Do not use 15.2!!!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Frank Engel

Re: Do not use 15.2!!!

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 6:25 pm

Miltos Pilalitos wrote:few issues that are platform related, most come from OSX users. Especially the ones that are on Mojave.

if you are trying to start an OS flame work

Not trying to start a "flame work" and I posted such an issue myself which might be Mac-specific (though of a somewhat less serious, merely annoying nature).

Adrian Niwa

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 6:34 pm

Regarding how the title of this post sounds: "Do not use 15.2!!!" someone might say - this title is huge and sounds a bit scarry....
Regarding the amount of replies on this topic and all those critical ones that say "Resolve 15.2 is buggy and unstable"....

Regarding all that, why is there no one from devs taking their voice in discussion? Mr Dwaine didn't even write "Logs?" in any reply. Looks like there is no interest in this :) Pretty much as in approx 70% bug reports (with logs and system specs) which go away without one simple reply.
It's a pity seeing how no one gives a thing about what people input on this forum and they do it for, literally, free.

Hard times for "free betatesters". ;)
Manjaro / ASROCK X399 Taichi / AMD Threadripper 1920X / RTX 2060 / 32GB RAM DDR-4 / 4 X SSD drive / Fusion Studio / Resolve Studio
www.inox.vision

Tom Early

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 8:06 pm

Adrian Niwa wrote:Regarding all that, why is there no one from devs taking their voice in discussion? Mr Dwaine didn't even write "Logs?" in any reply. Looks like there is no interest in this :) Pretty much as in approx 70% bug reports (with logs and system specs) which go away without one simple reply.
It's a pity seeing how no one gives a thing about what people input on this forum and they do it for, literally, free.

Hard times for "free betatesters". ;)

So you're just going to ignore all the feature requests from the forums that make it into future Resolve versions are you? They probably account for most of the new features in each version. You're also going to ignore all the bug reports that get addressed? 73 specific bug fixes in 15.2, not to mention those encompassed by 'General Performance and Stability Improvements'. Sure, additional bugs were introduced and for some people things got a lot worse, but you can be confident that those who actually have systems which are supposed to be powerful enough to run Resolve in the first place, will be able to run it properly when patches arrive.

Those who do not, or who do not follow sensible installation procedures or who have other software on their systems that somehow interferes with Resolve, will likely still complain and blame Resolve.

And it's not really a good idea to complain about doing things for free when it comes to Resolve, I mean do I really have to mention about how much the price has come down and the fact there is no subscription? Maybe BMD should have kept the old pricing strategy, then hardly anyone would complain about bugs because they wouldn't have been able to afford Resolve in the first place!
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Paul Draper

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 8:39 pm

Nasty thread title, eh?

In any case, I can't really report any showstoppers here beyond the usual minor niggles for UI and desirable workflow etc etc. In particular, aside from the tech sig:

Just back from Italy, shot around 700GB on Lumix GH5 & smaller amounts of 4k on Samsung Note 9 footage. The GH5 as both all-Intra 4k 25fps & long GOP 4k 50fps. Also some binaural sound via a Hooke Audio headset. As usual for me, editing and assembling now on around 14 x 1080p timelines, approx. 30-40mins each for first pass. Will result in several chapters totaling 90mins or so.

Can't say I see anything odd here in the performance here, seems par for the course - & that's on two very different hardware platforms: laptop on the road, & workstation at home. Only using a tiny bit of Fusion for titles (perhaps this is where the original rant may lie?). Media, Edit, Fairlight and Delivery pages seem fine to me for now, however, will post any other thoughts once a bit deeper into this project over the next month or so.

Perhaps the original poster may want to consider altering this thread title to make more accurate in terms of the exact issue(s) and platform etc.
MacPro 7,1 16 core, 192GB, MacOS 14.4.1, Vega II Duo. Antelope Pure 2 & Orion 32+, UA Apollo x8. RAID-4 Thunderbay 6, RAID-0 Sonnet M.2 4x4. MiniMon 4k, Dell U3415W & BenQ SW2700PT. Nuendo, Wavelab, Resolve Studio 18.6.6.

