MAC OS Finder is Shut Out

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Fishman

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 7:41 pm

Pretty new to Resolve. I like what i see.

But one thing that frustrates me is how the application shuts me out of the finder.

Pretty hard to read notes from another app *for just one example) if the application won't let a window float on top. And really annoying how I can't get access to my dock. Any way to turn this "function" off?

allenrowand

Re: MAC OS Finder is Shut Out

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 11:20 pm

I don't think you can change Resolve's fullscreen behavior, I just use command-tab to bring up the application switcher.
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.5 build 41

MacBook Pro 14" Max, MacOS 13.5, 32 GB RAM, 24 GPU cores

Brad Hurley

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 11:47 pm

You don't have to use Resolve fullscreen. Go to the Workspace menu and uncheck "full screen." You will now see your dock (you may have to resize the window to your liking). It's true that Resolve's fullscreen behavior on the Mac is nonstandard.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Fishman

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 12:56 am

The fullscreen option is checked but greyed out. There doesn't seem to be a way to uncheck in.
???

Andy Mees

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 1:51 am

Brad Hurley wrote:You don't have to use Resolve fullscreen. Go to the Workspace menu and uncheck "full screen."

Note that unchecking "Workspace > Full Screen" is only possible in single display workflows. If you are using multiple monitors and have "Workspace > Dual Screen" enabled, then the Full Screen option will be disabled.

allenrowand

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 3:42 am

Andy Mees wrote:Note that unchecking "Workspace > Full Screen" is only possible in single display workflows. If you are using multiple monitors and have "Workspace > Dual Screen" enabled, then the Full Screen option will be disabled.

Which would explain why I can't turn it off, since I always run dual screen. Thank you for the clarification and I apologize for causing any confusion.
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.5 build 41

MacBook Pro 14" Max, MacOS 13.5, 32 GB RAM, 24 GPU cores

Marc Wielage

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 6:05 am

allenrowand wrote:Which would explain why I can't turn it off, since I always run dual screen. Thank you for the clarification and I apologize for causing any confusion.

One way around this would be to use multiple desktops using the various Mission Control options for Mac OSX. I couldn't use a Mac (particularly Resolve on a Mac) without this function. That way, I can momentarily leave Resolve, jump to a note or an email, send somebody a large file via a transfer service on the web, and then jump back to Resolve and continue.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Fishman

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 9:07 am

Thanks for the clarification. Still...not exactly what I would call obvious or intuitive for people who work in a Mac environment. I would strongly recommend that BM rethink this, um, "feature".

Marc Wielage

PostSat Oct 20, 2018 2:40 am

Fishman wrote:Thanks for the clarification. Still...not exactly what I would call obvious or intuitive for people who work in a Mac environment. I would strongly recommend that BM rethink this, um, "feature".

I've been fine with the multiple desktops for more than 10 years. Try it -- you might like it.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSat Oct 20, 2018 5:09 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Fishman wrote:Thanks for the clarification. Still...not exactly what I would call obvious or intuitive for people who work in a Mac environment. I would strongly recommend that BM rethink this, um, "feature".

I've been fine with the multiple desktops for more than 10 years. Try it -- you might like it.

that's what we do in linux...
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Fishman

PostSat Oct 20, 2018 11:47 am

I don’t think it’s a matter of adapting.
I am trying a whole new edit platform after decades on another one.
So I can adapt. And I will try and adapt to spaces.

But there are reasons you should be able to access the dock and not have an app lock it out because it’s an easy way to open an unopened application.

And there are reasons you should be able to see the behind the application’s windows, like if you’re reading a transcript while you are selecting.

And there are reasons why you want to move windows independently (like Adobe apps, like Avid, etc.) to adjust to your particular style of editing.

And there are reasons why Mac doesn’t use a tree-finder system to locate files because, frankly, it’s faster and way more efficient.

It’s not enough for BM to put a platform on a Mac and say it’s now a Mac application.
It has to respect the OS it’s running in.

I fail to see the merit of preventing me from engaging me with my own OS
in a manner that every other app I own allows me to do.

I will learn spaces if I have to.
But I shouldn’t HAVE to at all.

Peter Cave

PostSat Oct 20, 2018 11:33 pm

There are reasons why Resolve is not like other editing software. It has a very long history. It's worth doing a little research to understand why it is the way it is. The main reason is that Resolve has been developed from a colour grading software into a total post-production application. It is still being developed and modified, so it may well end up with the features you desire.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Marc Wielage

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 2:03 am

waltervolpatto wrote:that's what we do in linux...

