Plug-ins for resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Richard Cardona

Plug-ins for resolve

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 10:17 pm

What would be a good plugin package for general use in
Resolve.

Thank you
Richard

Dermot Shane

Re: Plug-ins for resolve

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 2:48 am

Free;
- Paul Dore's OFX are free and really useful
- HitFilm also has a free OFX, a lite version of their full version
- Natron OFX do work in Resolve v15.1.2, but are soooooo slooooooowwwww as to make them pretty much useless

Paid;
- Saphire & BCC's are gold standard, if you need access to their tool set, i think there is no better option
- HitFilm has great particle gen, 3D muzzle flashes, lightsaber and similar effects, well worth the $100 for three licences if you need those, it also has a ton of other things that are perhaps less usefull if you already have BCC/Saphire as i do
- NewBlue has a good optical stab and rolling shutter fixer
- Neat Video offers a nose reduction, but it's not appreacably better than Resolve's native tools and vastly slower, i own a licence and would it think was total waste of cash if i only used it in Resolve

Marc Wielage

Re: Plug-ins for resolve

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 6:23 am

I also have used the DFT faux-Tiffen filters, and some of those are pretty good but sometimes buggy.

The Red Giant filters are a little hokey, but a few of them are interesting -- if nothing else, they're cheap ($99) and are useful at that price range. I'd put the Hitfilm stuff in that category.

The ones I usually grab first are Boris and Sapphire -- those are exceptionally good, though I think they need to improve their user interfaces more.

There are people who love Film Convert, but I'm skeptical. Still, it's very popular and I see it used often on some stuff from friends of mine. Beauty Box is another popular OFX plug-in, but I think you can pretty much achieve the same results with Resolve if you work at it, and I also think the effects are a little much.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve