Startup now hanging at "Loading Fairlight Console"

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jrb101

Startup now hanging at "Loading Fairlight Console"

PostSun Oct 14, 2018 8:48 am

Hi,

Up until 2 days ago Resolve (15.1.1.005) was working fine on my Windows 10 PC.
All of a sudden it won't start up anymore and just hangs at the load screen (the Fairlight bit specifically).
I first assumed that it was a Windows update that had killed it, but checking the update history I haven't had any significant updates in the last week.
I've tried reinstalling Resolve (both 15.1.1 and rolling back to 15.1) and it's not helped, with the same hang happening. I've also manually cleared any "ProgramData/AppData" folders inbetween reinstalls to get a clean install, but that hasn't helped either!

Something has clearly changed on my system config that has caused the issue, but I can't think of anything that has!

The log file and nfo file can be found here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v35nxkblly13 ... NRkca?dl=0

I'm also aware that my machine is very low powered for Resolve, but up to this point it's been running fine for what I need (simple edits, audio clean-up, mild grading and overlays for YouTube guitar content), so I'd like to get back to using it.

Cheers,
Jon Baker

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk
Jon Baker
Current System: AMD Ryzen 2200G, AMD Radeon RX570 (4GB), 16GB 3000MHz RAM, Win 10, Resolve (Free) 16 BETA 4
It's low spec, but I only tend to work in 1080p30 or proxy/optimised workflows for 4K!

Phil O'Dea

Re: Startup now hanging at

PostSun Oct 14, 2018 12:55 pm

I've exactly the same problem with my Windows 10 system, which happened on the 13th Oct. It was working perfectly in the 12th. I tried all the same things as Jon Baker with no luck. I've also noticed that the database won't connect using the SQL database manager.

Any advise welcomed?

Cheers
Phil

jrb101

Re: Startup now hanging at "Loading Fairlight Console"

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 8:35 pm

Update:
After a totally clean uninstall of Resolve (including registry entries, all local files etc.) and a reinstall, Resolve successfully started after doing the welcome screen setup.
The first thing it did appeared to be a scan of my VSTs (or that's what I could see) and a "allow Fusion through firewall" dialog (which I accepted) and then it ran fine.
However, I thought I'd check if this fixed the loading problem by quiting and restarting, and unfortunately the hang at the Fairlight part of the splash screen is back.

I tried disabling my firewall (briefly) and I also tried moving/renaming my VST folders and my OFX folders (in case that was interfering) but that didn't help either.

Any help would be really appreciated, as right now my Vegas Pro 16 editor is more stable than Resolve (as it actually runs ) and that's notoriously buggy software!

Jon Baker
Current System: AMD Ryzen 2200G, AMD Radeon RX570 (4GB), 16GB 3000MHz RAM, Win 10, Resolve (Free) 16 BETA 4
It's low spec, but I only tend to work in 1080p30 or proxy/optimised workflows for 4K!

jrb101

Re: Startup now hanging at "Loading Fairlight Console"

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 9:59 pm

Ok, so I finally fixed the issue - I'll post here in case anyone it helps anyone else stuck at the loading splash screen.

The issue turned out to be Windows Firewall blocking Resolve's inbound requests. I was rather surprised that:
a) Resolve was asking for inbound access (but I'm assuming that it creates its own server and then connects the various program modules to that?)
b) The Windows Firewall settings had changed as I had not changed anything myself.

In order to fix this, I needed to go into the advanced firewall settings (the basic settings don't allow for the required level of detail!) and manually allow all of the inbound Blackmagic processes to access private, public and domain on my PC. It was set on "private" only. I don't know whether it needs all of the options, or just something other than private, but I haven't had the time (or inclination) to try other combinations.

As is, it's working well again - shame I accidentally deleted all my databases (without a backup ) whilst trying to fix it. Nevermind... At least I'd only created 2 YouTube projects before the whole issue occured so I've not lost much .

Jon Baker

Phil O'Dea

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 8:21 pm

Top man Jon,

Seems like it was my firewall also. I am using Bullguard and it some how it had started blocking Resolve all by itself. Just saved me a load of hassle as I was just about to install Resolve 15 on a Linux system so I could finish a grade.

Thanks for the heads up.

Happy colouring
Phil

Danny Field

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 11:41 pm

Great! Gonna try this as well. I've been having to resort to Resolve 14 as it would hang on the starting screen for 15 minutes. I had previously allowed the firewall to allow it, but will check the incoming ports to make sure.

I'm using Norton 360 and even though it's allowing it through, maybe there is a hidden settings somewhere else. I've even tried disabling it for the time being and it was still stalling, but I'll check again.

UPDATE: Nope. Same thing. Stuck on 'looking for control surfaces' even though I've done the above. Guess I'm still back to using Resolve 14. It's so weird.

bosanac

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 11:53 am

That's great tip.
Today I had same issue with DaVinci, and ZoneAlarm Firewall.
Had to disable the Firewall to be able to run DaVinci Resolve 16.
I have to re-enable the firewall again, and play with settings, to make it work again.
Sincerely,
Dino K

Danny Field

PostFri Jun 21, 2019 9:07 am

Update:

This is mainly for those that may find this post in the near future and have the same issues.

After some many revisions to Resolve and having them all fail - I'm so happy to say that Resolve 16 beta 4 works. Boot up time is like 15 seconds all up.

if you are using Norton's 360

The possible fix was when installing I disabled the Smart Firewall. This step is what I was always doing and it never worked. But the thing I did next was something new. In the Firewall Settings and the Intrusion and Browser Protection, I turned off 'Intrusion Prevention'. Just for 15 minutes, enough to install Resolve 16 b4 and to open it.

I noticed this the other day when a program wasn't able to communicate to external servers, and seeing that the logs were always stuck on 'socket failed to connect' for like 20 minutes. Not sure if this is just a fluke or if Norton's was in fact blocking it. I've seen been able to open Resolve no worries now, without disabling the 'Intrusion Prevention'.

One last bit - I simply installed Resolve 16 b4 over Resolve 14. I didn't install the Fairlight or Control Panels.

So far, no issues, no crashes, all runs very smoothly.

Y.Tamiya

PostSat Aug 31, 2019 2:00 am

It may be difficult to understand because you are using translation software.

I encountered the same problem when updating from 15.3.1 to 16.0.0 on Windows 10.
Initially, modifying WindowsFirewall did not change.
However, I noticed that fuscript.exe was blocked by Avast Antivirus.
When fuscript.exe was removed from Antivirus, it started up safely.
There was no problem even if the setting of WindowsFirewall was restored.

Return to DaVinci Resolve