You're gonna have to show me. I suspect Linux is in our future, maybe 90 days.

Fishman wrote:It’s not enough for BM to put a platform on a Mac and say it’s now a Mac application.

Have you ever read Apple's Human User Interface Guidelines? It's an interesting read... and also fascinating to see how often Apple violates their own standards. Non-modal dialogue boxes, windows that take over the screen, important dialogue boxes that get buried under other screens... it happens.

I think with something like Resolve you have to adopt kind of a Zen attitude and just learn to accept it and then find a way of working productively. I gave you a solution that will work -- it's free and takes little or no trouble to set up. Again, I've been using multiple desktops on Mac OS since well before OSX. It's not a big deal, and it essentially gives you a virtual desktop about 10 feet wide. I couldn't do what I do without this feature, particularly when rendering out preview files for clients, checking client comments, noting specific problems with jobs, examining XML files for issues, and so on. Many of us are using Resolve for upwards of 80-90 hours a week, and this is just one of those things you have to get past.

waltervolpatto

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 5:35 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote:that's what we do in linux...

You're gonna have to show me. I suspect Linux is in our future, maybe 90 days.

Fishman wrote:It’s not enough for BM to put a platform on a Mac and say it’s now a Mac application.

Have you ever read Apple's Human User Interface Guidelines? It's an interesting read... and also fascinating to see how often Apple violates their own standards. Non-modal dialogue boxes, windows that take over the screen, important dialogue boxes that get buried under other screens... it happens.

I think with something like Resolve you have to adopt kind of a Zen attitude and just learn to accept it and then find a way of working productively. I gave you a solution that will work -- it's free and takes little or no trouble to set up. Again, I've been using multiple desktops on Mac OS since well before OSX. It's not a big deal, and it essentially gives you a virtual desktop about 10 feet wide. I couldn't do what I do without this feature, particularly when rendering out preview files for clients, checking client comments, noting specific problems with jobs, examining XML files for issues, and so on. Many of us are using Resolve for upwards of 80-90 hours a week, and this is just one of those things you have to get past.

I would like to add: You don't like it? Use something else.
Resolve was born on Linux, the dev made an effort to put it on os and w10.

Is it perfect? No.

It does the job. Move on with your life.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

Fishman

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 1:16 pm

To be clear: it’s not a FEATURE I’m asking for. It’s a design flaw (my opinion) I’m asking to fix.There is no reason why the app has to shut out the dock or the background. Just stop doing it. If you got access to the Finder and dock tomorrow would you consider that a flaw? Would you protest that was a bad decision? Of course not.

Steve Jobs famously said “you’re holding the phone wrong” when cell reception was affected and was justifiably scorned for that attitude. If I designed a car where you had to start the ignition in the truck, you could deal with it, but it wouldn’t be any less awkward once you got used to it.

Regardless of Apple’s history with design, or anyone else’s, I don’t really care. Most if not all other apps don’t do this. I asked Blackmagic why they still use a tree-finder for files in a Mac app, they said “you have to understand, it was designed on Linux”.

I said, “No. I don’t have to understand."

And I shouldn't have to get past it.

I am indeed running a free version now...as a trial. But I fully intend to buy it. If I give BM s'more money will they give it back to me?

An application is an interface. And I’m an interface zealot. I was at NAB in 2004 when Photoshop announced you could finally select non-consecutive layers there was a HUGE cheer. These little things matter.

Since my post I’ve discovered other where people have wondered the same thing but asked it in a different way. I’m not alone here. It is messing with the system the OS has set up for Mac users.

It’s simple. Don’t do that and then ask people to adapt.

To put this issue to rest, I will say that I will try and adapt to using Spaces. And I look forward to the day BM gives me and everyone else the Finder back.

waltervolpatto

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 3:18 pm

"Free version ".

Fishman

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 5:25 pm

I don't understand what that quote means.
It's free so I should be satisfied?

Glenn Venghaus

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 5:38 pm

Wow , such a long thread about nothing.
In fullscreen and dual screen mode just Cmd+tab and there is the dock . From there you can get at everything you need with a single mouseclick on the icon in the dock. Use it all the time. No brainer.
And if that is too much for you (duhhhh) you can use multiple desktops as mentioned.

