ACES Input Transform - Bug?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Stefan Kirste

ACES Input Transform - Bug?

PostTue Dec 04, 2018 11:45 am

We are using ACEScct Color science.
I get srgb Footage. But when i set the ACES InputTransform to srgb on the clip, i have different results in Fusion when using ACES to srgb LUT.
I found out, that the the srgb - InputTransform looks the same like the Rec709 Transform!
And when i do a gammacorrection of 1.2 gamma i got the fusions srgb gamma.

So it is a bug , that the SRGB InputTransform has a gamma of 2.4 instead of 2.2 ?

Jim Simon

Re: ACES Input Transform - Bug?

PostTue Dec 04, 2018 4:04 pm

I'm confused. If you're using ACES at the project level, why are you using a LUT in the Fusion tab. Seems to me you should be setting the proper IDT for the clip on the Media page if it differs from the Project Setting.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Stefan Kirste

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 11:27 am

sure, u need to set IDT for the clip (f.E. Arri) , deliver in ACEScg Colorspace as EXR, but then u need to view what u will deliver at the end, ->srgb, so u will need a LUT in Fusion to transform from ACEScg to SRGB.

JPOwens

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 5:10 pm

Stefan Kirste wrote:u will need a LUT in Fusion to transform from ACEScg to SRGB

Or complete the ACES workflow model and use an Output Transform to match the display colorspace. LUTs are tables, not transforms.

Gamma 2.2 should probably not exist anymore. That is the natural contrast curve for CRT displays... some of which may still be in use, but vanishingly rare.

Seems unlikely that a range mis-match occurs with an RGB through-flow, that usually occurs with 709/full range Quicktime that is converted indiscriminately.

jPo, CSI

Jim Simon

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 7:21 pm

Stefan Kirste wrote:u need to view what u will deliver at the end

That's what the Output Device Transform is for in the Project Settings. So I'm still confused.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Stefan Kirste

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 3:12 pm

in Fusion (standalone) there we load ACES-EXRs from Davinci, and view them in srgb-space .

Hendrik Proosa

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 3:28 pm

Are you using proper ACES transforms or just technical gamut + transfer function transfrom from footage space (ACEScg if I understand correctly) to sRGB? If you don't use proper ACES through OCIO they won't match because you are missing some steps that Resolve is doing.
I do stuff

Cary Knoop

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 7:04 pm

sRGB footage for video? That's odd. Most likely that should be Rec709.

Return to DaVinci Resolve