File number limit on rewriting Avid aaf?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jimferguson

File number limit on rewriting Avid aaf?

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 10:55 pm

It seems like there is a file number limit when Resolve writes an aaf.

From my Avid (8.3.3 - on a Avid Nexus with Interplay) I export an aaf that has 723 shots. I grade in Resolve (14.3 on a Mac 10.12.6), go to the deliver page, select the Avid aaf option and render. Resolve will render all 723 clips but will consistently fail to rewrite the aaf. Torture.

BUT if I go back to the Avid and divide that 723 shot sequence into four roughly equal aafs, do the same process through Resolve, and BAM! - it works every time. (Now, it takes Resolve about 40 minutes to write an aaf for each 13 minute section - which is kind of torture, but at least it works)

So, is it a file or shot number limit that I hit with the 723 shots?

A few years ago I saw that when I was importing an aaf into resolve - if any of my MXF folders had over 1,000 items Resolve would never be able to finish the import. Did that get corrected when I went to 14.3, or am I just better at making sure no MXF folder has 1,000 items??

Return to DaVinci Resolve