TYKHAN

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 9:25 pm

Last 3 days of intensive use of davinci resolve mainly the edit part, 10 hours of footage loaded and few hours on timeline, not s single crash on the edit and color part. . For me its the best release ever. So much smooth and responsive. Love it and every function shows the hardwork of programmers of this master piece.
Im editing in 4k. And using color and fusion tab too.
BOARD: ASUS X99-E WS
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1650 v3 3.5GHz
RAM: 4x 16 Kingston DDR4 2133MHz ECC
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Driver v472.12
PSU: Corsair RM750w
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.1 build 4

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 22, 2018 2:37 am

Thanks for your feedback and for those that provided logs and a way to repo issues.

While we run a beta testing program prior to every release, with an app this big there are always different workflows and configs that won't be replicated for every real world situation so the feedback is helpful.

If you find new issues please report specifics including your full system config, put the detail in your signature so you don't have to repeat every post, and attach a link to diagnostic logs so an engineer can review.

We have scheduled an update soon so detail now helps a lot.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Marc Wielage

PostThu Nov 22, 2018 3:01 am

Paul Draper wrote:In any case, I can't really report any showstoppers here beyond the usual minor niggles for UI and desirable workflow etc etc.

I just completed a feature in 15.2 that took almost 50 hours of work, and had a grand total of 2 crashes in a 5-day period. Nothing serious, and for all I know it could be OS-related and not Resolve-related. Nothing earth-shattering, no work lost, not a big deal to me. There are some minor annoyances with some of the GUI-changes in Resolve, but I think there's workarounds for most of them (like the new Keyboard Shortcut interface). Some of the new features are terrific. As long as I'm getting work done and getting paid, I'm happy.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Miltos Pilalitos

PostThu Nov 22, 2018 3:41 am

The complaints were never aimed at the Color Page nor the Edit Page. It should be clear by now that Fairlight and Fusion are the main culprits and the real topic of this discussion.

No reason to state the obvious all the time. Yes, we can edit and color with Resolve. It does the job in a great way. If you don't have issues with Resolve 15.2 it is only because you are not touching the Fairlight and Fusion tabs for something substantial. It is as simple as that.

I hope we, the users will be able to pinpoint as many bugs as possible in a constructive and informative way and that the BMD developers will focus for a while on software stability even if it means we get less features in the next updates. Nobody cares about new features if we can't work with the software.

Thanks for your post Peter. We know that you guys listen but a reminder like that every now and then never hurt anyone. :)
Windows 10 x64 • Threadripper 1950x • 64GB RAM • RTX 4090 24GB • Latest Nvidia drivers
Fusioneer since Fu4.0 • Resolver since v9

Dermot Shane

PostThu Nov 22, 2018 3:57 am

for me in 15.2 the last five days,
- graded and roundtripped 2 x 48 min UHD broadcast episodic
- conform/ grade / finish a music video with alot of Fusion work. also UHD
- conform / grade / finish 3 x 30 pizza commericals also UHD
my other front line machine is on 15.1.2 until next week when a film is exported

i don't use f'duplight, so no issues to report there
worked on some fairly resource demanding shots in fusion (creating seamless cuts with Helium8k sources, around 50 nodes, trackers, paint, etc), and that went well

so i'm fine with 15.2, some things need work-arounds, but nothing close to a show stopper, and that includes fusion

windoze / 2x 2697v2 / 2x 1080Ti / 128g /DecklinkPro4k /SAS array

Reynaud Venter

PostThu Nov 22, 2018 6:23 am

Miltos Pilalitos wrote:If you don't have issues with Resolve 15.2 it is only because you are not touching the Fairlight and Fusion tabs for something substantial. It is as simple as that.
Reynaud Venter wrote:Fairlight in use daily (averaging 10 hours a day) with none of the issues mentioned in this thread, each release improving on the last, 15.2 is no exception.
Fairlight is not likely to be the source of your issues.

