Remote Rendering in Resolve 15

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

EposVox

Remote Rendering in Resolve 15

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 4:24 pm

Hi all! New here. I'm working on setting up a Remote Rendering workflow, but a key aspect seems to be... missing.

I'm on Studio 15.1.1.005. Windows 10 Home, the rest of details should be irrelevant, but I can list. I've got remote rendering working and have successfully used it, but I can't get the queue working without opening a project.
Everything I've been able to find/read thus far says to just "right click anywhere" in the first DaVinci Resolve window, the main project manager, and choose "Remote Rendering" to enter the Remote Rendering workspace. However such things show a right-click menu with FAR more options than I have. On both machines, neither have that option available, and the only way I can find to access that workspace is by opening the project first.

How can I switch to that workspace without having a project open?

Thanks much!
Windows 11 Pro | Resolve 18 Beta | AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X, Nvidia Titan RTX, 128GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 3200MHz RAM

alexoreman

Re: Remote Rendering in Resolve 15

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 5:31 pm

Page 2532 of the V15 Resolve manual goes over this in detail, it describes how to load resolve up in Headless rendering mode with a terminal command on all OS versions.

There is no "right click anywhere" to put a resolve machine in remote rendering mode when in the program, it is a top bar menu item under Workspace, also in the greatly detailed manual :)

Good luck.

EposVox

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 5:45 pm

Mind pointing me to where I can find it? I'm only finding a reference manual for 14, which doesn't have that many pages nor seems to mention it, and for 15 I'm only finding a "new features guide," which again isn't it.

And again, accessing the Workspace menu requires already having a project up, which is not how anything I have read/found thus far says needs to happen.

"Good luck."
Windows 11 Pro | Resolve 18 Beta | AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X, Nvidia Titan RTX, 128GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 3200MHz RAM

EposVox

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 5:49 pm

From the amazing manual:
Open DaVinci Resolve on the remote workstation, and do one of the following:
When the Project Browser opens, right-click anywhere and choose Remote Rendering

Jason Conrad

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 9:36 pm

EposVox wrote:and for 15 I'm only finding a "new features guide,"

If you open the manual from the help menu, it should open the most current one. If you're already doing that, and it's bringing up the new features guide, check to make sure you're running the latest version of Resolve. If you are, you might try a clean install (run the uninstall utility before you re-install).

As for right-click anywhere, that menu item disappeared with R15, and the manual hasn't been updated to reflect that fact. Or, maybe the missing menu item is a bug? Anyway, as Alex said, you have to open a project (any project) and start remote rendering from the Workspace menu.

alternatively, you can headless render from the command line by navigating to the resolve executable and running ./Resolve -rr
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

EposVox

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 10:01 pm

Jason Conrad wrote:As for right-click anywhere, that menu item disappeared with R15, and the manual hasn't been updated to reflect that fact. Or, maybe the missing menu item is a bug? Anyway, as Alex said, you have to open a project (any project) and start remote rendering from the Workspace menu.
alternatively, you can headless render from the command line by navigating to the resolve executable and running ./Resolve -rr

I'm seriously hoping this is a bug and they fix that soon - the dedicated Remote Render queue serves a purpose. While I can make a blank project and leave it open, that's just very clearly not the intended functionality.
And TBH the headless render isn't a desirable way to go given that it is, well, headless. If it gave any sort of verbose progress/activity status via command line, I'd be happy with it, but 100% headless is not what I'm after.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 2:09 am

If u have the Studio version on both clients, shared storage and shared database server, it works as promoted. Have you configured your systems as above?

If so, please detail the config and the issue you find.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

EposVox

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 3:12 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:If u have the Studio version on both clients, shared storage and shared database server, it works as promoted. Have you configured your systems as above?

If so, please detail the config and the issue you find.

Yes, I can successfully interact between machines and remote render with a project open on remote renderer machine. The problem is I cannot access the remote rendering dialog/workspace (as detailed in the manual) without a project open. The manual states that remote rendering can be accessed from the normal Project Manager window without any projects open, so you can just have the queue open without a specific project - yet the options for such a thing are missing, as confirmed by another poster in this thread.
The right-click menu in the Project Manager window has no "Remote Render" option anymore.

Both rigs have Studio activated and updated. Project server running on machine #2, create and edit project on machine #1 within #2's database. Firewall exceptions have been made for PostgreSQL. I cannot send project from machine #1 to #2 to render without first opening a project on #2 and then opening the Remote Render workspace. I would like to see the queue and activity, progress, etc. and having an empty project open seems like a silly waste of screen space, especially when the manual states it can be done without it.
And the command line method is 100% headless so I cannot monitor anything at all.

EposVox

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 12:31 am

For clarity, I've screen captured a quick video showcasing where in the manual it states this, as well as the described functionality just not being present. This is consistent across multiple machines, despite having remote rendering on the whole working.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 2:36 am

Hi Adam

Your video is not accessible. Could you try this, and see if it works?

On the render client:
Entering Remote Rendering.png
Entering Remote Rendering.png (231.83 KiB) Viewed 6146 times

On your main machine:
queueing.png
queueing.png (7.44 KiB) Viewed 6146 times

Page 2531 on the V15 manual provides more detail on how to set it up on the render machine and how to start it on your machine.

EposVox

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 3:09 am

The video should be available now - YouTube was having a worldwide outage. (joy)

Yes, the problem is the manual (on that page you list) specifies the ability to open/manage the Remote Render queue without having to have a project open. This is what I'm trying to achieve and seems to be unavailable.

EposVox

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 3:22 am

From the manual, page 2531:

I'm trying to utilize the first one. I specifically DON'T want to have to have a project open to manage the queue if that's an option, and the manual specifically states that you don't have to.
But this is the only right-click menu I get in the Project Manager:

I can successfully remote render with projects open but the context menu to access this workspace without one open is missing. Has been documented since Version 12, but I can't seem to access it.

EposVox

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 4:58 pm

I'd be happy with even just a confirmation that the feature is depreciated, or bugged and fixed eventually, I guess.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 12:37 am

It's been deprecated and the manual will be updated to reflect this.

You'll need to open a project and select Remote Rendering in the Workspace menu.

Or use the "headless" approach as detailed on page 2532.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

EposVox

PostSat Oct 20, 2018 12:12 am

That's upsetting. Thanks for letting me know.

Return to DaVinci Resolve