Resolve 15.2.1, no video in preview windows (black frame)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

herbrand

Resolve 15.2.1, no video in preview windows (black frame)

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 8:55 pm

I would like to point out a problem that I noticed with the latest version of Resolve, the 15.2.1.

Basically, there is no video on every preview window (edit/color/deliver). If I play a video file I can only hear the audio, but the window remains black.

I tried to reset the system settings, but nothing changed. I reinstalled the previous version 15.2, and it works normally.

peterjackson

Re: Resolve 15.2.1, no video in preview windows (black frame

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 9:49 pm

I've seen than only after the GPU memory full message appeared. Sometimes I need to click through different pages for it to recover.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 11:12 pm

@Matteo: Logs?

@Peter: If you ever get a GPU mem error, that puts the GPU(s) in a bad place. And while it might appear to keep working, it's going to have issues. A Resolve restart is recommended.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

David Bierbaum

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 11:58 pm

This is happening to me as well. I have no gpu errors. Just a black preview screen. I'm using my integrated haswell gpu, which worked amazingly well for me on 15.2 (all things considered).

Restarting Resolve didn't help, nor did restarting Windows 10.

Edit: I just reinstalled 15.2, and preview screen still works, so I'll be on that for now. I'm still learning the ins-and-outs of this software, while making my ken-burnes effect slideshows from all the pics I took while out riding my bicycle.

BuckHIcks

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 3:04 am

I am having the same issue with my laptop. The two desktops I run it on worked fine. My laptop, on the other hand, has the issue described above, The audio plays but the video is blacked out both on the preview and on the player screen.

peews91

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 11:49 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@Matteo: Logs?

@Peter: If you ever get a GPU mem error, that puts the GPU(s) in a bad place. And while it might appear to keep working, it's going to have issues. A Resolve restart is recommended.

Getting the same error as Matteo ever since I downloaded 15.2.1.

herbrand

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 8:45 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@Matteo: Logs?

Here you can download the logs.

https://we.tl/t-BNaeDdS1Pn

Kid_Cook

PostTue Dec 04, 2018 2:04 am

Any news on this? I got a similar problem. Also WIN 10. But Resolve Version 15.0.0.086.

Video performance and display via BM Decklink card works perfect in EDIT mode. When it comes to COLOR mode the preview window is black, the video signal is showed but it performs really really slow.

Please help asap!
• DaVinci Resolve Studio 17 | V 17.1.1 BUILD9
• WIN 10 Pro DESKTOP PC | i7-8700K | CPU @3.70GHz | 32 GB RAM
• Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Monitor

Uli Plank

PostTue Dec 04, 2018 2:06 am

Most laptops except the fastest, heaviest and loudest gamer machines are underpowered for Resolve.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Dermot Shane

PostTue Dec 04, 2018 5:21 am

herbrand wrote:Basically, there is no video on every preview window (edit/color/deliver). If I play a video file I can only hear the audio, but the window remains black.

i had similar issues on one machine, i updated the Nvidia drivers and all was good

i had older drivers (384.x) on that machine to support an older MC, hacked the MC driver's list to 417.01 and MC v8.5 seems fine, Resolve seems fine

so maybe check the version of the Nvidia driver and if old, update?

Kid_Cook

PostTue Dec 04, 2018 11:20 am

Found the problem. Indeed it had something to do with the graphics card. In my case i just connected the DVI cable to the wrong graphic card port :| Sorry, my fault!
• DaVinci Resolve Studio 17 | V 17.1.1 BUILD9
• WIN 10 Pro DESKTOP PC | i7-8700K | CPU @3.70GHz | 32 GB RAM
• Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Monitor

herbrand

PostTue Dec 04, 2018 2:04 pm

Dermot Shane wrote:
herbrand wrote:Basically, there is no video on every preview window (edit/color/deliver). If I play a video file I can only hear the audio, but the window remains black.

i had similar issues on one machine, i updated the Nvidia drivers and all was good

i had older drivers (384.x) on that machine to support an older MC, hacked the MC driver's list to 417.01 and MC v8.5 seems fine, Resolve seems fine

so maybe check the version of the Nvidia driver and if old, update?

I have already updated the video driver to the latest version. The graphic card is not Nvidia: it is an Intel Iris 6100 (Intel nuc5i7ryh).

With the version 15.2 of Resolve I have no issues.

Uli Plank

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 12:02 am

I'm surprised you had no issues before, since that Intel GPU is quite underpowered. Maybe you were working at the edge and the new version tipped it over. I'm afraid you need to revert or get a recommended GPU.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

johndaughtridge

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 2:18 am

I’m having the same issue with a box with a Intel HD 620 in it. Even creating optimized media and proxy to low res it won’t show in the windows. I’m trying to make this our corporate video editor of choice but can’t if it won’t run on our mainstream laptops.

Is there something I can do (already updated the driver) to make this work?

