Project crash with 15.2

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MrHotter

Project crash with 15.2

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 2:32 pm

Hello,

My current project is crashing after upgrading to 15.2.

For me to duplicate the crash I just need to open the project and then switch to a timeline that has a large number of clips. If I stay in a timeline with few clips it will not crash.

I left my task manager open the last time and it looks like the memory usage spikes to 98% or higher and stays there till it crashes. I also noticed that the GPU 0 (Intel HD Graphics 530) is being utilized during the memory spike, but the GPU 1 (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970) is not being utilized.

I put the logs here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qs66q054wbupo ... 0.zip?dl=0

System specs are in my signature.

The only troubleshooting I've done so far is to try to change my performance options to proxy mode to 1/2, but that seems to go back to 'off' when I relaunch after a crash.
Mac mini
Apple M1 chip with 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, and 16-core Neural Engine
16GB unified memory
512GB internal SSD storage
various external drives

MrHotter

Re: Project crash with 15.2

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 3:56 pm

Update on my troubleshooting.

Good news: I no longer have the issue.
bad news: I don't think that I did anything to fix it.

I went back to a previous project I've just finished that was the same size and opened that. It had no issues scrubbing or playing the timeline. the RAM usage stayed at about 33%.

I went back to the project with issues and it was also at around 33% till I selected a 4k clip and tried to play that. My memory spiked again and it led to a crash.

I then opened the project again, but I did not select a 4k clip until all clips were rendered. It now scrubs and plays back as expected.

I did go into the preferences and changed the Memory and GPU setting to use just 10 GB of system memory instead of the max it was set at. I'm thinking that a background application was also using memory while Resolve was trying to render my playback files. I had a Chrome window open during one crash (I normally have nothing else open beside Resolve) and that crashed when Resolve crashed, so it looks like windows did not like how much memory was being used. Antimalware Service Executable is always high up in my memory usage in the Task Manager, so maybe it was doing a scan or an update or something else in the background.

I'll keep an eye on the crashing to see if I just need to pause occasionally when adding a large number of clips to the timeline to let the render cache catch up.
Mac mini
Apple M1 chip with 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, and 16-core Neural Engine
16GB unified memory
512GB internal SSD storage
various external drives

Return to DaVinci Resolve