latest from pro tools export...

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

PieroLass

latest from pro tools export...

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 12:10 pm

Since it's my biggest nightmare I keep writing about my experience dealing with pro tools export…
My latest movie edited in davinci is finished and i was about to send an aaf to the audio postproduction for sound editing and mixing. So, as Always, i start doing test about which way is the best. This time dealing with pro tools export option in davinci gave this: an aaf with handles, but after 10 hours render and you get an aaf that has significant shift of audio clip in every tracks, no way to link to original audio file, since all audio from syncronised clip take name from video, no metadata from original audio files, no audio levels from timeline, no cross fades, and last but not least many audio is silent even if they are just like any other audio in the timeline. So basically it's impossible to give this to the sound department without having a huge amount of complaint.
So for whom is dealing with this basic need as an editor, after many test, with aaf, xml, edl, round trip with any editor software I can say that the best way right now is to do an xml, open it in premiere, and make an aaf as you wish. It's a save our soul situation but at least you end up with somentihing you can work on even if it's far for beeing a perfect aaf.
I hope this topic is addressed as soon as possible because editing a movie knowing that at the end you get in real trouble with the people have to work on sound after you it's terrible, and make wise editing department sticks to old editing software that at least do this very basic job, wich is any way very relevant. For example fo r my latest movie project I need to send audio with metadata and original files so since there is no way to do this from davinci i would have to reconstruit manually on pro tools, and it takes time and money and the producer are not happy and don't understand wjy you have to do that.
So I beg on my knee pleas do somenthing real quick! Xmas is coming...maybe it's time for a present!

Return to DaVinci Resolve