Missing Mp4 clips after importing XML

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

bdurow

Missing Mp4 clips after importing XML

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 7:04 pm

Hello!

I have been having this problem for a few weeks now on different projects. I'm exporting an XML from premiere pro and opening the XML in Davinci Resolve 15. Most of my projects have a mix of RED files and Mp4 files. Recently, when I open the XML, I get the "Missing __ number of clips" alert. It always happens to be all of the Mp4 files. When I go through the process of looking through another folder and click on exactly where they are, nothing happens. Ive also tried to import the Mp4 files separately before opening the XML and still they dont re-link. After manually linking them, the timing of the clips is always off, so I have to go through and basically re-edit all of those clips so it's the correct frames.

The other day I tried to open an XML that only has mp4 files and none of the clips linked. I got that same alert saying I was missing X number of clips, and it happened to be the entire timeline. Then I brought in all of the clips separately, they linked, but the timing was completely off.

Anyone have any insight into this? It's driving me nuts.

Thanks!

xtravrt

Re: Missing Mp4 clips after importing XML

PostFri Jan 25, 2019 10:49 am

Wow. No responses. I'm having the same issues. Trying to do a project with A7S II, A7R II, and FS7II. It's a 15 minute long doc that it says 36 clips are missing. Before I started the project in FCPX I manually renamed all the source media with unique names by camera and when imported into FCPX I transcoded to prores 422HQ. I have tried connecting the folders to resolve with no luck. I think these clips are ones that retimed, but I only conformed at actual rates. ie. 59.97fps footage was conformed to 24p using the auto setting (40% slow). From what I've been reading resolve has a problem bringing in timelines with clips that use mixed frame rates. Every time I try to use resolve for color I end up giving up. I need to get this project out so if I can't fix this I'll have to finish the grade in FCPX again.

Uli Plank

PostSat Jan 26, 2019 2:49 am

MP4 is not well standardized in terms of TC. I always convert MP4 to MOV before getting into editing, there is a cheap tool called Mp4toQT. That said, check your TC if Resolve is seeing the same as Premiere (or FCP-X). And try to populate your reel/tape field in the metadata.

These are the most common problems with roundtripping from MP4. Regarding speed changes, never try to roundtrip them. It doesn't work reliably, always do them in the final program.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

rex511

PostSun Oct 20, 2019 4:39 am

Any solution? having the same issue here

Return to DaVinci Resolve