Drop Shadow filter urgently needed

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Will Vazquez

Drop Shadow filter urgently needed

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 9:55 pm

The only reason I haven't switched over to Resolve from FCPX 100%, is the fact of not having a simple drop shadow filter. I use that filter a lot, especially when you drop in a client logo. PLEASE...PLEASE... Blackmagic, I beg of you, add a drop shadow filter in next release. Thanks!!

roger.magnusson

Re: Drop Shadow filter urgently needed

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 10:25 pm

The Fusion page in Resolve can make almost anything you can think of. Granted, it won't be as fast as if BMD did a ResolveFX plugin, but certainly more customizable.

Will Vazquez

PostSat Oct 13, 2018 11:13 am

roger.magnusson wrote:The Fusion page in Resolve can make almost anything you can think of. Granted, it won't be as fast as if BMD did a ResolveFX plugin, but certainly more customizable.

I haven't explored creating a drop shadow effect in the Fusion tab yet, but I'm looking for a simpler workflow within the edit tab. They were able to add drop shadows to the text generator, so perhaps Blackmagic can help us work more efficiently and add the ResolveFX plugin. Thanks.

Andy Mees

PostSat Oct 13, 2018 12:11 pm

Hey Will

Assuming you still need a Drop Shadow whilst you wait ... just know that what you want to do is super easy in Fusion. In the long run, it may be worth your while learning a few of the basics so that you can make use of some of its capabilities.

Just place the playhead over the clip that needs a drop shadow (am assuming its on the top track).
Switch to the Fusion page.
Open the Effects Library and then select Tools > Effect > Shadow.
You'll see the Shadow controls in the Inspector window ... tweak as needed.

Hope it helps
Andy

Miltos Pilalitos

PostSat Oct 13, 2018 5:13 pm

Will Vazquez wrote:The only reason I haven't switched over to Resolve from FCPX 100%, is the fact of not having a simple drop shadow filter. I use that filter a lot, especially when you drop in a client logo. PLEASE...PLEASE... Blackmagic, I beg of you, add a drop shadow filter in next release. Thanks!!

There is absolutely no reason to add a filter that already exists in the Fusion page and is super easy to use.
Windows 10 x64 • Threadripper 1950x • 64GB RAM • RTX 4090 24GB • Latest Nvidia drivers
Fusioneer since Fu4.0 • Resolver since v9

Will Vazquez

PostSun Oct 14, 2018 2:48 pm

Well I just tested the Shadow filter in the Fusion page, and wow is it buggy. I applied the filter on two different logos, on the timeline. When I first applied the shadows, I returned to the edit page and everything looked good, and continued to work on other parts of the edit, then all of the sudden, one of the logos with the shadow turned the whole clip black, and on the second logo, the logo jumps in scale half way through, when I never altered position. If you look in the inspector, it shows it at the same scale size throughout, but somehow, when you play it, it jumps in scale. So no my friends, this solution is not yet ready for prime time.

Jean Claude

PostSun Oct 14, 2018 5:52 pm

I think this Fusion Shadow works very well, even on 2 logos + alpha + a background compound clip. It will be necessary to try again :)

(It's a quick test ...)

shadows.jpg
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Rick van den Berg

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 6:35 am

Will Vazquez wrote:Well I just tested the Shadow filter in the Fusion page, and wow is it buggy. I applied the filter on two different logos, on the timeline. When I first applied the shadows, I returned to the edit page and everything looked good, and continued to work on other parts of the edit, then all of the sudden, one of the logos with the shadow turned the whole clip black, and on the second logo, the logo jumps in scale half way through, when I never altered position. If you look in the inspector, it shows it at the same scale size throughout, but somehow, when you play it, it jumps in scale. So no my friends, this solution is not yet ready for prime time.

I can relate to this kind of behaviour. sometimes, there are ways to bypass this kind of stuff by adding some random nodes to the tree. little strange but sometimes it works for me.

but a shadow is very simple.
you could simply duplicate the layer in the timeline, make it black (or whatever), maybe add a blur, offset it a little, and you're done.

i just dont understand why this dropshadow effect is the 'only reason' for you to choose a different NLE. May i ask, what makes you want to switch to resolve? (i never really used fcpX)

Denis Pilon

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 2:46 pm

+ 10000000 !!

I asked for a Drop shadow inside Inspector or by a Node for awhile !!! I don't have Drop Shadow by Fusion, but inside Resolve.

