Implement VEGAS PRO 16 editing way in DAVINCI REOSOLVE 15

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

arthur7

Implement VEGAS PRO 16 editing way in DAVINCI REOSOLVE 15

PostMon Oct 01, 2018 9:30 am

I am trying to get an answer yet reasonable as to why not have the choice to use a faster way of editing hundreds of video clips where you want to use the most classic transition effect which is crossfade or else dissolve.. i wonder why is it that hard to have a button function which enables/disables automatic crossfade when two clips on the same timeline intersect to each other! Also there must be at least 5 curve effect presets at that intersect just like Vegas Pro 16 does! IT WOULD MAKE IT FAR MORE VERSATILE AND FAST TO EDIT LARGE PROJECTS!!! Also i would like to see the auto snaping of edges to be applied also to the transitions edges so it would be more accurate to match along with clips on different timelines! Last one please if you could have a seperate icon tool for editing each stream seperately not having to enable/disable the lock/unlock stream button! I
ASK FOR A RESPONSE to my post and hope for the best!

RCModelReviews

Re: Implement VEGAS PRO 16 editing way in DAVINCI REOSOLVE 1

PostMon Oct 01, 2018 7:03 pm

Yeah, that's the one single thing I miss most about Vegas -- the ease with which you can do a cross-fade. The Vegas way also avoids the situation where newbies wonder (and regularly ask in these forums) why they can't actually add a cross-fade (or other transitions) because there are no spare frames at the end of the first clip and/or the beginning of the second clip.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Steven Reid

PostTue Oct 02, 2018 4:28 pm

I'm also moving away from Vegas and immediately missed the auto-crossfade as you describe. Yet, it is in Resolve. Perhaps you discovered this already: on a PC in the edit tab, click and drag a clip into another clip while holding [SHIFT]+[ALT]. Then see the cross-fade appear.
DR Studio 17.1.1 Build 9 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (20H2) OS Build 19042.867 | AMD Radeon RX580 8GB | GPU Radeon Adrenaline 20.4.2 - Driver Version 20.20.29.01-200910a-359160C (manual updates) | Intel i7-5960X 3 GHz | 64GB RAM

John Paines

PostTue Oct 02, 2018 4:52 pm

You can add the default transition to all clips on the timeline (which have sufficient handles) by hitting "t", selecting all (ctrl-a) and then ctrl-t. For clips that lack handles, you'll have a choice of either skipping them or abandoning the whole procedure.

When doing one transition at a time, the system offers the additional option of trimming handle-less clips as needed to insert the transition. That option is not available on a global insertion of transition.

There is no way to automatically remove the transitions once added.

Virion

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 1:04 pm

i wonder why is it that hard to have a button function which enables/disables automatic crossfade when two clips on the same timeline intersect to each other!

I am also wondering about that. I am also surprised why the clip is automatically cut. I postulate adding automatic crossfae options.

arthur7

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 12:30 pm

John Paines wrote:There is no way to automatically remove the transitions once added.

Fortunately they fixed this request in version 15.1! :)

arthur7

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 12:34 pm

Virion wrote:
i wonder why is it that hard to have a button function which enables/disables automatic crossfade when two clips on the same timeline intersect to each other!

I am also wondering about that. I am also surprised why the clip is automatically cut. I postulate adding automatic crossfae options.

Yeah! Just this little tiny button to be added, i can imagine how much difference would make to my workflow!! HEAR THAT DAVINCI RESOLVE DEVELOPERS? :?:

Jim Simon

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 6:24 pm

You can add default transitions to a group of clips with keyboard shortcuts.

Snapping does includes transitions edges as well as clip edges.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

arthur7

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 8:46 pm

Jim Simon wrote:You can add default transitions to a group of clips with keyboard shortcuts.

Snapping does includes transitions edges as well as clip edges.

That is the case with crossfading i use it almost all time and is much faster to just overlap clips and instead of trimming the edges with that clip i automatically create a desired default crossfade transition of 5, 7, 10, 20 or exacltly as needed frames on which after i have this default transition created i can change it by draging other ones to my taste from transitions tab for more creativity.. i dont have to lose precious time each time by pressing every time compinatin of keyboard keys and draging other transitions, i just then right click the transition i just made and select from the drop down menu list other ofx transition.

Return to DaVinci Resolve