Linux Build and DaVinci Resolve Problems on Titles

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author
notrightnowdavid

Linux Build and DaVinci Resolve Problems on Titles

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 4:13 pm

The problem have been mentioned already in this forum, but as no answer appear to have ben shared and something on my build may be the reason for it, here you go;

I have Davinci Resolve Lite (latest version) installed and can edit videos in ProRes format without any issue, add cross fades, dip to color and etc without any issue, which is great. My problems start tho at the second I add a 3D text, lower third or anything directly related to Fusion (I think). The program just closes automatically without even giving me an error message or an error report. Sometimes, just sometimes, I can actually manually pass over the Text added, but at the exact second I try to actually Play the timeline, he breaks either way.

As DaVinci is incredibly ahead of kdenlive and Lightworks is limited to 720p in the free version, I keep using Resolve but have been making the titles on Inkscape and exporting it in PNG format (as SVG isn't supported) for the titles.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem so I can take advantage of all the features DaVinci Resolve has to offer? It is not practical for me to purchase a Studio version if I keep having problems with the titles, so I'm stuck at Lite version as long as this don't have a fix, so I'm kind of in a limbo right now :/ The error happens no matter if I setup to use OpenCL or CUDA for fusion, so the only thing near a solution I've found on the forum don't work

Anyway, dunno if this help in any way, but below is the complete specs of my workstation:
    Ubuntu 18.04 Linux (Gnome)
    DaVinci Resolve Lite tested (15.0, 15.1.2, 15.1.1, 14.3.1... all with same problem)
    Instalation made with MakeResolveDeb by Daniel Tufvesson
    AMD Ryzen 5 2600X (stock speeds, no overclock)
    Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI mobo
    16GB 3000MHz DDR4 RAM (T-FORCE)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5 128BIT graphic card
    WD Green 240GB SATA M.2
    Blackmagic Intensity Pro
    500Watt real power supply

The machine works perfectly, I've installed the proprietary NVIDIA driver (ver. 390.77), "nvidia-cuda-toolkit" and "ocl-icd-opencl-dev" (both installed from apt-get repo).

Return to DaVinci Resolve