Digitally zooming out of an zoomed-in multicam clip

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

paul_WCP

Digitally zooming out of an zoomed-in multicam clip

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 7:15 pm

Hi,

lately I've been doing a lot of multicam work.
We deliver in 1080p, but film in 4K to have the opportunity to use different framings (ie zooming in digitally).

I've stumbled upon a behaviour that would be nice to get rid off. Here's my workflow that hopefully explains said behaviour.

-First I use plural eyes to sync my shots.
-I import the XML into Resolve.
-After that I create a multicam clip and copy the synced clips into that.

Now comes one important step.
-I change the framing of my wide angle shots to the best looking one.

After that I create a timeline from that multicam and cut the multicam timeline.

After finishing my multicam-timeline cut. I go over the single clips in the timeline and try to make the wide-angle shots a bit more interesting with digital keyframe zooms.

Now here comes the problem:

The earlier chosen frame might be the best overall looking when keeping the frame still, but when I do keyframe zooming I'd like to zoom out a little more up to the source clips maximum framing.

Since I zoomed in earlier am running out of that frame though and reaching a black border earlier, than I would on the original source clip.

For now my workaround is: not zooming in at the source clip and then having to select every single clip in the multicam timeline of that camera and pasting the optimal framing size. This takes quite some unnecessary time.

Would be cool if there would be a better solution to this.

Thanks
Paul

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

Re: Digitally zooming out of an zoomed-in multicam clip

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 5:56 am

When you'v finalised your multicam cuts, you can select all the cuts and flatten the multicam via the context menu.

This replaces the multicam cuts with the original shots and allows you to finesse your zooms with the actual source materiel.

paul_WCP

Re: Digitally zooming out of an zoomed-in multicam clip

PostSat Nov 10, 2018 3:50 pm

works like a charm!

thanks!

Return to DaVinci Resolve