Marc Wielage

PostThu Nov 22, 2018 6:41 am

Miltos Pilalitos wrote:The complaints were never aimed at the Color Page nor the Edit Page. It should be clear by now that Fairlight and Fusion are the main culprits and the real topic of this discussion.

Except that's not what the o.p. said in his incendiary topic title. The point is that you CAN use Resolve 15.2 -- you just have to be careful and understand that it's a work in progress.

I'm convinced that Rohit, Peter, and the others at Blackmagic are moving heaven and earth to improve the program and integrate Fusion and Fairlight with Resolve even better than before. It's not going to happen instantly, but my observation is, they've come a long way in just 7 months.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Rick van den Berg

PostThu Nov 22, 2018 2:14 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
Miltos Pilalitos wrote:The complaints were never aimed at the Color Page nor the Edit Page. It should be clear by now that Fairlight and Fusion are the main culprits and the real topic of this discussion.

Except that's not what the o.p. said in his incendiary topic title. The point is that you CAN use Resolve 15.2 -- you just have to be careful and understand that it's a work in progress.

I'm convinced that Rohit, Peter, and the others at Blackmagic are moving heaven and earth to improve the program and integrate Fusion and Fairlight with Resolve even better than before. It's not going to happen instantly, but my observation is, they've come a long way in just 7 months.

i mostly agree. it must be a hell of a job to get the perfect all in one-app.

the edit page and color page (obviously) already feel really grown-up already, and i'm quite happy with it every day.

but for example, looking at blender, they upload new ''experimental'' releases, with dozens of warnings before using it. that might be the more proper way for bmd as well. instead of hyping a perfect all-in-one product on the main page. sure, it's what every company does. but it can be a little frustrating once you're already halfway your project and discover some nasty stuff.

JeffreyWalther

PostThu Nov 22, 2018 3:46 pm

Behold!

That's what I was talking about here in the past:
Keep Resolve stable, don't listen to customers and their (meaningless) feature requests.

Another company did that and now they suck with their entire product line. That's why we skipped to BMD Resolve and Fusion and both work fine (feature wise). We've already delivered a couple of major projects involving complex editing, special fx and color grading (4K footage in ProRess 422).
DaVinci Resolve Studio V18
Fusion V18
Windows 10 Pro, 64 GB RAM
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12x 3.8 GHz), MSI X570 Unify
GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8 GB, NVIDIA driver version 471.41 (Studio)

Steve Alexander

PostThu Nov 22, 2018 6:29 pm

I find that I walk the fine line between these two perspectives. I think BMD is working very hard to improve Resolve and they have been making huge leaps in this regard - Kudos to the team. In addition, their development cycles often lead to unstable code following a feature update and it usually takes a couple of point releases thereafter to stabilize the product again.

This can be frustrating to users who assumed that 15.2 would be a rolled-up stability fix for the woes of 15.1.2. In fact, as soon as you look at the release notes for 15.2 you should probably say to yourself "wow - they made a lot of feature changes - it's probably going to be unstable for a bit... maybe I shouldn't update just yet (at least not on a production machine)"... (I know - hind sight is 20/20)

Perhaps BMD should do a better job of communicating this to its user base. Most of us understand that a new release should not be rolled out to production but some may not follow this sage advice, I guess.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Jean Claude

PostThu Nov 22, 2018 6:49 pm

I definitely think that some people before posting: it's a bug ... it's a bug, it's a bug (? ;) :o :shock: )

Would do better:
1) to read manual before saying: it's a bug, it's a bug (it's the same with a new mixer robot: if it does not work the first time: it's not took the time to read the manual and anyway => do not expect the first time to cook like Paul Bocuse (?). [c'est basic... hein?]

2) Come to say: it's a bug, it's a bug and we do not have the basics to do certain things: take the time to learn

3) come say: it's a bug, it's a bug and not to say calmly, precisely what does not work and go away saying anything and not even signing => I calmly say RTFM or stay with his software built into his OS that is made to raise awareness of video or audio but by no means will you hope to be an artist.

