Metadata in Media workspace

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

joe12south

Metadata in Media workspace

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 9:39 pm

I know that I can customize the columns displayed in the Media workspace, but the choices are a small subset of the possible metadata.

I'd really like to be able to see certain bits of lens data, for example, and I can't figure out how I could do so.

Am I missing something? Why does only the Edit workspace have a metadata view?
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

Jim Simon

Re: Metadata in Media workspace

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 10:28 pm

You could try a Power Bin.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Andy Mees

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 11:57 pm

joe12south wrote:Why does only the Edit workspace have a metadata view?

Hey Joe

What version are you using? On my system the Media page already has a Metadata view. Have another quick look. Should be there.

Hope it helps
Andy

Brad Hurley

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 12:28 am

Andy Mees wrote:
joe12south wrote:Why does only the Edit workspace have a metadata view?

What version are you using? On my system the Media page already has a Metadata view. Have another quick look. Should be there.

It's a little confusing because there's a Metadata inspector view (accessible in the top-right menu on all but the Color page), but I think what the OP is referring to is the table that appears when you're browsing your original media source files in the Media page. You can view those files as a list, and that's where the metadata columns appear. You can add a few columns, but you don't get all the metadata fields that you can see in the inspector. I think he's looking for a way to find files that have specific metadata attributes, and I agree that PowerBins are a good way to do this for files that are already in your media pool.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

joe12south

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 3:24 pm

Thanks for the helpful responses everyone.

1. Yes, ideally I'd love to have more options for file list columns. I'll try the power bins trick.
2. I'm an idiot. I have a three monitor set-up and when in the media workspace I completely tuned out the monitor that has the metadata option. (Old habit from FCPX which puts all of the media stuff on a single second monitor.)
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

Return to DaVinci Resolve