Loading Circle (for few seconds) everytime I move a clip .

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

apfilm

Loading Circle (for few seconds) everytime I move a clip .

PostWed Nov 28, 2018 2:59 pm

Hello,
I am new in the World of Resolve.

I am trying to change from another Editing Software to Da Vinci Resolve.

So I downloaded the 15.2 Version and wanted to try to do a simple project with this Software.
If it should be fine, I would change and buy the STUDIO-Version.

Now to my Issue:

I wonder that every time i move a clip in the timeline to another or in the same track,
the Mouse changes in to a circle and starts to load,.. it takes 2-3 seconds until i can continue to work.
I changed a lot of settings to improve performance, like found on YouTube ecc.
(for example PLAYBACK>Rendercache>smart)

But they all seem not to resolve this problem.

The Files are MTS
(Sony AVCHD from a SONY NEX FS700)

The Cache-Disk is on a SSD.
The Files are on a normal HDD
The Resolve-Software ist on a SSD

The OS is on another SSD
Intel i7-8700 3.7 GHz
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB

Some Ideas?!
Usual Issue?
Need Help...
Thank You

Marc Wielage

Re: Loading Circle (for few seconds) everytime I move a clip

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 5:11 am

My opinion is that MTS files are very bad for post. My advice would be to convert them to a simpler format with less overhead (like DNxHD or DNxHR) and use those instead.

Most Resolve slowdowns are due to insufficient hardware. 64GB of RAM, bigger GPUs, and faster CPUs all will help. The Config Guide on BMD's support section is pretty rigid in terms of what the program needs to run efficiently.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

JF Robichaud

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 1:08 pm

Do you have Live Save on? This might be the cause. It saves with every operation you make, which may cause the delay. The time to save is proportional to the complexity of the latest operation. Typically, moving a single clip should not cause much of a delay. I would expect a significant delay when duplicating a timeline or pasting a large number of clips. But I’ve seen cases when even the simplest operation caused a major delay (at a client with a slow-responding shared database). Turning live save off made the problem go away.

apfilm

PostTue Dec 04, 2018 11:15 am

JF Robichaud wrote:Do you have Live Save on? This might be the cause. It saves with every operation you make, which may cause the delay. The time to save is proportional to the complexity of the latest operation. Typically, moving a single clip should not cause much of a delay. I would expect a significant delay when duplicating a timeline or pasting a large number of clips. But I’ve seen cases when even the simplest operation caused a major delay (at a client with a slow-responding shared database). Turning live save off made the problem go away.

Thank You, this may really be the problem
Haven't tested it yet, cause DaVinci seems to freeze every time after I start it.
Have to solve this problem first.

apfilm

PostTue Dec 04, 2018 11:23 am

Marc Wielage wrote:My opinion is that MTS files are very bad for post. My advice would be to convert them to a simpler format with less overhead (like DNxHD or DNxHR) and use those instead.

Most Resolve slowdowns are due to insufficient hardware. 64GB of RAM, bigger GPUs, and faster CPUs all will help. The Config Guide on BMD's support section is pretty rigid in terms of what the program needs to run efficiently.

thx.. but... I don't think that in this case its because of the GPU or CPU..
Cause the project runs very well when I watch it on the timeline.
And every other Software Adobe Premiere ecc. runs it well.
I think it is the LiveSave like JF ROBICHAUD says..

apfilm

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 10:28 am

JF Robichaud wrote:Do you have Live Save on? This might be the cause. It saves with every operation you make, which may cause the delay. The time to save is proportional to the complexity of the latest operation. Typically, moving a single clip should not cause much of a delay. I would expect a significant delay when duplicating a timeline or pasting a large number of clips. But I’ve seen cases when even the simplest operation caused a major delay (at a client with a slow-responding shared database). Turning live save off made the problem go away.

OKAY - i reinstalled everything.. and after disabling the LIVE SAVE it runs very well...

thank you very much

Return to DaVinci Resolve