Drop Frames During Rendering

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Oli Koos

Drop Frames During Rendering

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 1:18 pm

Hi,

I am on the recent build of Resolve Studio (Windows10). When I am rendering a project I do get some dropped frames (the frame shows the red media offline image). All though on the timeline, when I check these specific moments frame by frame, I do not see the dropped frames.
What can it be ? That the hard drive is too slow, the computer is too slow or an un/known bug in resolve?

Oli Koos

Re: Drop Frames During Rendering

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 1:44 pm

I might also need to add, that the behavior is not consistent. Sometimes I have dropped frames, sometimes I don't.

Jim Simon

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 6:21 pm

That sounds more like a display failure than a "dropped frame", which I don't think is possible for a render. No error present in the final view would support that theory.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Igor Riđanović

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 6:30 pm

Throttle down your render fps rate in the Deliver page. This happens sometimes when Resolve's render speed outpaces the storage's ability to supply source frames.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

RCModelReviews

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 7:46 pm

Igor Riđanović wrote:Throttle down your render fps rate in the Deliver page. This happens sometimes when Resolve's render speed outpaces the storage's ability to supply source frames.

How crazy is that? Why would the rendering code not simply wait a sensible amount of time for the next frame and then fail (halt with an error code) if the such a timeout occurred.

Unless you're rendering a live stream there's no need to drop frames or have super-short time-outs on the frame-fetch operation.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Oli Koos

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 8:21 pm

Hi folks,
all I can say is, that I do have occasionally dropped frames in the rendered video (so not display glitch), and that reducing the render speed so that the hard drive can keep up makes sense to me. Thanks Igor for the advise.

Would be good if resolve could prompt an error message that the rendered files might have dropped frames. Now I really need to watch all my exports very carefully to potentially spot a dropped frame.

Igor Riđanović

PostSat Oct 20, 2018 2:03 am

RCModelReviews wrote:
Igor Riđanović wrote:Throttle down your render fps rate in the Deliver page. This happens sometimes when Resolve's render speed outpaces the storage's ability to supply source frames.

How crazy is that? Why would the rendering code not simply wait a sensible amount of time for the next frame and then fail (halt with an error code) if the such a timeout occurred.

Unless you're rendering a live stream there's no need to drop frames or have super-short time-outs on the frame-fetch operation.
Im guessing that's what goes on. I've seen it a couple of times when using slow storage.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Vitaly Makarkin

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 8:33 pm

Hm I never thought about it.

I have a 50 frames per second for PlayBack. But when I see the 45-49 frames (in the rednering playback) when video is rendering it's 100% mean that the frames will be droped at the final video?

Thx.

bruce alan greene

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 11:37 pm

I've seen this before. And it's very troublesome.

1. Don't set render speed to "maximum". I've found, I think, that even if I can only render at 20fps, setting the render speed to 25 is ok.

2. Don't render to the same disk that you are reading the original frames from!

Vitaly Makarkin

PostSun Dec 23, 2018 10:02 pm

bruce alan greene wrote:I've seen this before. And it's very troublesome.

1. Don't set render speed to "maximum". I've found, I think, that even if I can only render at 20fps, setting the render speed to 25 is ok.

so droppeb frames in PlayBack while rendering mea dropped frames at the end file?

bruce alan greene

PostMon Dec 24, 2018 12:14 am

Vitaly Makarkin wrote:

so droppeb frames in PlayBack while rendering mea dropped frames at the end file?

Извините, Я не понимаю... :(

Vitaly Makarkin

PostMon Dec 24, 2018 12:02 pm

bruce alan greene wrote:
Vitaly Makarkin wrote:

Извините, Я не понимаю... :(

Heh I mean when I see not like 50 I see less frames on the playback while rendering process. Then that up to 50 (not exact 50 frames) will be at the rendered file?

RIchiebuzz

Re: Drop Frames During Rendering - hope this might help

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 3:22 pm

I recently started a video project in DaVinci Resolve (Free version).

I am working on a new MacBook Pro (which is fine for full HD projects) and I did all the necessary things to ensure smooth rendering.

However I noticed that some split edits also can cause dropped frames too. So what I did before rendering was cutting the audio or video channel at the point where the clip is split. I cannot add an image so I hope this ascii diagram helps explain things. So if a render stops you might want to check if it does on split edits.

-------------------cut
-------------------^
|________video1___|_______video2_____|
|________audio1_______|___audio2_____|
----------------^
--------------- cut

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 3:51 pm

And then it dropped frames? This is nonsense. Then it should simply slow down like any other tool. If it drops frames then you should forget about such a tool. It's simply unacceptable. There is no such a thing like dropping frames on export. Playback is different story and fine, but on export? Never seen a single app doing such a crazy thing.
There has to be some other reason for it, most likely GPU related. Is it happening on low end GPUs?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 4:07 am

Are you using v15.2?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Oli Koos

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 7:02 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Are you using v15.2?

Hi Peter, I am now on 15.3 and unfortunately, this is still a problem, especially with h264 formats.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 7:11 pm

What is your machine spec, specially GPU?

Oli Koos

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 5:07 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:What is your machine spec, especially GPU?

NVIDIA® GeForce® MX150 with 2 GB GDDR5
(its a Huawei matebook pro with 16gb ram)

I think the problems are caused by overlays such as these https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/10-fre ... o-editors/

Oli Koos

PostSun Mar 24, 2019 9:02 am

I have an interesting find if I use an eGPU on the same computer, I no longer have dropped frames in the render.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Mar 24, 2019 10:52 pm

So it's related to GPU. It sounds like a Resolve bug linked to your specific machine and project.

Return to DaVinci Resolve