Who creates "rich" color: Colorists or camera engineers

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Richard Swearinger

Who creates "rich" color: Colorists or camera engineers

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 2:35 pm

Several reviewers of the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera have remarked on what rich colors the camera produces. And if you look at some of the side-by-side footage being posted, the colors really do seem to be quite a bit more gorgeous than its competitors.

However, now that I'm starting to understand Resolve, I'm insulted because I thought that with Resolve a good color timer can transform boring color into spectacular footage with just a few twists and twirls on the control surface.

Kidding aside, can elite colorists like you all are get those "rich" colors from any well-exposed footage produced by the current crop of DSLR and mirrorless cameras? (Such as the GH5, the new Fuji, and the various mirrorless Sonys).

Or is it possible that the new Pocket Cinema Camera could have a built-in advantage in producing excellent color over some of its competitors thanks to the hard work of the engineers who designed it?

Jim Simon

Re: Who creates "rich" color: Colorists or camera engineers

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 3:19 pm

I think the point is that the colors are gorgeous "out of the box". One needs only a simple Log to Rec.2020/709 conversion and the work is mostly done.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

dariobigi

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 5:57 pm

Certain old sayings and rules of thumb apply.
Crap in, crap out.
You can’t polish a turd.
You are only as good as the foot if you were get.
With that in mind I have made things look better than they were, hidden problems and turned a sows ear into a silk purse. But it is much better turning a silk purse into a gorgeous tapestry.
Our job is colorists is to make things either better or seamless in the directors vision. The better it is shot the more nuanced our work can be, opposed to trying to save the footage and force it back into place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dario Bigi, Colorist
http://dariobigi.com
New York
C: 1-646-436-4600

HPz840 - 2x 14 Core 2.6GHz - 64GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
2x RTX 2080Ti (SD 472.84)
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
Decklink 4K Extreme (12.2.2)
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 6:25 pm

If you have a good color science, you have a raw or good Di recording, you expose correctly for your idea of color and light, and you add light and color in a scene, colorist not need to do miracle to do a gorgeous color of a file. Colorist are not happy to have to do miracle in file with bad color temperature, worst exposed, bad compression and more...
Gorgeous result are the result of all work, from good engendering of camera to good DoP to a good colorist that enhance a work of first ad second.
Do a bad ring in a color’s chain and you have medium or bad result.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 6:32 pm

Poop in poop out.

Get it right in camera.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Jean Claude

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 6:36 pm

It happens according to the customers... :oops: :

Examine where you start a project (your sources delivered) and respect at best what the customer hopes: I said it at best.

We can always discuss between responsible persons if the best can never be reached ... it will always be better next time (I remain optimistic). A good explanation and then ...

Now if you have 'joker card': Do not hesitate to be force of proposal ... it's also an aspect of the job
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Marc Wielage

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 2:39 am

Call me crazy, but I think the heavy lifting is done by the art department and the cinematographer. Any competent camera can create a reasonable picture. The hard part is really the lighting and the exposure.

Once it's at a decent level, the colorist's work is made a lot easier. But any "richness" is a subjective call. You can always crank up the saturation and call it "rich," but it's not necessarily pleasing, accurate, or appropriate for the kind of story you're trying to tell. I only worry about whether the client is happy, since they're the ultimate judge of the material.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

JPOwens

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 5:01 pm

Should be hand-in-glove, the way the old Gordon Willis relationship functioned -- he gathers the light, the lab doesn't screw it up. The tuxedoes come out in March, slap each other on the back and crash the after-parties.

(Don't thank the timer.) (Ang Lee...) (Or the entire VFX crew.)

Of course the ones who really do know what they are doing keep the relationship secret --- much the same way a scandal-ridden public figure has a "fixer" paying off or making problems "go away". In that sense "We'll fix it in post" means "I know a guy..."

:mrgreen:

jPo, CSI

Richard Swearinger

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 8:43 pm

Ah yes, the golden age of Technicolor.....Those were movies.

[quote="Marc Wielage"]Call me crazy, but I think the heavy lifting is done by the art department and the cinematographer. Any competent camera can create a reasonable picture. The hard part is really the lighting and the exposure.

Brad Hurley

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 9:02 pm

Richard Swearinger wrote:Ah yes, the golden age of Technicolor.....Those were movies.

FYI, if you're interested in the history of Technicolor, there's a nice short review here:
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Marc Wielage

PostThu Nov 22, 2018 3:12 am

Richard Swearinger wrote:Ah yes, the golden age of Technicolor.....Those were movies.

Our office is in the old "original" Technicolor building in Hollywood -- the one from the time of Gone with the WInd and Wizard of Oz -- and I like to think that modern digital colorists are carrying the torch for good color in modern times. I think it helps to have a healthy respect for what film color was, and to know what a good picture looks like. But the reality is that the colorist alone can't do it -- it's a partnership between the cinematographer, the art department, the gaffers, plus the camera, and then the colorist. If everybody does their job, the pictures can look great. If just one of these screws up, we're dead.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve