aaf fails to complete after rendering all the shots

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jimferguson

aaf fails to complete after rendering all the shots

PostWed Oct 10, 2018 3:37 pm

I want Resolve to export a new aaf that links to the media it has already exported.

Or can resolve tell me why the new aaf failed so I can eliminate the clip, or effect, or what ever that caused it not to finish writing, and try again?

Back story:
I export an aaf from Avid (8.3.3), open it and Resolve (14.3) and grade. On the Deliver page I select the Avid aaf settings and render. Resolve will successfully render all the new clips (up to 900) but sometimes it will never finish making a new aaf. The beach ball just spins indefinitely.

I want Resolve to export a new aaf that links to the media it has already exported.

Selecting the timeline and exporting a new aaf in Resolve will make an aaf that links to the original media, not the rendered media. Please note that my Avid is on an Interplay storage system AND THER ARE NO msmMMOB.mdb FILES IN THE MXF FOLDER to help me relink.

Some work-arounds I have tried are:
1 Copy all the clips into a new Resolve Timeline and render the whole thing again. A waste of time since the media has already been exported. That may work BUT I will loose all the original Avid aaf’s resizes, Boris effects, and accurate timewarps. I can recreate all that when back in Avid but it is a tedious task open to human error.

2 Make new aafs in the Avid that are just sections of the sequence. So rather than make an aaf of the whole 900 shot sequence, I will make 9 100 shot aafs and ColorTrace and export/render those. They might work, but also a tedious task.

The Resolve is on a Mac 10.12.6

Thanks

jimferguson

Re: aaf fails to complete after rendering all the shots

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 8:45 pm

Or what if the aaf completes, but the Avid can not open it.

Paul Willis

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 10:26 am

I have had similar issues with this workflow exporting directly to an Avid storage system. Instead I tried rendering directly to a hard drive and the AAF completely successfully.

I don't know what the reasons are for this and it wasn't my setup so didn't have time to experiment, but it might be worth you trying this.
www.chief.tv
www.paulwilliscolour.com

AMD Threadripper 3970X 32-Core
RTX 3090 24GB
128GB RAM
Windows 11

Paul Willis

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 10:30 am

To import the files directly into Avid you could also move your rendered files into a numbered folder within the Avid MediaFiles structure, then open Avid. Avid should index the files and create a msmMMOB.mdb file you can then import. The structure must be Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1 (or other number).

There's a useful guide here which might help: http://obsessive-coffee-disorder.com/av ... roundtrip/
www.chief.tv
www.paulwilliscolour.com

AMD Threadripper 3970X 32-Core
RTX 3090 24GB
128GB RAM
Windows 11

jimferguson

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 1:56 pm

Hi Paul,
Thanks, but my Avid is on Interplay and there are no msmMMOB.mdb files. And even if I did import the media (I could AMA the mxf files, then consolidate) I would still need an aaf to link them.

I want to know how to have Resolve make an aaf that points to media already rendered.

jimferguson

PostTue Feb 05, 2019 3:34 pm

I find it hard to believe I'm the only one who runs into this problem.

Now Avid2018 11 and resolve 15

Return to DaVinci Resolve