4) I admire Team BMD which, again and again, remind everyone to kindly say: 'please: A log', etc ....

ZUT (in French and I remain polite sinon (else) :mrgreen: )
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Frank Glencairn

PostThu Nov 22, 2018 8:42 pm

Dermot Shane wrote:only have it on one machine ( my wimpiest, a z800/2x5680/1050Ti), have an episode of a 1hr tv series in there, and i'm about halfway though the show, many ofx and nodes in use, and it's been zero hassle, zero issues, zero drama so far

Same here. Just finished a 50min program without any issues, freezes or hickups. Works like a charm. Swift, snappy and rock stable - even on the most ancient workstation (win7) here.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Benjamin Boyce

PostTue Dec 18, 2018 5:01 pm

extremely happy to see this thread and realize I am not alone. I have been tearing my hair out, wondering if I'm insane ... this release is so dysfunctional, from timelines disappearing to super odd behavior like keyboard short cuts failing to work until I restart the program. I was planning on migrating all of my post production work to resolve but this has been a nightmare. I think this might be my last post here, I'm heading back to Adobe territory. I so miss having tools that actually work.

[EDIT] I get half a dozen errors every time I open the program and start working. It is a literal error machine.

running windows 10, threadripper 1920x, GEFORCE GTX 1080, 16 gb CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR 4 RAM
dr 15 VERSION 15.2.0.033
Resolve free 15.2.2.007
Windows 10 ver 1803
ASUS Prime X399A
Ryzen Threadripper 1920X 12-core
48 GB DDR 4
Geforce RTX 2080
(3) Sandisk SSD PLUS drives

Dan Sherman

PostTue Dec 18, 2018 5:25 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:I find that I walk the fine line between these two perspectives. I think BMD is working very hard to improve Resolve and they have been making huge leaps in this regard - Kudos to the team. In addition, their development cycles often lead to unstable code following a feature update and it usually takes a couple of point releases thereafter to stabilize the product again.

Imo, the issue looks to be they are following the Agile development workflow. Far to often this leads to too much emphasis on getting the next new shiny feature out the door, at the expensive of fixing minor bugs, and strengthening core functionality.

If you read back through the forum you can see that a lot of bugs get overlooked if people aren't raising holly hell about them, or they aren't related to recently released features.
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

bobspez

PostFri Dec 28, 2018 2:52 am

Installed it for the first time today and it crashes, no image in the imported thumbnail, just black with an orange musical note, no audio or video plays for a clip in the timeline. I wasted a half day unisntaling, reinstalling, looking at preference. Under audio video preferences the top two circles are filled with a black dot, indicating none. This seems like a lost cause. I wouldn't mind trying an older version (14, 12.5)but they are not available anywhere.

Nomura Ricardo

PostFri Dec 28, 2018 9:40 pm

People might get back, maybe, to the first Davinci 15 or 14.3.1 that is fast and rock stable. The 15.2.2 has serious issues, you start Davinci and it consumes ALL you GPU memory doing NOTHING.

Support is a shame, I'm waiting a firmware update for my Intensity Pro to this day.
Last edited by Nomura Ricardo on Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobspez

PostFri Dec 28, 2018 11:20 pm

Thanks to 2 posters on another thread I found and downloaed Davinci Resolve 12.5 on the BM web page. 12.5 seens to work well with my 2GB AMD ATI Fire Pro V4800 gpu and 16GB of RAM in Win 10 64bit.

I was primarily interested in the multicam feature which worked well, but was buggy in Premier Pro. I believe I will mainly use Resolve 12.5 as a quick multicam sync and grading tool, allowing me to export a rough cut of my video. I can then use Premiere Pro on the rough cut for more extnsive sound editing, grading tweaks and transitions.

bobspez wrote:Installed it for the first time today and it crashes, no image in the imported thumbnail, just black with an orange musical note, no audio or video plays for a clip in the timeline. I wasted a half day unisntaling, reinstalling, looking at preference. Under audio video preferences the top two circles are filled with a black dot, indicating none. This seems like a lost cause. I wouldn't mind trying an older version (14, 12.5)but they are not available anywhere.