Thanks
John’s Films LLC
Austin, Texas USA

Benchmarking Davinci Resolve and more at John’s Film’s on YouTube
At Https://youtube.com/c/john’sfilms

johndaughtridge

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 2:19 am

I’m having the same issue with a box with a Intel HD 620 in it. Even creating optimized media and proxy to low res it won’t show in the windows. I’m trying to make this our corporate video editor of choice but can’t if it won’t run on our mainstream laptops.

Is there something I can do (already updated the driver) to make this work?

Thanks
John’s Films LLC
Austin, Texas USA

Uli Plank

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 7:37 am

If you can't change your hardware, change the software. I'd suggest to give Lightworks a try.

Pacific

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 7:42 am

Same problem here: appending nodes to five clips resulted in those five clips going black.

I have 15.1.2
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.5 Build 7
2020 27"iMac 4GB Vram 16GB RAM, i9 10-core processor, Mac OS Ventura,

herbrand

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 1:11 pm

Uli Plank wrote:I'm surprised you had no issues before, since that Intel GPU is quite underpowered. Maybe you were working at the edge and the new version tipped it over. I'm afraid you need to revert or get a recommended GPU.

I do not think that the issue is related to the computational power of the gpu: if so, the system would work slowly, but the issue that I am referring to is different. It seems to be a compatibility problem.

Also, the minimum requirement for the gpu is very generic:

"NVIDIA/AMD/Intel GPU Driver version – As required by your GPU"

With the version 15.2 everything works perfectly, and with the subversion 15.2.1 the modifications should be minor (otherwise they would have changed the numbering in a different way).

So, the mentioned issue should be easily solvable, for the developers.

Uli Plank

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 2:29 pm

Well, they also write:
"For processing UHD or 4K-DCI images we recommend 8GB or more of GPU memory (RAM). For some operations 4GB will be sufficient. 2GB is not recommended." How much VRAM do you have?

herbrand

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 5:07 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Well, they also write:
"For processing UHD or 4K-DCI images we recommend 8GB or more of GPU memory (RAM). For some operations 4GB will be sufficient. 2GB is not recommended." How much VRAM do you have?

I am not interested in 4k video, since my maximum resolution is 1920x1080. So this recommendation does not apply in my case.

In every case, again, the recommendation mentioned above is related to the performance of the program: the issue that I mentioned in my first message is due to a bug, and it should be corrected.

johndaughtridge

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 6:24 pm

I also have an Intel HD 620 - In my startup logs..

Start detecting OpenCL boards
[0x000036ac] | GPUManager | INFO | 2018-12-05 12:12:51,863 | Found qualified OpenCL board 0: platform - Intel(R) OpenCL, vendor - Intel(R) Corporation, id - 000001F6ACCA0AC0, device name - Intel(R) HD Graphics 620 id - 000001F6B618A5F0, global memory size (MB) - 6491, local memory size (KB) - 64, max global memory alloc size (MB) - 3245

(System memory has 16GB), portion shared with SOC

However I have the same issue as the OP
John’s Films LLC
Austin, Texas USA

Pacific

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 9:56 pm

Was it all black when you opened the project (from the beginning?)

The same thing happened to me at 15.1.2 - but only after appended one node to five clips. (All clips went black. Appending a node to only two clips worked) I even lost all nodes (all nodes spaces were blank), which I was able to correct by reopening the project. Only the black clips were trashed, and I am trashing the project and start anew.

So there is something that causes this to happen.

It's a nasty bug of the worst kind, and hopefully it gets fixed soon.
Last edited by Pacific on Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

David Bierbaum

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 10:06 pm

My own is just Intel HD Graphics, and my CPU is a Pentium G3220 (Haswell), on a Windows 10 (not 1805) machine

With Resolve 5.2, Resolve of course runs somewhat chuggy, especially if I use Fusion, but it runs quite well with optimized media (HQ works better than HQX when I use Fusion), and most importantly, the preview windows work flawlessly. In 5.2.1, something was changed so that the preview windows no longer show anything. The clip graphics show just fine in the timeline and in the media pool, and images show properly when you scrub across the media pool clips. There are just no previews in any of the tabs.

Trensharo

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 10:47 pm

Uli Plank wrote:If you can't change your hardware, change the software. I'd suggest to give Lightworks a try.
Edius Pro over Lightworks if running an Intel Platform with an iGPU (with QSV). It flies.

Also, MAGIX Video Pro X has impressed me on that level of hardware.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Andy Mees

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 12:06 am

Trensharo wrote:
Uli Plank wrote:If you can't change your hardware, change the software. I'd suggest to give Lightworks a try.
Edius Pro over Lightworks if running an Intel Platform with an iGPU (with QSV). It flies.

Wholeheartedly agree. If you're Windows based, Edius is a fantastic NLE. Incredibly well optimised.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Jeff Brass

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 8:32 am

herbrand wrote:
Uli Plank wrote:I'm surprised you had no issues before, since that Intel GPU is quite underpowered. Maybe you were working at the edge and the new version tipped it over. I'm afraid you need to revert or get a recommended GPU.

