Rendered videos in Resolve-15

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rafael Ortiz

Rendered videos in Resolve-15

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 2:44 pm

Hey all, I seem to have 2 issue with my videos after rendering with Resolve 15. My render settings are QuickTime: DNxHR-HQX-12-bit or DNxHR-HQ, Data Level: Auto or Video. After the video is done rendering, I play it in QuickTime player, and the video looks brighter than what is in Resolve preview window. But if I render with Data Levels: Full, then the video will play in QuickTime exactly how it looks in Resolve, which is how it suppose to look. Any reason why this happens?

Also, second issue is when I upload the video to YouTube, the video comes out darker than the original. Is this a YouTube compression/setting/etc. issue? YouTube is darkening my videos, looks nothing like the original, exposure wise and maybe a tad more contrast. But if it's a codec setting in Resolve, what must I change? I don't want to use MP4 or H.264, because YouTube degrades the video quality heavily. I also upload my videos in 4K as well. I appreciate anyone's insight on this!

Thanks,
Ralf

Rafael Ortiz

Re: Rendered videos in Resolve-15

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 4:08 pm

For the YouTube issue, I didn't realize my render settings didn't entirely match the YouTube upload recommendations. I'll try again using their recommended settings and see what happens.

Cary Knoop

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 4:12 pm

Rafael Ortiz wrote:I don't want to use MP4 or H.264, because YouTube degrades the video quality heavily.

As long as you have a sufficient bitrate, which is a lot less for long GOP codec settings, there is nothing you can do to influence the quality of your video on YouTube.

Rafael Ortiz

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 4:30 pm

Cary Knoop wrote:
Rafael Ortiz wrote:I don't want to use MP4 or H.264, because YouTube degrades the video quality heavily.

As long as you have a sufficient bitrate, which is a lot less for long GOP codec settings, there is nothing you can do to influence the quality of your video on YouTube.

The bit rate is set to the highest, so that's understandable. I may just have to deal with how YouTube handles the video.

Dan Sherman

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 4:50 pm

imo, your best option is to export a DNxHR master and then use ffmpeg or one of the many gui applications that wrap it, to generate an h.264 or h.265 deliverable using CRF mode. You will save a huge amount of time and bandwidth with no loss in quality.

take a look at this thread i started a while back, when i did a bunch of testing with h.265.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=70234
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

Rafael Ortiz

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 4:56 pm

Dan Sherman wrote:imo, your best option is to export a DNxHR master and then use ffmpeg or one of the many gui applications that wrap it, to generate an h.264 or h.265 deliverable using CRF mode. You will save a huge amount of time and bandwidth with no loss in quality.

take a look at this thread i started a while back, when i did a bunch of testing with h.265.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=70234

I appreciate the info! I will check out the link.

Rafael Ortiz

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 12:59 am

I was able to get everything worked out. Instead of using QT player, since it does a poor job with colors for some reason. And I’ll just use the MPV player which plays the videos the way it should.

For the YouTube apparently there was a setting in my google chrome web browser that I had to change and it solved my issue with the dark videos. It wasn’t the videos, since I would go to YouTube on internet explorer web browser and it would play fine. All is working well now, thank God!

Return to DaVinci Resolve