.1 KiB) Viewed 1117 times
Last edited by Gionni on Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brad Hurley

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 12:26 am

Gionni wrote:Hi Brad,

Thank you very much. There were problems with my prior set up/interface. Today I am using a Presonus Audio Box 2 and indeed I am getting sound in - I can monitor levels and when I hit record I can see the waveform creating by on the enabled track. But when I stop the recording and go in playback mode....the waveform goes away - track looks blank - and when I hit play there is indeed no sound...

The only thing I can think of is this: the sound you recorded looks pretty quiet (based on the waveform), and in your screenshot showing the "blank" clip you recorded the volume line is at around the center of clip. Try dragging that horizontal volume line up a bit and see if you can see waveforms now. Or right-click the clip and choose Normalize, and normalize it to -6 dbfs (it'll default to 0, but that's too loud). See if that makes the waveform appear and see if you get playback.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Gionni

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 12:41 am

Thanks again - you were very helpful. Yes, bad gain management, all good now. I appreciate!

Return to DaVinci Resolve