Move on , nothing to see here. Next.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Fishman

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 6:08 pm

Thanks Glenn.
I feel better now.
Where were you when they were writing the code?

DollyH

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 6:51 pm

I don't post much here in the forum. Just use it for insights and solutions.
But I have to agree with Glenn.
This has gone on too long.

I was very flummoxed by my dock situation when I started in Resolve three years ago.
I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.
So I just gave up and assumed that Resolve worked the way it does.

But to Fishman's point,
it's still pretty annoying.

Sorry. My two cents. :P

Glenn Venghaus

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 6:53 pm

Fishman wrote:Thanks Glenn.
I feel better now.
Where were you when they were writing the code?

Enjoying my time and not complaining about little things for which there are simple solutions even my cat can find out.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Fishman

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 6:56 pm

Well, I appreciate the help your cat gave me.

Glenn Venghaus

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 7:10 pm

Fishman

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 7:27 pm

LOL

waltervolpatto

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 8:57 pm

Lol for the cat!

Marc Wielage

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 11:40 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:"Free version ".

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sam Steti

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 7:57 am

Regardless to the fact the topic was almost born pointless since "cmd + tab" popped up in my mind within the first 4 seconds of my reading, a little thing could remain a bit frustrating sometimes : in fullscreen, you cannot use a function to show you every open app windows at the same time...

The real name of it in OSX is "Exposé", which finally was included in the "Mission Control" group, for those who know specifically the names and functions.
Therefore no, to use exposé, you first have to cmd + tab and then only use it (i put it on F6 on my mac)... a bit too much for touchy nerds :)

So [cmd + tab] + Exposé are say 2 actions, and Spaces + [click another space to access it] are 2 actions too, one set all... Then you can choose the app, or the open window of the needed app.

BUT, if Exposé worked even when you're in Resolve's fullscreen mode, this would be one click only before you go to the app window 8-) . At the end of the day, something could be better...

Consequently I hope I add a bit more value to this topic (though not sure at all :D )
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Glenn Venghaus

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 9:01 am

Sam Steti wrote:Consequently I hope I add a bit more value to this topic (though not sure at all :D )

Nah. Thanks for the efford but this thread is a

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sam Steti

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 4:21 pm

Well, I was just trying to keep the buzz up by teasing power users :evil:
Come on, tell us your opinion !!!!!
Attachments
Beavis and butthead.gif
Beavis and butthead.gif (811.36 KiB) Viewed 4320 times

Glenn Venghaus

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 5:12 pm

Last edited by Glenn Venghaus on Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jean Claude

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 5:33 pm

Sam Steti wrote:Well, I was just trying to keep the buzz up by teasing power users :evil:
Come on, tell us your opinion !!!!!

Humor?
:D Hello Sam, it is frame of the top or frame of the bottom for interlaced? (Humor French) :D
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Jean Claude

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 5:35 pm

Glenn Venghaus wrote:
Sam Steti wrote:Consequently I hope I add a bit more value to this topic (though not sure at all :D )

Nah. Thanks for the efford but this thread is a

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Humour?
:D Hello gleen : pauvre Donald....?(humour Français) :D
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Glenn Venghaus

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 5:50 pm

Marc Wielage

PostWed Oct 24, 2018 2:11 am

Sam Steti wrote:Therefore no, to use exposé, you first have to cmd + tab and then only use it (i put it on F6 on my mac)... a bit too much for touchy nerds :)

Naw, you can engage it by going over to Mission Control in the Prefs and setting it up there. ^-> changes desktops very quickly. ^ Up gets you to the Desktop screen to set them up. Those are the defaults; you can also use different key combinations if you prefer.

Almost half of what I've learned in post-production over 30+ years has been workarounds in order to get the job done. Multiple desktops is so old, I think it goes back to Mac OS 6 or something in the 1990s. Windows has had it for a long time, too.

Sam Steti

PostWed Oct 24, 2018 10:10 am

Ah yes, now it works (I always had Mission Control on F5 btw). Excellent, I think it changed recently becaus I never changed this option (f5 exposé, f6 show desktop) and I think resolve blocked exposé a few versions ago.

I also have workarounds and tweaks for everything, for a wider range than what OSX borrowed to Linux (Compiz Fusion and Skippy XD like stuff) which ended in Exposé, Spaces and Mission Control...

Return to DaVinci Resolve