Resolve 15.2 - No Duplicate Timeline

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

John Paines

Re: Resolve 15.2 - No Duplicate Timeline

PostMon Jan 07, 2019 10:44 pm

If folks want the right-click thing, so be it, but I think he meant he assigned "duplicate timeline" to a shortcut key. In the keyboard customization panel, the entry may come up as "duplicate clip", but it works based on context, as does the menu sub-item. If a clip in the media pool is highlighted, the shortcut duplicates the clip. If the timeline is active, the shortcut duplicates the timeline.

Nathan Morgan

PostMon Jan 07, 2019 11:46 pm

Exactly. One keystroke and I am done.

I do still wish that it would dup it to the same bin as the original instead of the current bin, and the "Copy of" naming convention drives me nuts, but hey if I didn't have something to gripe about I wouldn't be a real editor :)

As for the drop down placement. I understand why one might think it should be in the Timeline menu, but it is worth noting that both Avid and Premiere also keep this command in the Edit menu.

Perhaps it would be less confusing if they just labeled is "Duplicate" instead of having it contextually switch?
PC: Resolve 18.0.1, WINDOWS 10, GTX 3090
Desktop Video 12.0
(All bug reports etc. are PC unless specified.)
Mac: Mac Studio M1 Ultra, Resolve 18.0.1, 12.4

Marc Wielage

PostTue Jan 08, 2019 2:25 am

waltervolpatto wrote:there is a "tineline" sub menu already, that duplication command should be there, otherwise is confusing. And you cannot really make everything "one click": the drop down main menu will be a kilometer long.

In the "Sub" menu selection for Timelines, there's only about 5 or 6 things there. One more -- "Duplicate Timeline" -- is not going to make a huge difference.

They did at least appear to have fixed the rename Timeline bug where the cursor went all the way over to the left and it was impossible to read the name. So slowly but surely, a lot of bugs and issues are being addressed.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jack Swart

PostTue Jan 08, 2019 5:03 am

BM, pls listen. This is another example of making something more, not less, difficult.
What was easy is now hidden and obscure as you need to have open the timeline you want to copy.
This was not always the case.
We now have an extra step before the duplicated operation can take place.

The deselection of audio tracks in Clip Preferences is another example.
Previously to deselect 6 of the unused tracks in an 8 track clip (XAVC) it was a matter of selecting the number of tracks (8) and simply typing 2. All done. Now I have to hover the mouse until the hidden trash can appears on each unwanted track and click.

Six times!!

And don't get me started on the loss of the VU meters at the RHS of the timeline from V12.

Using the mixer is simply not an option as way too much screen space is eaten up.

It is worse on a dual screen setup as the mixer meters are not even on the same screen as the timeline.

Don't get me wrong.
Your software is wonderful and I have two DR and Fusion studio versions BUT, there is an old saying Peter.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
DR Studio 18.6.3 b19, OS 13.2.1
2023 Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 20 core CPU, 48 core GPU, 128 GB ram
BM 3G ultra studio, 12TB SSDs in raid 0, 16TB HDD backup, 56TB archive server.
Tangent Elements panel, TV logic XVW-245W

Frank Engel

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 8:34 pm

I definitely agree that this option should not have been removed from the context menu.

Sulo Kokki

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 9:12 pm

No sir, I dislike this new method.

Is it here to stay, or are you keeping your options open, BMD?
Linux Mint 19.3 | DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1 | 2700x 32gb Radeon VII | macOS Mojave

kalianna

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 8:32 am

Old digital humor: "It's not a bug it's a feature". SOMETIMES I can see duplicate timeline in the edit menu but sometimes I can't and yes, my timeline is active. This seems to change from day to day. Saying that a different command will accomplish what you are trying to do is not a solution, especially when it used to work consistently. I generally use the quick key I've assigned but this bug needs to be fixed soon I hope.

Oli Koos

PostSun Mar 24, 2019 3:43 pm

Working with the new duplicate timeline method for some time now, I have to say I still didn't get used to it and I still miss it in the context menu.
I have a feeling that I will never get used to it. I hate it. Please bring the context menu option back with DR 16! Thank you!

Rignold Haywood

PostWed May 15, 2019 12:02 pm

Nathan Morgan wrote:Exactly. One keystroke and I am done.

I do still wish that it would dup it to the same bin as the original instead of the current bin, and the "Copy of" naming convention drives me nuts

In previous versions duplicating the timeline would add to the name of the duplicated time line at the end. Putting "copy of" at the start of the name is annoying as I now have to change the start of the name as well as the end.

It was just better before.
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares, you"re a mile away and you have his shoes.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed May 15, 2019 12:31 pm

Rignold Haywood wrote:
Nathan Morgan wrote:Exactly. One keystroke and I am done.

