DaVinci Resolve Lite

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mark Day

DaVinci Resolve Lite

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 2:17 pm

I don't drink "Lite" beer so when you guys suggested that I download DaVinci Resolve "Lite" (since I'm dongle-less), I was a little leery. Anyway, I downloaded it last night. Everything seemed to install the way it was intended. So, I then removed the SSD from my BMCC in order to download the footage I had shot in Daytona a couple of weeks ago. Remember, I've also got a new (to me) Windows based computer. (3.3gHz, 8 gig ram, 512 gig internal HD) Well, when I proceeded to download the media - NOTHING. The computer recognized the interface, but there was no media to be found anywhere. Sweething asked me if I had formatted the drive before shooting. I said, "What?" "What do you mean, format? Well, to avoid an argument, I re-inserted the SSD back in to the camera. Next, I brought up the menu and then mashed the "Format" icon. It offered two format options. Then it dawned on me. I said, "actually, no; I didn't format it 'cause I didn't know what format to use." Well, she told me to format it to the "Fat" something-or-other, which I proceeded to do (not gonna argue with "headquarters".) Then, I shot a couple of minutes indoors (and this was yesterday evening). The only light was from a few lamps in the room. I set the ISO to 1600. After shooting, I removed the drive, inserted it in the cradle, and voila! After playing around with Resolve (and it did crash a couple of times), we were able to view and hear what I had shot. Although the image was a little darker than I anticipated, it looks like I'm on the right track. OK, I want to say thanks to all of you who were willing to share your input. Without your help, I wouldn't have gotten this far.
"Never mistake education for intelligence".

Brad Hurley

Re: DaVinci Resolve Lite

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 2:32 pm

Congratulations!

I have to say, though, that a lot of your misadventures, wasted time, and wasted money on under-spec computer equipment could have been avoided by spending some time reading manuals before diving in. The manual for your camera, the Configuration Guide for Resolve, and just the first chapter or two of the Resolve manual.

Four or five hours of reading could have saved you a lot of money and aggravation, not to mention the lost footage from Daytona. :)
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Return to DaVinci Resolve