Playback Pauses/Stutters randomly, application unresponsive.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ryan Hopkins

Playback Pauses/Stutters randomly, application unresponsive.

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 6:52 pm

Hi there,

For a long time I've had an intermittent issue with Resolve. Actually several, but I'll focus on the most frustrating in this post. During playback, occasionally it will pause itself or stutter a lot before pausing, the audio meters on the right will start bouncing up and down once every second, and the application becomes effectively unresponsive, with the exception of some functions like saving and play/pause (which only lights up the "Play" button and causes the audio meters to bounce).

Sometimes if I catch it quick enough, moving the playhead forwards a few seconds will allow playback to continue, but the spot where it initially paused remains problematic if I go back to it. In addition, when this happens, sometimes the process will stay open even after closing the application, requiring me to kill it in Task Manager in order to re-open Resolve.

As for hardware/software specifications:
DaVinci Resolve 15.1.1.005 (Though I've had this issue going back as far as the initial release of Resolve 14)
Windows 10 64-bit Version 1809
CPU: AMD Ryzen 1700 (Overclocked to 3.9GHz stable)
GPU: NVidia GTX 1070 Strix (Asus, Stock)
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000
Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD (video files)

All video files used are 1080p24.

If any further information is required, please ask. The bug is intermittent so I'm unable to replicate it with any consistency.

Regards,

-Ryan Hopkins

Return to DaVinci Resolve