Loud (very annoying) Speaker Pops. Help!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Michael McCaffrey

Loud (very annoying) Speaker Pops. Help!

PostTue Nov 13, 2018 8:38 pm

Im getting very LOUD speaker pops when playing back portions of my sequence that have not been played recently. The audio is coming out of an intensity pro 4k via SPDIF into a mixer and then out to the speakers. I have never experienced this problem outside of Resolve. If anyone has any idea what's happening I would appreciate the help.

Configuration:
Resolve Studio (Always the Latest)
Windows 11 Pro Workstation
32 Core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 256GB RAM
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS
(1) 32" Ultra-Wide Display, (1) 4K 27” Display

Chris Tempel

Re: Loud (very annoying) Speaker Pops. Help!

PostTue Nov 13, 2018 8:43 pm

Same thing here. Sounds like a gunshot going off, regardless of volume or computer volume.

avclubvids

PostSat Nov 17, 2018 8:59 pm

+1

Hard to reproduce, this is not a constant or predictable behavior. When it happens, I turn off my speakers and keep working.

Reynaud Venter

PostSat Nov 17, 2018 9:04 pm

Haven’t experienced this issue on my systems with either version 14 or 15, even if I switch to playout via an Intensity Pro 4K.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

bruce alan greene

PostSun Nov 18, 2018 12:28 am

I had a similar issue. And glitches when transitioning clips on playback. I discovered that a DCTL OFX plug-in was responsible for the glitches, and when I removed from the grade, the sound went back to normal...

Probably not your solution, but that's one thing to look for...

etang77

PostSun Nov 18, 2018 1:43 am

I’ve posted something similar. I don’t have a video like yours. I’m still trying to solve it.

Raffaele Mariotti

PostSun Nov 18, 2018 4:25 pm

same here.
only happens when the playhead snaps TO a point, e.g. when I click somewhere on the timeline, or when I use keyboard for snapping to a point.
It never happened to me while on playback – playback is fine.
This is very annoying and potentially VERY dangerous for the speakers! the POP sound is super loud, unrelated to the output volume of Resolve.

I'm on a MacPro2013, using an Ultrastudio Express for video out, and an Apogee Element 24 for audio out.
Never happened on Resolve 14 or previous versions.

Michael McCaffrey

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 5:07 pm

Raffaele Mariotti wrote:same here.
only happens when the playhead snaps TO a point, e.g. when I click somewhere on the timeline, or when I use keyboard for snapping to a point.
It never happened to me while on playback – playback is fine.
This is very annoying and potentially VERY dangerous for the speakers! the POP sound is super loud, unrelated to the output volume of Resolve.

I'm on a MacPro2013, using an Ultrastudio Express for video out, and an Apogee Element 24 for audio out.
Never happened on Resolve 14 or previous versions.

Yes sounds very similar to what I am experiencing. Pops occur to jumping the playhead to an area not recently played. It is loud and I am worried about the speakers blowing. Tried turning all volume controls way way down and it did not affect the pops. Almost seems like an electrical charge buildup. But I only experience it in Resolve and it is consistent and repeatable. So I cant explain it.
Configuration:
Resolve Studio (Always the Latest)
Windows 11 Pro Workstation
32 Core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 256GB RAM
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS
(1) 32" Ultra-Wide Display, (1) 4K 27” Display

jobdriest

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 11:15 am

I'm really suffering from this problem. For me it started with updating to 16. It is so annoyingly loud and dangerous for my ears and speakers (and neighbours). I found many people having this problem on this forum but no solutions. What happened? Did you learn to live with it? Or find a solution?

Return to DaVinci Resolve