Stabilizing native resolution timelapses

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

canpoyrazoglu

Stabilizing native resolution timelapses

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 7:48 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to make a timelapse from RAW frames that I shot with my drone. I've converted the DNGs from the drone to TIFF in Adobe Camera Raw. Then I've imported them to Resolve. Even though the drone moves smoothly, it's not perfect and the shots needs to be stabilized. My project is at DCI 4K resolution, and raw frames from the drone are larger, so there is pretty much room for zooming/cropping the raw frames in the tracker.

I've created my timeline and put the frames in. Then I've "aspect filled" the 4K frame, which resulted in a zoom to fill the timeline frame. Then I went to tracker and hit stabilize. It stabilizes fine, but zooms in for compensating for the crop/perspective to avoid black bars.

Here is my problem: when I uncheck zoom, I see black bars around. How can I avoid the black bars without zooming? My original input image data already has much more coverage area than the perspective/zoom effect of the stabilizer anyway so it's causing unnecessary data loss. I don't want to check zoom to lose my wide perspective and the data that I already have.

How do I achieve stabilizing my timelapse properly without the stabilizer working with "already cropped" frames?

Return to DaVinci Resolve