I'm hoping to create an animated transition

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jon in BC

I'm hoping to create an animated transition

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 9:04 am

Hi all,

I'm new here and relatively new to Resolve. I want to create an animated transition in which the tail frame of clip "A" rotates horizontally (as if on a 90 degree vertical axis going through the center of the frame) and upon completing its rotation reveals the opening frame of clip "B" (presumably after a 180 degree rotation). I assume there is a way to do this, but all I can find with a Google search are instructions on how to flip upside down images or how to spin images like a pinwheel. What I'm looking to do is something that works more like a revolving door. Anyone know of a way I could achieve this?
Thanks.

Jason Conrad

Re: I'm hoping to create an animated transition

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 6:55 pm

Hm. I swear the "pivot" control used to go further than it does now. Anyways, click on the fusion tab, select the MidiaIn node, shift-space to bring up the tool selector, and (here's where you could go a number of different ways) type "DVE". Press return to insert a DVE node, then keyframe animate the DVE Y rotation.

This should get you started, you're going to have to figure out how to get the second half of the transition to cover the first half once the Y rotation crosses 90º. There's a number of ways you can do this, too, but to get you started, I'll mention a few things...

You can bring your second clip into fusion by drag-dropping it from the media pool into the node graph.

Dragging a noodle from the output of node A to the output of node B will create a "merge" node, where node A is on top. To swap inputs on any node, press command-t (mac).

You might want to look into Reactor for fusion. It's a package manager for fusion plugins, it's free, and I'm pretty sure it contains one to do what you're after out of the box. The plugin name escapes me at the moment, however. https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... 075#p13075

Lastly, remember you don't necessarily have to worry about doing the whole transition in fusion. You could just flip the first clip up to 90º, cut on the edit page, then bring the second clip in from 90º the same way.
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

Jon in BC

Re: I'm hoping to create an animated transition

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 9:05 am

Hi Jason, thank you. Ultimately, as I was under the gun and didn't get your reply soon enough to try it, I went old school, built a frame and mounted stills to match my edit frames on both sides of a black foam board, then shot them rotating. It worked well enough, helped by lighting that created a bit of a flare as the board rotated which helped cover any minor mismatches. I will try your solution down the road, but as I am still a relative novice at this, I suspect it will take me longer to figure out how to do what you said than it did for me to build the frame, then light and shoot the rotating stills.

Return to DaVinci Resolve