It's about time !!!!!!
Resolve 18.0.4 Build 5
Desktop Video 12.2.0
Supermicro PC 7048GR-TR
Win 10 Pro
CPU: 2 x Xeon E5-2687W/10-Core 3.1GHz
RAM: 128GB
Maxwell RTX-3090 & 3060
Driver 511.65
Avid Artist DNxIO
System storage: 512GB SSD
Storage: Accusys Exasan 96TB total/RAID5

mbaksa

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 5:47 pm

Will Vazquez wrote:Well I just tested the Shadow filter in the Fusion page, and wow is it buggy. I applied the filter on two different logos, on the timeline. When I first applied the shadows, I returned to the edit page and everything looked good, and continued to work on other parts of the edit, then all of the sudden, one of the logos with the shadow turned the whole clip black, and on the second logo, the logo jumps in scale half way through, when I never altered position. If you look in the inspector, it shows it at the same scale size throughout, but somehow, when you play it, it jumps in scale. So no my friends, this solution is not yet ready for prime time.

Do you have any Merge nodes? If yes, select each one, in Inspector choose the last icon (you will see Settings in status bar), and then for Use GPU choose Disable.

I had similar issues, and when I disabled GPU on every Merge node, it rendered properly.

Will Vazquez

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 12:52 am

I love DaVinci Resolve and I love Blackmagic as a company. I just wish that "drop shadow" would be simpler.,, that's all. Like it is in FCPX and Premiere. Piece of cake.

I need to play around more, and dig in and really learn how to properly use Fusion. I'm going to apply some of the tips you guys have given me, really appreciate it. I still want a simple filter within the edit page, but for now, I will suffer inside Fusion (my brain has a hard time with the Fusion node hierarchy).

For a free program that came with my camera, Resolve really is amazing... even if I have to do a little more work. Cheers.

Elimelech

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 7:12 am

Another method is to use Text+, Select Shading, then select Series Element 3. Colour made be changed as required.

briantium

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 10:53 pm

Yeah, this makes absolutely ZERO sense that there's not a simple Drop Shadow option in the Inspector panel along with Lens Correction, Transform, etc...exactly the way Final Cut does. I understand the value of learning Fusion—indeed, it's one of the two big reasons I'd REALLY like to completely switch over from FCPX to Resolve (color grading being the other)—but in my case, I'd like a simple drop shadow underneath a logo in the corner of the screen. That's it. I was able to ultimately figure out how to do it via Fusion, but it should be as simple as selecting a Drop Shadow option in Inspector and, boom, I can move on in my edit. To have to go into Fusion for something like this is frankly asinine.

VPCTVV

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 5:55 am

Resolve really needs an easy drop shadow attached to the transform tool..Zoom a piece of vision back over a bg and click drop shadow like ive been doing since using Speed Razor 4 nearly 30 yrs ago. Its not hard..same with any track...Add a logo on a track transform it to size and click drop shadow in the inspector. THIS IS SO BASIC.. Perhaps its been added in DR 16.... :o Edius/Vegas/PP/ FCP all can why not DR..
Resolve 17 Version 17.4.6 Build 4
AMD Ryzen 7 3700 3.6ghz 64 GB
ASRock X570 Steel Legend
Win 10 PRO
NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti
Intensity Pro 4k
2x 2tb SSD - video general
1 x Raid - 4x 2 tb HDD
2x 500gb NVME - cache
1x 1TB SSD - Win
BENQ SW21 -

roger.magnusson

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 7:49 pm

Resolve 16 does have a new Drop Shadow effect.

Michael Tiemann

PostThu Sep 05, 2019 7:19 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:Resolve 16 does have a new Drop Shadow effect.

Yes it does, in theory! I have just tried to use it and cannot discern any meaningful effect when I twiddle the controls. Would love to see a video of what's actually supposed to happen.
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

Jack Swart

PostThu Sep 05, 2019 8:08 pm

Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 06.07.10.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 06.07.10.png (100.63 KiB) Viewed 7078 times

Works as advertised here on V16 and V16b2

Very adjustable.....
DR Studio 18.6.3 b19, OS 13.2.1
2023 Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 20 core CPU, 48 core GPU, 128 GB ram
BM 3G ultra studio, 12TB SSDs in raid 0, 16TB HDD backup, 56TB archive server.
Tangent Elements panel, TV logic XVW-245W

Return to DaVinci Resolve