Camera Raw settings reset after 15.1 update

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Octavian Mot

Camera Raw settings reset after 15.1 update

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 9:20 am

Hey,

I noticed that the camera raw settings have reset for some of the clips on projects I've been working on after I made the last update.

I'm running Resolve 15.1 Studio on Windows 10 over here.

Any ideas if there something I can do to prevent this from happening on every project I have?
Trying to keep it together at mots.us
Taming AI for filmmaking at StoryToolkit.ai

Jim Simon

Re: Camera Raw settings reset after 15.1 update

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 3:37 pm

I've never had that happen. Is it all projects, or just one?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Chris Holmes

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 4:42 pm

Yes, same issue when I upgraded from 14.3 to 15. Simply closing and re-opening the project or Davinci causes it, and also switching between projects causes any Raw settings(set to clip) to be reset to project. I believe if you have a saved .drp (prior to the upgrade) and import that it doesn't have the issues, but I haven't fully tested that. Also new projects don't seem to have this issue.
I went back to 14.3, at least until these existing projects are finished and then maybe starting with a clean slate, can't risk losing grading info on my current projects.
System Info
Resolve Studio 14.3
Windows 10 Pro version 1709
SuperMicro 7048GR-TR
Dual 18 Core / 4x 1080ti / Cubix Xpndr

Octavian Mot

PostThu Sep 27, 2018 9:46 am

Jim Simon wrote:I've never had that happen. Is it all projects, or just one?

It affects all projects started in any 15 beta version of Resolve.

Chris Holmes wrote:Simply closing and re-opening the project or Davinci causes it, and also switching between projects causes any Raw settings(set to clip) to be reset to project.

Exactly! Even if I change and save the raw settings in 15.1, then close and reopen the project, the settings are not saved. :(

Chris Holmes wrote:I believe if you have a saved .drp (prior to the upgrade) and import that it doesn't have the issues, but I haven't fully tested that.

I tried that and it still shows a very strange behavior, kind of like the contrast is super high - on the waveforms it also looks like everything's capped at around IRE 80. This seems to happen even if I export the problem project from 15.1 and then re-import in 15.1. Here's an example:

Screenshot (280).jpg
Screenshot (280).jpg (68.12 KiB) Viewed 1708 times

I've tried disabling and enabling every single node, one by one, but that doesn't seem to fix whatever is happening.

Here are the camera raw settings:
Screenshot (282).jpg
Screenshot (282).jpg (34.2 KiB) Viewed 1708 times

And below are the first and the last node which basically do some color space conversions
Linear -> BM Film/ArriLogC (node 1) then
BM Film/ArriLogC -> Rec 709 (last node):

Screenshot (283).JPG
Screenshot (283).JPG (71.12 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
Trying to keep it together at mots.us
Taming AI for filmmaking at StoryToolkit.ai

adamduartestudios

PostTue Nov 13, 2018 8:50 pm

Hello,

Our production office uses Resolve 15.2.008 Studio. We recently added resolve projects to our shared database from local to work in collaboration mode and none of the camera raw settings transferred. We are currently trying to assemble our Reel and can not color match. And because the project is in collaboration mode on a shared database, it doesnʻt allow me to select a timeline from the local to do the color match.

Marc Wielage

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 3:24 am

Yes, I had one project where some (but not all) of the Camera Raw settings were turned off when I updated the Resolve Project Database from 14.3 to 15.0. I was able to work around the problem by rebooting into a partition that has Resolve 14, then recalling that project and exporting it, then going back to Resolve 15 and re-importing that project. The newly-imported project retained all the Camera Raw settings just fine.

My guess is that there's some bug in how project databases are converted from 14 to 15.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

adamduartestudios

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 9:22 pm

Thanks Marc.
Makes sense as the one project we started in 15 kept the camera raw settings but other imported projects from 14 did not.

adamduartestudios

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 10:49 pm

unfortunately these projects were opened and exported from resolve 15 and now wonʻt open in 14. Is there any way to revert a project file to an older version?

Return to DaVinci Resolve