Blackmagic Design UltraStudio Mini Monitor Thunderbolt sched

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Alberto Bacchin

Blackmagic Design UltraStudio Mini Monitor Thunderbolt sched

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 9:25 pm

Hello, i have a PC with dual monitor.
I want to ask if i can use Blackmagic Design UltraStudio Mini Monitor Thunderbolt.
My grafic card has display portable connection, so i f i buy a cable DP - thunderbolt to connect with the device and then i use the hdmi to connect with my second monitor will it work to watch the playback on fullscreen?
Thank you.

Marc Wielage

Re: Blackmagic Design UltraStudio Mini Monitor Thunderbolt s

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 3:54 am

If I understand your question: yes, the Mini Monitor will allow monitoring the full-frame output from Resolve all the time. This is a completely separate output from the GUI screen. Your computer's graphic card is used for processing, not for the full-frame output.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Andy Mees

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 3:04 pm

Alberto Bacchin wrote:My grafic card has display portable connection, so i f i buy a cable DP - thunderbolt to connect with the device...

DisplayPort and Thunderbolt are different protocols .. if you are hoping to drive a BMD Ultrastudio device via the DP output from your graphics card then, sorry, but no, that will not work.

Glenn Sakatch

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 4:20 pm

I believe the confusion is the dp to thunderbolt connection. That might be what it looks like, but I believe it is in fact a dp to dp connection...it is just that there are two different types of dp connectors, and one of them happens to look like a thunderbolt connector.

Return to DaVinci Resolve