Is the base model iMac Pro a good choice?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

steveremich

Is the base model iMac Pro a good choice?

PostTue Nov 13, 2018 4:56 pm

I'm considering buying the base model iMac Pro (8-core CPU, 32GB RAM, Vega 56 w/8GB VRAM GPU) to work with Canon C200 Cinema Raw Light, 4K raw files. Does anyone have experience using this machine to edit these files? Do you think this machine would get the job done with good playback in Resolve?

I plan on editing in Premiere using proxies and then doing light grading/finishing in Resolve (a few color correction nodes, a LUT or 2 and Neat Video noise reduction), but no Fusion or VFX, heavy transitions, etc.

In a perfect world, I'd get the 10-core, 64GB of RAM and Vega 64 with 16GB VRAM, but that's a lot of extra $$ that may or may not be necessary. So my question is essentially: Is the base model enough? I've read a ton of articles on Puget's website and combed through this and other forums, but I'm hoping to find someone who has used this machine with these files and can lend firsthand experience. I'm not particularly interested in paying a lot of extra $$$ for underutilized CPU cores, RAM/VRAM sitting empty and various other points of hardware overkill. Thanks.

JPOwens

Re: Is the base model iMac Pro a good choice?

PostTue Nov 13, 2018 6:00 pm

This is the corporate stance:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=77713

steveremich wrote:I plan on editing in Premiere using proxies and then doing light grading/finishing in Resolve (a few color correction nodes, a LUT or 2 and Neat Video noise reduction

Why are you considering using Resolve and not confine the LUT/NR to plugin filters in Premiere anyway? "A few" elementary three-ways doesn't justify a round trip and "a lot of extra $$$ for underutilized CPU cores, RAM/VRAM sitting empty and various other points of hardware overkill."

jPo, CSI

MishaEngel

PostTue Nov 13, 2018 7:12 pm

It is only a good choice when you do everything in FCPX. For Resolve and Adobe software you can better buy a PC running Linux or Windows.

steveremich

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 4:16 am

I read the hardware guide and saw they included the base model. But I was just hoping that someone on the forum may have used this combination of computer and codec and could share their firsthand experience.

Return to DaVinci Resolve