Nomura Ricardo

PostFri Dec 28, 2018 11:28 pm

Davinci 14.3.1 works just fine with my ATI 1GB card, just to let you know, it's pretty stable and fast.

Mike1938

PostSat Dec 29, 2018 12:06 am

I do not understand why some Resolve users feel the need to update or upgrade. I always wait until no bugs are reported. If the program meets your needs, why change.

Dermot Shane

PostSat Dec 29, 2018 12:24 am

i update because i have mutiple machines, i'll only update one of them at first, so my risks are low - gains are real as each new version has useful tools added

15.2.2 has been very stable on three machines, i have one machine on 15.1.2 still, likely will update that one when the next update appears, and leave the 15.2.2 machines as is for a week or so, then update two of them leaveing one on 15.2.2

and that's the one i'll leapfrog for the update after the next...

i try to keep one machine on the last version

Nomura Ricardo

PostSat Dec 29, 2018 12:34 am

Mike1938 wrote:I do not understand why some Resolve users feel the need to update or upgrade. I always wait until no bugs are reported. If the program meets your needs, why change.
I wonder why update or upgrade your windows XP?
Why not stay there! Stay there and wait until no bugs are reported.

People upgrade because they need some bug fix, simple as that.

RCModelReviews

PostSat Dec 29, 2018 3:21 am

I was a hold-out, prefering to stay on Resolve 14 until I could see that most of the significant issues were worted in Resolve 15. I upgraded a couple of weeks ago and all is well -- no problems encountered so far and I've even found that most of the bugs I encountered in 14 have been fixed in 15.

I'm a happy camper -- not a single crash yet and I've done probably a dozen small projects (YouTube videos) so far.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

puhovik

PostSat Dec 29, 2018 8:46 am

Hello i use davinci since version 15.1.2
now i use 15.2.2
all was fine and i make some projects with no a big troubles.
I make a fusion preset which i use for my projects just changing an primary video and some text.

Few days ago davinci closed while i try to cache this fusion preset. i press play and while green strip going around half of clip davinci crash without errors. i tried old versions of davinci, tried to change main video, delete cache reinstall davinci, update video drivers.

But still crashed. i try turn off cache and turn on Proxy then render. but still crash.

core i7 7700
gtx 970
ram 16Gb

attach the crashlog. Sorry for bad english
pls help a cant finish my job

crashlog:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZywgT ... pGSvFcWIQq
Ryzen 3700x
32ram
RTX 3060Ti
Windows 10
Resolve 17.0 Studio

Byron Dickens

PostSat Dec 29, 2018 5:47 pm

Dermot Shane wrote:i update because i have mutiple machines, i'll only update one of them at first, so my risks are low - gains are real as each new version has useful tools added

15.2.2 has been very stable on three machines, i have one machine on 15.1.2 still, likely will update that one when the next update appears, and leave the 15.2.2 machines as is for a week or so, then update two of them leaveing one on 15.2.2

and that's the one i'll leapfrog for the update after the next...

i try to keep one machine on the last version

That's a very smart idea if you have multiple computers. When I worked in the shop at a car dealership, that's what they did with their diagnostic software. Inevitably, the latest update would introduce some new bug, so they always kept a couple of the machines backdated one or two releases.
DR 14.3 W10 Home. Core i7 3.4 GHz. 16GB RAM. Intel HD graphics 530.

PyrateGraphics

PostSun Dec 30, 2018 12:39 am

drama vs great software?
no to drama

Jim Simon

PostWed Jan 02, 2019 5:44 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:my observation is, they've come a long way in just 7 months.

You ain't kiddin'. I'm really impressed with their speed of development. Far ahead of Adobe, I think.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve