Bug? Exporting FCPXML from Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Christian Korahyn

Bug? Exporting FCPXML from Resolve

PostWed Nov 28, 2018 4:03 pm

Hey,

I need to handoff a timeline to another editor working in FCPX. Testing the workflow I discovered, that synced external audio is not written in the XML / FCPXML / AAF when exporting from Resolve
(Using FILE->Export AAF, XML..., not using the DELIVER Tab)

1. Import video in Resolve
2. Import external Audio in Resolve
3. Sync by Hand and link with "Link/Unlink Audio"
4. Make new Timeline
5. Put the synced clips in the timeline
6. Edit
7. Export XML / FCPXML / AAF
8. Import the XML / FCPXML / AAF back in Resolve. Now I have the timeline with the original camera scratch audio but not with the external synced Audio.

Looking in the XML file with an text editor, there's no mention of any .wav file (external audio).

Is this a bug or am I missing something? Thanks!

etang77

Re: Bug? Exporting FCPXML from Resolve

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 12:20 am

Thanks for writing this, I couldn’t have put it better myself!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 3:07 am

In Resolve, when you sync in the media pool the 'new clip' is created and placed on the timeline. The XML only sees the timeline clip. If you render those clips, the xml should reflect the renders.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

etang77

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 4:56 am

Sorry Peter, I’m not understanding the answer completely. But is there anyway to output an XML for audio file?

PieroLass

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 8:13 am

The problem Is that you Lost any reference to the original audio files once they are synched with video. And it's very problematic when you try to find a solution to go to protools with the original audio files(with their metadata). No round trip it's Easy and the protools export option reacreate new mxf files with the same name of the video, basically the same behaviour of what you get with a fcpxml or aaf.
So once you have synched clip (wich Is the most common situation in professional world) you cant bring audio properly outside davinci and it's very problematic.
This issue Is there since the beginning without any Kind of improuvment. Hope It Will be soon so as an aditor you can be more confindent at the end of a job that you Will not get in trouble with sound department. Thanks!!!

Christian Korahyn

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 1:09 pm

So there's no way of exporting a Resolve timeline without rendering all clips when synced audio gets involved?
There needs to be an option to do this! How am I supposed to handoff to another Editor then?

Is there a way to "unsync" the audio in the timeline, to workaround this?
Just a "relink to original audio" command. This would save so much time and audio editors would be very happy being able to see the original .wav file names in their timelines.

Christian Korahyn

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 2:11 pm

BM said they are looking in to supporting useable timeline export with XML, etc.

Still is there a way I can unlink the audio from the video so I can workaround this?

Return to DaVinci Resolve