I do still wish that it would dup it to the same bin as the original instead of the current bin, and the "Copy of" naming convention drives me nuts

In previous versions duplicating the timeline would add to the name of the duplicated time line at the end. Putting "copy of" at the start of the name is annoying as I now have to change the start of the name as well as the end.

It was just better before.

+1
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Charles Lyons

PostThu May 16, 2019 11:01 am

I just discovered this and it's pretty annoying.

I frequently will select a timeline in a bin, right-click, and choose "Duplicate Timeline", and then change the suffix to increment the version number - so "Sc23 v4" becomes "Sc23 v4 copy" becomes "Sc23 v5". Easy and straightforward.

In v15, I now have to move the mouse all the way to the upper left corner of the other display, choose "Duplicate Clip" (not intuitive), then mouse back over to the original display to select the dupe for renaming, and now I have to edit both the head (to remove "Copy of") and the tail (to change "v4" to "v5").

What problem was this change attempting to solve?

(Also, the manual on p388 still says that it appends "copy" to the name, which is no longer true but should be.)

I finally updated to v15 from v14 in hopes of a less crash-prone app and have been running into enough of these usability annoyances that I'm still considering reverting to v14 and staying there for a while. Meanwhile, actual usability problems — like the fact than an active selection interferes with playhead navigation, or the fact that with a 2-display setup the Edit and Color pages switch which display the viewer is on — remain unaddressed. I don't get the prioritization here.

The new Keyboard Customization dialog is a nice improvement, but there's still no way to assign a keystroke to change the primary display, something I have to do every time I switch from Edit to Color or vice versa (ideally this wouldn't even be necessary). And the single viewer mode is nice. Even better would be if I could hide the media browser panel while I'm editing.
Resolve Studio 17.2.2
iMac Pro 10-core 3.0 GHz Xeon
64GB RAM / Vega 64 GPU w 16GB VRAM / 2TB SSD
Mojave 10.14.6 (18G95)

Charles Lyons

PostMon Jun 03, 2019 10:42 am

Another problem with the new timeline duplication method: because the duplicate is named "Copy of foo" it will appear in alphabetical order in a different location than "foo copy". For instance, if you have

"foo v1"
"foo v2"
"foo v3"

in your media browser (sorted alphabetically by Clip Name) and duplicate "foo v3" to make a "foo v4", the copy will appear above "foo v1" rather than below "foo v3". After you change the name from "Copy of foo v3" to "foo v4" the list will look like this:

"foo v4"
"foo v1"
"foo v2"
"foo v3"

To get it sorted in the correct order you have to click on the "Clip Name" header twice to force a resort. Again, the new method adds additional, unnecessary steps to something that worked fine in v14. I have yet to think of a single advantage to this change.
Resolve Studio 17.2.2
iMac Pro 10-core 3.0 GHz Xeon
64GB RAM / Vega 64 GPU w 16GB VRAM / 2TB SSD
Mojave 10.14.6 (18G95)

waltervolpatto

PostMon Jun 03, 2019 4:21 pm

The are issues in the new rename system and the drop down selection: they seriously broke something.

There is another thread with those issues.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

Jim Simon

PostMon Jun 03, 2019 11:31 pm

Charles Lyons wrote:because the duplicate is named "Copy of foo"

It isn't. It's named "foo copy".

At least it is in Studio 16b3 for Windows.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

waltervolpatto

PostTue Jun 04, 2019 1:25 am

Jim Simon wrote:
Charles Lyons wrote:because the duplicate is named "Copy of foo"

It isn't. It's named "foo copy".

At least it is in Studio 16b3 for Windows.

was "copy of foo" up to 16b2

is "foo copy" in 16b3

GrizzlyAK

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 4:07 am

I found this confusing as well. I'm used to selecting a timeline by selecting the top of the panel, not in the timeline, which usually moves the playhead. If you click on the area at the top of the timeline to the right of the '+', the timeline is selected, as indicated by the red line just below, BUT, the Edit menu still reads Duplicate Clip(s). However, if you click on the number bar on the timeline (moving the playhead), OR any timeline Tab, then the Edit menu reads Duplicate Timeline. Even though clicking on the top of the timeline panel selects the timeline (red line present), the Edit menu doesn't change. I believe this is a bug.
Shane Taylor
Owner, Ion Drift Productions
www.iondriftproductions.com

Resolve Studio V17.4 Build 12 Activation Key
Windows 10 Pro x64
HP Z820, 16 core
32 GB RAM
RTX 2080Ti 11GB
26 TB Storage
OS & Cache on SSD
MOTU Ultralite MK3 Audio Interface
Previous