unable to open video files without extension

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

vidguy

unable to open video files without extension

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 2:59 pm

Hi- I am new to DaVinci resolve and have a problems with importing media.

I am using DaVinci resolve 15.2.033 (the free version) on a late 2012 27"iMac, 3.4 GHz intel core i7, NIVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 MX 2048MB, OS x10.13.6.

I have a large collection of video files which were captured from 8 mm video tape using final cut pro 5. The tapes were 60-90 minutes and when digitized about 15-20 Gb. The tapes have names that help me identify their content. A few of the tapes have an ".mov" extension on them but most of them do not. If I am in the "media" screen all of my volumes show up but when I go to the folders that contain the files only the files with ".mov" extension appear. I have also tried right clicking in the media pool box in the "edit" screen and although of the files appear but I can only import files that have the .mov extension. (I should also mention that I am fairly certain that I had manually added the .mov to the files that have it because of a problem with another editor many years ago)

Final cut pro 5, 7 and X as well as premiere pro cs6 can open all of the files without the .mov without a problem. If I manually append an ".mov" to a file, Davinci Resolve will open the file and I can perform any editing functions that I have tried, normally. It seems that the content of the files are fine, but for some reason Davinci Resolve is not recognizing this. Unfortunately, when I opened an old project file in FCP or PPcs6 I received a "media offline" warning for the file to which I had just added the .mov, so that simply renaming the files will cause other problems.

I would appreciate any help that anyone may have. Is there some preference, for example, that will allow Davinci Resolve to open a video file without the .mov extension?

Thanks very much for your help!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: unable to open video files without extension

PostThu Nov 22, 2018 2:48 am

The fact that they come from tape is not relevant.

What is the file format and codec that you are trying to open?
Maybe a link to a sample will help.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Marc Wielage

PostThu Nov 22, 2018 2:52 am

vidguy wrote:I have a large collection of video files which were captured from 8 mm video tape using final cut pro 5. The tapes were 60-90 minutes and when digitized about 15-20 Gb. The tapes have names that help me identify their content. A few of the tapes have an ".mov" extension on them but most of them do not.

What happens if you use a file-renaming utility to add ".mov" to the end of every file name that doesn't have one?

I'm a big fan of Better File Renamer (available for both Mac and Windows) and consider it to be an indispensable utility. We have to use it to fix and organize files all the time.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

vidguy

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 4:06 pm

Thanks for the responses. The CODEC is DV/DVCPRO - NTSC, linear PCM and its in a Quicktime movie.

I did try re-naming the files with a ".mov" and the files were then recognized by DaVinci resolve. However, the previous projects from other editors in which these files are being used now do not recognize them because of the name change.

Thanks again for your help.

Marc Wielage

PostSat Dec 01, 2018 12:51 am

vidguy wrote:I did try re-naming the files with a ".mov" and the files were then recognized by DaVinci resolve. However, the previous projects from other editors in which these files are being used now do not recognize them because of the name change.

They will have to manually force a relink, but it should then work with no problem.

It's always a good idea to check the workflow for proper naming conventions. Having a suffix is (as you saw) very important. On older versions of Mac OS, the file information was carried in the resource fork inside the file, so it didn't have to have a suffix; I believe starting with OSX about 10-12 years ago, you had to have a suffix in order for the OS and current software to recognize the file.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

vidguy

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 3:41 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:The fact that they come from tape is not relevant.

What is the file format and codec that you are trying to open?
Maybe a link to a sample will help.

Thanks for the response. The CODEC is DV/DVCPRO - NTSC, linear PCM and its in a Quicktime movie.

Return to DaVinci Resolve