Connecting multiple monitors

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Chris Nielsen

Connecting multiple monitors

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 10:10 am

Hi all, sorry for the beginner question here.

I've been using a PC to run Resolve for a while with a GTX 1080 and of course the PC has onboard video I've never used as I've always had both of my monitors plugged into the 1080. I've never really seen Resolve use the GPU much and then I just stumbled upon a comment Dwayne made on a recent thread:

If you plug the display into the GPU, by default, Resolve will use that to drive the GUI, and use the Intel GPU for processing. You want the Intel GPU driving the GUI, so Resolve uses the NVIDIA GPU for processing.

I'm wondering if that's my issue. OK so doing what he says is fine, I can plug one of my monitors into my monitor's onboard graphics and not into the 1080. BUT... where do I plug the second monitor? Only have one HdmI port on the mobo. Can I plug it into the 1080 or do I need to buy another graphics card to connect it and leave the 1080 alone?

Thanks!!

Andy Mees

Re: Connecting multiple monitors

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 1:12 pm

Hey Chris
Did you check to see if you can disable the onboard video in the BIOS? Switch it off and Resolve should use the 1080 for both compute and GUI.
Cheers
Andy

Chris Nielsen

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 7:51 am

Thanks Andy for your suggestion. I wanted to wait until after work tonight to have a good look at this problem. I had a good look in the bios and did some googling and it seems you can’t switch the onboard graphics off (ASUS B150M) however when I connected a monitor to the onboard graphics it wouldn’t work; no signal. I’m getting the feeling it automatically disables itself when a graphics card is present.

But anyway I should be happy with the normal speed I’m getting out of Resolve, I’ve only got a i5 and I’m getting 30-40 FPS rendering out H.264 1080p, lightly graded footage. Can’t really complain about that! One of these days I’ll get a beast of a PC but this will do for now.

Cheers

Chris

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 1:00 am

I have an update to that previous guidance.

With Resolve 15.1.2, and systems that have NVIDIA and Intel GPUs, Resolve in Auto GPU mode will use the NVIDIA GPU with CUDA and ignore the Intel GPU.

There should no longer be a need to disable the Intel GPU in BIOS.

And, it is now preferred to connect the GUI display to the NVIDIA GPU. That should provide best performance.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Chris Nielsen

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 8:19 am

Thanks Dwaine, that’s awesome customer service

Cheers

Chris

Return to DaVinci Resolve