I do not think that the issue is related to the computational power of the gpu: if so, the system would work slowly, but the issue that I am referring to is different. It seems to be a compatibility problem.

With the version 15.2 everything works perfectly, and with the subversion 15.2.1 the modifications should be minor (otherwise they would have changed the numbering in a different way).

nope - if the GPU gets overwhelmed chances are you will get a corrupted display output, not just slow performance. Integrated graphics are a big no no for resolve, and the lower end of teh GPU recommendations may be okay if the rest of the machine is up to spec, but if its an older, slower machine then everything gets stressed and at some point just will not cope.

We have to remember this software is incredibly powerful, works at a very detailed level and has a massive amount of tools/capability built in. Stands to reason it needs a good amount of grunt to run it well.
Win10 Pro x64 | i7 5930k|64GB RAM |GTX 1080 8gb | Mini Monitor | DR Studio 16.2

phoenix128zx

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 12:25 pm

Hi All,

I confirm that with version 15.2.1 and Intel Graphics 520 I get no video preview.

I have uninstalled this version then downloaded and installed version 15.2, and now video preview works just fine.

Let's see if anyone from Blackmagic picks this up and fixes the issue... ;)

Kind regards,
Stefano

herbrand

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 1:51 pm

Jeff Brass wrote:
herbrand wrote:

nope - if the GPU gets overwhelmed chances are you will get a corrupted display output, not just slow performance. Integrated graphics are a big no no for resolve, and the lower end of teh GPU recommendations may be okay if the rest of the machine is up to spec, but if its an older, slower machine then everything gets stressed and at some point just will not cope.

We have to remember this software is incredibly powerful, works at a very detailed level and has a massive amount of tools/capability built in. Stands to reason it needs a good amount of grunt to run it well.

Again, the issue is NOT related to 4k video.

Even by opening the project all the windows are black, with full-hd video. Still, the version 15.2 does not have this issue.

I will contact the support of Blackmagic via the online form...

Pacific

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 5:36 pm

phoenix128zx wrote:Hi All,

I confirm that with version 15.2.1 and Intel Graphics 520 I get no video preview.

I have uninstalled this version then downloaded and installed version 15.2, and now video preview works just fine.

Let's see if anyone from Blackmagic picks this up and fixes the issue... ;)

Kind regards,
Stefano

I did the same thing - but my no-video only concerned certain clips, and it happened in 15.1.2 - upgraded to 15.2.1 same problem, downgraded to 15.2 same problem.

There is a bug in the system that gets triggered by certain actions on certain computers, which is why not everybody is having it. Are you editing on a laptop?

markhargrove28

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 9:31 pm

I am seeing the same issue with 15.2.1. No video in preview windows. Downgrade to 15.2.0 and all is well again.

Intel GPU - Intel HD Graphics 620
Mark Hargrove

herbrand

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 5:54 pm

I received an answer from the technical support of Blackmagic.

"From the information you have provided me with, I believe that this is related to a behaviour that we have been made aware of in the latest release of Resolve and is currently being investigated by our development team.
Going forwards, I would recommend remaining on the previous working version of Resolve to continue working.

I would also recommend regularly checking on the support page of our website and social media outlets for any updates to the software."

So, the problem is already known to the developers, and they recommend to revert to the latest "working" version of Resolve (in my case the 15.2), until they solve the issue.

Pacific

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 11:28 pm

herbrand wrote:I received an answer from the technical support of Blackmagic.

"From the information you have provided me with, I believe that this is related to a behaviour that we have been made aware of in the latest release of Resolve and is currently being investigated by our development team.
Going forwards, I would recommend remaining on the previous working version of Resolve to continue working.

I would also recommend regularly checking on the support page of our website and social media outlets for any updates to the software."

So, the problem is already known to the developers, and they recommend to revert to the latest "working" version of Resolve (in my case the 15.2), until they solve the issue.

I have the black frame on 15.1.2 and I'm on 15.2 and one project still experiences it.

I just completed another project without black frame problem. In my case it was triggered by the "append node" command to more than 2 clips.

conley

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 3:22 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Downgrading to 15.2 worked for me as well.

This is my first exposure to DaVinci Resolve. Lots of FCP experience, so I was very confused at both viewers being blank / black on the edit page. If I switched to the fusion page, the video would play.

So again, thank you for the solution to troubleshooting the black viewer / no video problem.

Windows 10 / Laptop / Intel HD 5500

markhargrove28

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 2:21 pm

Problem seems fixed for me with 15.2.2
Mark Hargrove

David Bierbaum

PostSun Dec 16, 2018 2:24 am

15.2.2 fixed the problem for me too. It even gave me more stability than 15.2.0 did.

yrbilla

PostMon Dec 09, 2019 12:57 pm

Just close davinci, Refresh(Ctrl+windows+shift+B) the GPU and Thanks me later. ;)

Return to DaVinci Resolve