Audio exported despite being deleted

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

malkazoid

Audio exported despite being deleted

PostSat Nov 17, 2018 12:59 pm

Hello all,

I'm caught in a nasty pinch between an apprent Davinci audio export bug, and a bug on Pond5.
Pond5 rejects any photo jpeg files I export from Davinici without audio (Export Audio checked off in the Deliver tab).
However if I delete the audio tracks on the timeline and leave Export Audio checked in the Deliver tab, I still get audio in my exported photo jpeg file!!!
It seems Pond5 wants an audio track in order to accept the file as valid, but since I need the audio to be gone, I need that audio track to be empty.

Why is Davinici exporting audio, despite the tracks having been deleted in the edit tab?
I checked in the Fairlight tab too - there are no audio tracks. If I play back the timeline, there is no audio.
And yet when I export... the audio is in the exported file.

Davinici 15.0.0.088
Windows10
------------------------
Davinci Resolve Studio
Mini panel
Windows 10
Nvidia GTX1080ti

malkazoid

Re: Audio exported despite being deleted

PostSat Nov 17, 2018 1:08 pm

Ok, with further experimentation, I found that I can export the clip without audio as long as Render Single Clip is selected.
If Render individual clips is selected, Resolve seems to ignore the deleted audio operations made within the program, and renders out the clip with the audio from the original file.

I find this to be HIGHLY counter intuitive.
If you have made a timeline, placed clips in it and performed all sorts of grading and sound operations on them, rendering individual clips should mean taking all the clips from the timeline and rendering them out as individual clips, but with all the operations you applied to them effective and represented in the rendered individual clips.

It would make sense for there to be an optional bypass of the audio operations, in an Advanced Settings section, perhaps. But for the only functionality to be to ignore the audio operations (in this case DELETING all the audio), seems downright bizarre.

So much so that I feel I'm missing something here. Please tell me that I am?
------------------------
Davinci Resolve Studio
Mini panel
Windows 10
Nvidia GTX1080ti

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Nov 18, 2018 6:17 am

The individual clip mode is designed for round trip workflows so source video and audio is exported with video sizing effects and grades
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

malkazoid

PostSun Nov 18, 2018 10:26 pm

Thanks for the response Peter.
Might I suggest you broaden the design a tad then?
I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to be able to use a timeline as a place to work on both the color and audio of clips, and then write them out individually.
All it would take is an option to allow audio changes to be output as well... seems like an easy improvement?

Resolve has been pushing to be a standalone tool for editors for a while now... I think this falls in the category of revisiting functionality without the assumption it will only be used in conjunction with another package...
------------------------
Davinci Resolve Studio
Mini panel
Windows 10
Nvidia GTX1080ti

malkazoid

PostWed Dec 19, 2018 6:05 pm

Hello,
Just revisiting this as I'm jumping into DR again to grade and remove sound from another big batch of clips. My very unsatisfactory workaround to the problem of DR's exporting individual clips without the option to include changes to the sound tracks, is to export the timeline as a single file, bring it back into DR, and use the scene detection tool to split them into individual clips, after which I can export them AGAIN, this time as individual clips.
Hopefully the hoops I'm having to jump through will help give a sense of how helpful it would be to have that option to export separate clips either with their source audio, or with whatever changes or deletions have been made to the audio in DR.
------------------------
Davinci Resolve Studio
Mini panel
Windows 10
Nvidia GTX1080ti

paulrhys

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 8:56 am

I have hit the same stumbling block and it seems you got a very unsatisfactory (and rather cursory) response from Blackmagic.

I wonder if anyone else there at BM can suggest a workaround or perhaps answer your question about why this feature is not being included?

The workflow hitch and the response make me a bit leery of switching over from Premiere Pro, which is a shame.

paulrhys

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 9:01 am

One workaround I've found is to create a new timeline, copy the clip over to that timeline, and export as single file (thanks to what you said about this working in the original).

Not ideal but maybe better than an export and re-import?

Marzio

PostMon Aug 14, 2023 6:20 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:The individual clip mode is designed for round trip workflows so source video and audio is exported with video sizing effects and grades

This is redundant would you agree? Why would there not be an option to export individual clips without audio. Especially when you consider the price people pay for the full version and that a massive amount of your users that choose Davinci to edit multiple clips for stock?

Jim Simon

PostMon Aug 14, 2023 2:56 pm

Things have changed since this thread was started, Marzio.

If you check the option to Render timeline effects on the Video tab in Render Settings, you can Mute the audio for the clips and it'll work.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve