[BUG] Subtitle rendering broken with MXF OP1a exports

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Andy Mees

[BUG] Subtitle rendering broken with MXF OP1a exports

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 4:07 am

Am seeing some buggy subtitle rendering behavior in the edit I'm trying to export for delivery today.
In the timeline everything is fine, in the H264 / MP4 preview export (a Vimeo screener) everything is fine … but when I render out the delivery version XDCAM HD422 MXF Op1a the longer subtitle lines are being broken into separate lines even though there is no need to do so ie they fit within the defined limits. Is this a known issue? I'll post some pics later but for now I have to get on and manually reformat the subs as is to get this project out the door.

Updating with pics, below:

First Image - Clip with subtitle as formatted in the Timeline:

Second Image - Clip with Burnt in subtitle when exported to H264:

Third Image - Same clip with Burnt in subtitle when exported to XDCAM HD422 MXF Op1A:
Last edited by Andy Mees on Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Andy Mees

Re: Unexpected subtitle rendering behaviour

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 11:20 am

And just to add insult to injury, it turns out there is intermittent audio distortion in the XDCAM delivery export as well. No problem in any of the previous exports … and no problem clean split track export either, only on the Full Mix and Int'l Mix exports. Man oh man, I am seriously regretting upgrading right about now. Had none of these problems with exports from 5.1.2.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Andy Mees

Subtitle rendering BUG with MXF OP1a exports.

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 12:10 am

Note: This subtitle rendering bug still exists in 15.2.2 ... if you export to MXF OP1a format with burn't in subtitles then Resolve may ignore your settings and rewrap the text.

Margus Voll

Re: [BUG] Subtitle rendering broken with MXF OP1a exports

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 12:20 am

I saw the same multi line issue with exports as well. Seems a bug.

Repeatable issue!

Sent while walking
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Return to DaVinci Resolve